GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lake Express out of service until Aug. 4

July 26, 2011 12:10 p.m. | The Lake Express high-speed ferry will be out of service for up to 10 days while it replaces a failed engine.
The operators hope to have the ferry back in daily service to Michigan by Aug. 4.
The ship has four engines and can run with just three, but the decision was made over the weekend to take care of the problem now, the firm said in a press release.
The engine replacement will take place in Milwaukee and is already under way. Lake Express is contacting people who have tickets for the coming days and are offering to give a full refund or to reschedule.(8)

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is no good for my folks they leave on Saturday July 30th for MI and had booked passage already.

Guess they have to decide to go around Chicago or take the old slow one. Probably go around Chicago since they are headed to Livonia.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
That boat was 5 hrs late and running on three engines when we took it across over 3yrs ago. The track record on breakdowns reads kinda bad.
First time we ever took it across....pretty nice ride tho.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Carferry

We would recommend the Badger from Manitowoc to Ludington. It may be older and slower. But runs in any sea conditions. It also is a nice ride across the lake. We have taken it several times and has been great everytime. We tried the lake express 1 time and it was too rough for the crossing. Bob

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What a great trip on that ferry. Here's a favorite photo of mine while on the ferry. This was taken from the passenger deck down onto the car deck. The bikes were all up at the front of the ferry. Notice all the teeny tiny Harleys to the left of my Wing. None of the Harley riders would talk to me at first, but during the four hour trip, every single one of them came up to me individually, and privately, and mentioned how much they liked and were impressed with my Wing.

Sweet!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have taken both ferrys many times.
The Badger is our favorite as there are many things to do on it.

We took the Lake Express across and back 3 weeks ago. They had no problems on the way over to Michigan but coming home a week later, They got seaweed or wood in the intake grates. Left the harbor and they gave it power, shook like crazy.
Reversed all engines about a mile out.
That cleaned out the junk and off we went.

2 years ago, we took it from Mi to Wi coming home from Oh.
They were an hour late getting to Mi and we were an hour late getting to Wi.
The problem was like now, had an engine go down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts