GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take a 5 day trip from Columbus MS to KY (most anywhere that's scenic or unusual) this spring. Typically keep it to nice 2 lane backroads as much as possible. Looking for those "you gotta ride this road" type roads. Always looking for those "out of the way, virtually unknown to tourists" type of stuff along the way. Not much for hiking, but always ready to stop for great pictures. Any input?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Really too many to name. Espically in East Ky. Check out the following: Routes 1, 3, 201, 32, 7, 11, 77, 52, 58, 160, 119 and 30 to name a few. Maybe some of them fall close to your planned direction of travel.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Really too many to name. Espically in East Ky. Check out the following: Routes 1, 3, 201, 32, 7, 11, 77, 52, 58, 160, 119 and 30 to name a few. Maybe some of them fall close to your planned direction of travel.

I agree that Eastern Kentucky is the place to ride. I have relatives in Portsmouth Ohio and Winchester Kentucky so I have spent considerably time in those areas. Eastern Ky roads have more humps than a herd of camels and more curves than a snakes back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I live in KY, and have ridden all over the state, but still finding new roads to ride on. Maybe because I live in the forrest, I cannot see the trees. I cannot think of anywhere here that's a, "must see", but I love seeing whatever comes along, everyday go out for a ride. So to the PO, just break out the map and look for country roads, head down one and just meander around. You may not be awestruck at any point, but your fun meter will stay fairly high. I'd have said the same thing, if asked about any other state I have lived in. Sorry, guess I would make a poor touring guide. LOL

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've done a lot of riding in Kentucky, mostly the eastern side, and I haven't been on many straight roads. Even the interstates and state highways are usually very scenic. I've also found that most of the roads are kept in pretty good condition compared to other states. Another big benefit is there are not a lot of highway patrol, unlike Ohio!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've done a lot of riding in Kentucky, mostly the eastern side, and I haven't been on many straight roads. Even the interstates and state highways are usually very scenic. I've also found that most of the roads are kept in pretty good condition compared to other states. Another big benefit is there are not a lot of highway patrol, unlike Ohio!
Beware, KY Highway Patrol has a long history of unmarked vehicles, and seem limited only to their imagination in what they can use: trucks, SUVs, etc. The most bizarre example I have seen was a mannequin riding in the passenger side. That was way back when they were using Buick Grand Nationals. It worked well because when most folks see a vehicle coming up behind them with two people inside, they ASSume its not LE. As the decades have gone by, they have became increasingly creative. LOL

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have not been to Kentucky yet, its on my list though, I live in NC so not too far from this state.
I use Butler maps for finding new motorcycle roads. It looks like Eastern Kentucky has a lot of motorcycle worthy roads.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
"you gotta ride this road"
"out of the way, virtually unknown to tourists"
66 outta Oneida, Ky. all the way to Pineville, Ky. is exactly that. Follows the Red Bird River for most of it.
This puts you jus' N. of the tunnel at Cumberland Gap commin' into Tn. This is how we usually get home from Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge/Sky Bridge/Nada Tunnel up Slade, Ky.

Top of Sky Bridge mid June...

oh, & if you're schedule allows, there's nothing like E. Ky. mid April when the Redbuds are in bloom!

(NOT my photo...)

Photo By Ed Waggener

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep 'em coming!! Our ride will probably sometime late April - early May so I still have time for those "must ride this one" roads. Thanks to each of you so far for your input.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
One of the reasons why we live in north central Kentucky are the roads that are so suitable for motorcycling. We live on a very winding and undulating road that passes by numerous sinkholes, hills, farmland, ponds, small communities, and thick woods. Just watch out for deer, turkeys, and feasting buzzards.

The photo below was taken in our back yard.

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
Hwy 38 out of Harlan to 68 and 160 at Appalachia to Cumberland. 160 crosses the highest point in Kentucky at the KY/ VA line.
Yep, Black Mountain. In case you have crossed it lately, there is new pavement on the VA side of 160 and the KY side has been cleaned up with the sides cleaned with tree removal. It really changed the feel of riding across Black Mountain.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
'Preciate the intel, Va. side needed it last time we ran it.

Missed the pull off at the top so stopped in the middle of the street,
(no traffic & could see 50 yards in both directions)
Ky. trooper came up the mountain & asked "y'all alright?"
Said "Yep, jus' stowin' helmets"
He grin & said "carry on".
We really dig that run:wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts