GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wrecking my 2006 GL1800 the Insurance co is giving me a fit over the Labor. I have a local guy that does Fantastic work. Admittedly a little slow his work is above and beyond. Insurance said I could do it myself or hire anyone I choose, so I chose my friend. Replacement part include: remove bent fork tubes and rebuild forks, replace lower cowl, front wheel, front tire, left brake rotor, rear front fender and fender extender. replace right engine guard and r saddlebag guard, right muffler and right saddlebag. Insurance allowed $435.00 for labor... I think that is way off.... what say you guys?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Unless I'm missing something that rate is ridiculous no way are you going to get all that work done for that friend or not!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Serious low ball. I'd be finding another insurance company.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Doesn't sound that out of line to me.

These items are related--you have to do them to rebuild the forks. Remove front wheel, fender and fender extender, replace fork tubes and rebuild forks. Replace left brake rotor and tire are also semi related because the wheel is off the bike already so you are only going to get a little extra to R&R the rotor on the front wheel. Mount a tire off the bike is usually $20-30. They are not going to pay you for removing the front wheel three times, once for the forks, once for the rotor and again for the tire mount.

Replace lower cowl, right engine guard and right saddlebag guard are simple bolt-ons. The rear saddle bag is the biggest time consumer and that still isn't that involved.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This is a preexisting condition!:joke:
Nice.

Easy solution. Just go to the local Honda Dealer, and get a quote. You already know the extent of the work needed. They won't balk at a dealer quote, would they?? Have them print up a quote for you, and give it to the insurance company. You could just ask how much for a fork service, which would require new bushings, seals, etc. I'm thinking they're trying to low-ball you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't sound that out of line to me.

These items are related--you have to do them to rebuild the forks. Remove front wheel, fender and fender extender, replace fork tubes and rebuild forks. Replace left brake rotor and tire are also semi related because the wheel is off the bike already so you are only going to get a little extra to R&R the rotor on the front wheel. Mount a tire off the bike is usually $20-30. They are not going to pay you for removing the front wheel three times, once for the forks, once for the rotor and again for the tire mount.

Replace lower cowl, right engine guard and right saddlebag guard are simple bolt-ons. The rear saddle bag is the biggest time consumer and that still isn't that involved.
Saddlebag guard, engine guard ARE simple bolt on's once you get to the bolts. If I am not mistaken the saddlebag is a quite involved also. Also the Muffler.... I may not have mentioned that... anyway... all those parts.... torquing the bolts.... I am not a mechanic but that seems low to me, however I will have to live with the Insurance Company. I will not reveal the company name, my intentions are not to run them or anyone down.... they have been great so far other than the labor, and again... I my be wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I agree... they are kind of low...

R&R front end, rebuild forks is good for about $300 (off Traxxion's website for the job)

Front wheel and tire.. new bearings, swap/install rotors, (use new bolts.. they are a one-use item) mount the tire & balance is probably an hour plus easy.. let's say $70 per hour for sake of argument.

Guards & muffler 1/2 hour? $35

Fender extender 1/2 hour? $35

Right saddle bag an hour at least.. swap lights, latch mechanism etc.. $70

Cowl.. 1/2 hour $35

That's $545 and I'm probably low on some of my guesses. Your local dealer with have a higher labor rate, perhaps $80 or $90 per hour, which would of course be more.

There will also be parts, of course.. fork oil, seals & bushings, wheel bearings, rotor bolts, and so on.

glarson3 has the right idea.. get a couple more quotes, especially from your local dealer..

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
What do they pay for labor? I have friends in body work and they get beat up all the time on labor. They only allow 35 an hour for bodywork, but allow full rate 100 for mechanical work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Get a quote

Easy solution. Just go to the local Honda Dealer, and get a quote.
:agree:
Get a quote. Labor rates are flat at the dealership with no difference between body work and mechanical. Here I believe its $89/hr.
...gene

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Take the bike to a Honda dealer and pay them to do a proper estimate for you, and submit the written estimate to your insurance company.
Agree. You can contest what your insurance company is allowing for the labor rate. Don't sign anything with your company until you settle this dispute with them. Let your agent know that you do not accept their labor rate allowance.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
It is a bit low, but not by all that much. You should expect an insurance company's initial estimate to be low. That's the way the game is played.

Do as was suggested in post 5 and get an estimate from a Honda dealer. Call your insurance company first.

Has your friend submitted his own estimate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts