GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to go from Central Massachusetts to Elizabethtown, PA over labor day weekend to visit my grandson. About 400 miles each way. The plan is go North of NYC out 84 to the Deleware Water Gap and head south. Trying to avoid NYC as much as possible.

My question is what do people in the area think the traffic will be like over this long weekend. I just don't want to get stuck in traffic.

Plan on leaving early Saturday morning to go down and come back early Monday morning.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I wouldn't take 209 on a good day, much less on a potentially busy weekend. The south end of 209 has horrible roads, lots of traffic, and construction. I'd stay on 84 to Scranton and then go south on 81. It's further, but probably faster.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Get to 80 west, follow to 99 south, then take route 22 east to 66 south. This would take you then to route 30 or lower to 70 to get to elizabeth.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wouldn't advise that route

I drove over the road truck for 36 years before I retired and I ran many trips northeast. It will be longer but much faster and scenic to take I-84 to Scranton Pa and take I-81 south to exit#104 and go south on Pa 501. You will cross I-78 and keep southbound on 501. You will cross I -76 (Pa Turnpike) Keep southbound on 501 to a small town named Lititz there turn right on 772 and follow that to Pa 283 go northbound toward Harrisburg. Elizabethtown will be the first exit you come to on 283

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I drove over the road truck for 36 years before I retired and I ran many trips northeast. It will be longer but much faster and scenic to take I-84 to Scranton Pa and take I-81 south to exit#104 and go south on Pa 501. You will cross I-78 and keep southbound on 501. You will cross I -76 (Pa Turnpike) Keep southbound on 501 to a small town named Lititz there turn right on 772 and follow that to Pa 283 go northbound toward Harrisburg. Elizabethtown will be the first exit you come to on 283
:agree:100% not a bad ride at all :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I wouldn't take 209 on a good day, much less on a potentially busy weekend. The south end of 209 has horrible roads, lots of traffic, and construction. I'd stay on 84 to Scranton and then go south on 81. It's further, but probably faster.
+1

·
Registered
492 Posts
I live north of Boston and have friends in Lititz PA. I make the trip several times a year and this is exactly the route I take. I have tried other routes but always come back to this one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No problem

I know you won't have any problems with this route on a motorcycle or in a car because I used to do it in a 70 foot long rig

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted by Hog Wild

I mapped it out and I like this route. The only reason I have done the Delware water gap in the past is that I would stop and visit a friend in Bethlehem. Not over this holiday weekend though.

Any accomadations recommendations for the Elizabethtown area?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
There's a Holiday Inn Express in E-Town... Just stay away from the Hershey area for rooms. Holiday weekend might not be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts