GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Americade and some guys I met asked me if I was going to Laconia. I had no idea what Laconia was until I got back last night.

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/

Anyone ever been there? It looks like a "Harley" bike thing, kind of like an East coast Sturgis, just curious as the SO said, "Hey we should go up there and see what this is all about" .........I almost fell over when she said that as we just put almost 900 miles on this past week and SHE wants to go again :thumbup:

I'm just curious if it's all loud pipes and drunken stupidity going on and how it stacks up to Americade. She won't tolerate the "Sturgis" type environment............don't ask, it's complicated ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Laconia is the same type of atmosphere as Sturgis but on a smaller scale. I live an hour away from Laconia and I have been there once in the last 10 years and that was enough for me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"all loud pipes and drunken stupidity".....if it is it has not changed since the seventies when I attended every year, and, yes, I was part of the loud pipes and drunken stupidity.....ah, to be young again!:lol:

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
I was at Americade and some guys I met asked me if I was going to Laconia. I had no idea what Laconia was until I got back last night.

Anyone ever been there? It looks like a "Harley" bike thing, kind of like an East coast Sturgis, just curious as the SO said, "Hey we should go up there and see what this is all about" .........I almost fell over when she said that as we just put almost 900 miles on this past week and SHE wants to go again :thumbup:

I'm just curious if it's all loud pipes and drunken stupidity going on and how it stacks up to Americade. She won't tolerate the "Sturgis" type environment............don't ask, it's complicated ;)

Laconia will make Americade look like a garden/afternoon "Tea" Party"

Matt(BCNV) :shock:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have never been to Americade, but based on descriptions, if you enjoy Americade, you won't enjoy Laconia.

It is a bit "rowdy". I'm about 30 minutes away and don't have any plans to attend. If the weather is nice my wife might talk me into it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to attend.

I have been a couple times, but spending more than a couple hours watching the spectacle this rally really wasn't for me.

jason

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not much there ... been there twice, I was hoping the second time would have been better ... Nope it wasn't

The food places are high price for what you get ..

Too many 1% booths and members ...

Although it's the oldest Rally in US, not really worth the time.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Last time I went to Laconia was over 10 years ago and I won't go back. It is no place to be on a "Jap bike". If it ain't a Harley, it ain't welcome. At least that is the way it was then.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I lived in the Laconia area for 35 years and attended the rally almost every one of those years. At one time it was a very rowdy long weekend event and the National Guard has been called in. Tear gas has been use, cars rolled over and burned, and many arrests made. Several years ago it changed into a week long+ event and has been endorsed by many business people in the area. Police presence has drastically increased, public drinking is not allowed, nudity and even the call for nudity through signs is not allowed, and people can no longer camp on the sides of the road between the race track and Laconia. It is a much tamer event than in past years. Still the rowdy loud-pipes come in large numbers, showing off with public burn-outs, when the weather is warm many women dress in almost nothing. When mingling at the Weirs, the smell of leather, rubber, exhaust, and BO is stifling. Most vendors cater to the Harley group. If I were living closer I'd go the the event just to look around and feast my eyes, ears, and nose.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

Just a bunch of bikers getting together and having fun, something many wing riders just can't understand. :shrug: Americade sucks and Sturgis, Laconia rules...MHO
Harley and some wing folks just know how to have fun!!

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
Just a bunch of bikers getting together and having fun, something many wing riders just can't understand. :shrug: Americade sucks and Sturgis, Laconia rules...MHO
Harley and some wing folks just know how to have fun!!
Yea getting totally wasted, whoring out your girlfriend then waking up in a pool of your own vomit and blood.... Yea those Harley guys really know how to party!!!

I will stick with the bunch that can go for a ride at 0700.....

now go get an asprin and a beer...

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
AMERICADE: the worlds largest touring rally....a relatively calm even focussed on riding, eating, planned events like the rodeo/boat dinner cruises, guided tours, seminar speakers, rider safety courses and of course all the factory demo rides.
Don't forget the two tour expo sites where people spend money on all sorts of things for their motorcycle
Americade started as the "Aspencade" but over the years has become an "all brands/models motorcycles accepted event"
Many couples attend, groups of friends and even families

STURGIS: been there as well...not a "family" venue but a place where normal middle class folks get to play dress up biker for a week....anything goes and much comes off :oops: during the evening hours...heavily centric on the HD crowd...lots of wild behavior, drinking...many drug arrests reported..stayed at the Buffalo Chip, awesome shows each night, lots of drinking and many naked or half naked women collecting beads and overall lewd behavior (I have pictures my wife has not seen!)
Some go for a week of binge drinking and wild behavior...while we were no angels, we also had a great time riding around the beautiful contryside of South Dakota and Wyoming

LACONIA: used to be a wild "Sturgis of the East" type of event but over the years has calmed down...unlike Americade or even Sturgis which are spread out, Laconia is a self-contained event (more or less) and a place for people to enagage is "Sturgis-like" behavior though not to the extreme, am told it has calmed down over the years...haven't been in years but am told some actually bring their family (EGADS!)...very HD centric...a place to play dress up biker due and dude-ess

Different venues for differnt folks...if you like, dare I say a higher class of event, Americade is the place. Great fun, people and lots to do with great riding in the area
Sturgis and Laconia are a place to play, drink heavily, bash the jap bikes, blip the throttle to see how loud you can be, do burn outs to ruin your tires and run around half or fully nekkid

So my guess is that your wife would not appreciate a trip to Laconia.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's good for a ride-through. I stay up in Littleton for a couple of nights to ride through the area, avoiding the mob at Weirs. I try to be a moving target, tho it's not nearly as rough as in the past.
Bombing around for a day or two, then heading home via route 100 in Vt.
Looking forward to Mt. Washington Thursday for bikes only day. THERE'S a trip if you haven't done it.

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
It's good for a ride-through. I stay up in Littleton for a couple of nights to ride through the area, avoiding the mob at Weirs. I try to be a moving target, tho it's not nearly as rough as in the past.
Bombing around for a day or two, then heading home via route 100 in Vt.
Looking forward to Mt. Washington Thursday for bikes only day. THERE'S a trip if you haven't done it.
you are going to have a blast... Going up is a little tricky with the overheat issue, but it is easily fixed by pulling off and taking a few pictures... Going down is great!!

Have Fun!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yea getting totally wasted, whoring out your girlfriend then waking up in a pool of your own vomit and blood.... Yea those Harley guys really know how to party!!!

I will stick with the bunch that can go for a ride at 0700.....

now go get an asprin and a beer...

LOL

Truely spoken by someone that has no idea:shrug:
You have watched way to many "Wild Bunch" movies!

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
I used to live in NE and know Charlie St Claire, who used to work for me... I know more that you are giving me credit for....... it took me a week to clean the vomit and blood of my face and I never saw my girlfriend again!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV):tongue:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll stay away for now. I'm planning Sturgis next year and the SO said she's not going anyway, so I'll hold out for Sturgis.

That ride up Mt Washington sounds like fun, need to do that, especially after doing White Face.

Thanks.

·
Love The DCT
12,182 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll stay away for now. I'm planning Sturgis next year and the SO said she's not going anyway, so I'll hold out for Sturgis.

That ride up Mt Washington sounds like fun, need to do that, especially after doing White Face.

Thanks.
Don't let some here sway you out of it. Laconia is tame compared to what it used to be. Go to Weirs Beach and enjoy the "eye candy." :doorag:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been there. I guess 1989 was my last time. I made the trek all the way from Colorado from 1985-89 I guess. I rode a 1979 KZ1000MKII up there and had nothing but good guys, no problem with the Harleys vs Japanese at all. I wouldn't stay in Laconia area though, had a motel in Concord or even Brattleboro, VT a couple times. Back then the women were awesome and healthy with minimal layers. Now with modern style there would most likely be very little of that. I enjoyed my time there a lot. It was New Hampshires #1 tourist attraction each year so cops would be cool if you were not a complete moron. Back then at the races at Bryor Motorsports Park or however it was spelled, you could haul in your own beer and drink like a fish. Harleys could be seen with 2 or 3 cases tied on the back. I'm sure now with New Hampshire International raceway as the venue, they don't allow anything. Fun back in the day. Some of my better memorys in my touring.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Never been to Americade.... but been to Daytona many times and Sturgis twice, stayed at the Chip. Had a great time. Never had anyone bashing me for riding a GW, many types of bikes there anyway. Saw a guy get a funny look because he was riding a CanAm spider... course, he was riding on the back and his babe was driving...

I have always had fun at these events. People watching is a must. Yep, some drunk a$$'s here and there, loud pipes, etc. I just keep my distance when necessary.

I agree, go and find out for yourself what it's like... it may not be your cup of tea, but at least you found out yourself, instead of listening to others.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No one has mentioned the racing yet. Like Daytona the event started with Motorcycle races many decades ago. The first three times I went I never saw Weirs beach, not unlike the folks who show up at the Speedway on Sunday. Besides New England has some great roads.
Since the AMA has watered down the racing I have been to Weirs Beach. Pretty tame these days like most all "biker" events. No one parties like they used to. Go and have fun like a few have suggested.

Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts