GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride to Lake Mead today and FWIW the level of the Lake has Risen 11 feet this season.... Thank you Rockies!

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
15 year Member
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you still see the clock towers at the dam from the new bridge? Used to gauge the lake level by looking at them.

Still there and Still working.....a few more years of light conservation coupled with a healthy snowpack and hopefully I too will see the spillways in full glory!

Matt(BCNV) :cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
We like taking the tour under the Dam. We haven't been to the new bridge yet, so I guess once it cools down we can do an over nighter. Looking forward to trying the "Boulder Dam Hotel" which is about seven minutes from the Dam and new bridge.

·
15 year Member
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We like taking the tour under the Dam. We haven't been to the new bridge yet, so I guess once it cools down we can do an over nighter. Looking forward to trying the "Boulder Dam Hotel" which is about seven minutes from the Dam and new bridge.
The Bolder Dam Hotel is a "Period" Hotel that went through a Beautiful Renovation.... It is a Hidden Gem in Boulder City... My wife and I go there for lunch every once in a while... You will love it...

Matt(BCNV) :cool:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lake mead..

Wife and I will be out there in October. Couldnt believe how low the water was when we were there last year! Glad to hear the stuff is getting deep~! We will check out the Boulder dam Hotel while we are there! Thx for the tip! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was there last September and the level was incredably low. Long walk from the marina parking lot to the docks.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Took a ride to Lake Mead today and FWIW the level of the Lake has Risen 11 feet this season.... Thank you Rockies!

Good thing you got help from the Rockies, cuz we took a vote here in the
Midwest, and decided we're NOT sending you desert rats any water..........LOL..........:thumbup:

Sorry Matt, I'm presently out of meds.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Good thing you got help from the Rockies, cuz we took a vote here in the
Midwest, and decided we're NOT sending you desert rats any water..........LOL..........:thumbup:

Sorry Matt, I'm presently out of meds.
:wrong:

See, yer on the wrong side of the Continental Divide, anyway...

Us desert rats to the south get what Nevada & California don't use, anyway. :joke:

We won't rub it in too bad when we're riding in November, December, January & February, either.

:lol:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
We won't rub it in too bad when we're riding in November, December, January & February, either.

:lol:
Oh, Now thats just plan MEAN......:frown:

·
Registered
792 Posts

Considering it is still being tapped at close to the same rate with the growth of the area, 11' is quite an increase with the size of Mead. It will take quite a while for it get back up to the old water line though. Heard a report the other day that this coming winter weather is predicted to be similar to the last thanks to the continuing La Nina. We still have snow on the ridges near here that are usually bare by May.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I left Vegas in 1985 for work in Western New York and if I remember correctly it was 1983 when they had to open the spillways at the dam, that was quite a sight to see all that water cascading down through those chutes.

Last time I was back there was about two years ago and that lake was very low in comparison, Echo Bay was no more, in fact the boat launch area was reclaimed by dirt and dust, shame............I hope it comes back to normal at some point, that is a beautiful place.

·
15 year Member
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I left Vegas in 1985 for work in Western New York and if I remember correctly it was 1983 when they had to open the spillways at the dam, that was quite a sight to see all that water cascading down through those chutes.

Last time I was back there was about two years ago and that lake was very low in comparison, Echo Bay was no more, in fact the boat launch area was reclaimed by dirt and dust, shame............I hope it comes back to normal at some point, that is a beautiful place.
Odd say, well I say, that it will overflow before it empties out.... I am keeping my fingers crossed.... Before I leave this earth I would like to see the spillways doing their jobs...

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts