GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I will be leaving in a few days for a trip up north. We will have six days or so to tour northern michigan. We plan on riding up the eastern side of Lake Michigan. Cross the Mackinac bridge. Probably head up to Lake Superior's southern shore. We will head back south down the western shore of Lake Michigan.
What are the must see/must do destinations in the area? Any suggestions on lodging? Great places to eat? I've looked pack on the older posts using the search but still wanted to get any and all ideas. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
When you get int the U.P. get yourself a copy of UP Travel.
Has more info about the U.P. then you have time to see.
Travel on M 28 across it as most places are on the north side of the U.P.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Copper Harbor and the Keewanaw pennisula. is a must do. Beautiful country and IMO not to be missed. Enjoy your trip as there is much to see. Check out the Monastery bakery south of copper Harbor. The jesuit priests are awesome bakers.

Going up the Eastern shore of Lake MI I would highly recommend highway 119 running from Harbour springs to Cross villlage, a most unique road for sure. About a 20 mile ride. Great lunch or breakfast place in cross village(can't remeber the name, but it should be obvious as it is a small village)

Munising area has pictured rocks National seashore area.

Fred

·
Registered
999 Posts
Google Lake Superior Circle Tour.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A friend and I will be leaving in a few days for a trip up north. We will have six days or so to tour northern michigan. We plan on riding up the eastern side of Lake Michigan. Cross the Mackinac bridge. Probably head up to Lake Superior's southern shore. We will head back south down the western shore of Lake Michigan.
What are the must see/must do destinations in the area? Any suggestions on lodging? Great places to eat? I've looked pack on the older posts using the search but still wanted to get any and all ideas. Thanks in advance!!
Our Chapter took our annual vacation using almost the same route. If you stop in St Ingnas, MI go to the Hillside Resturant. Great food and people. Also If you get up to L'Anse on US 41. They have Cinnimon Rolls the size of a loaf of bread and they are Goooooood!
By the way my mom's family is in Clinton, KY. They had / have the Jckson Ins Agency.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just got back from doing the UP, good trip in spite of tornado warnings last Friday afternoon near Escanaba and Menominee. Got pounded with heavy rain, ugh.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies so far. Getting closer to time to pull out and I can't wait. Plan so far calls for stops at Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinaw Island, the shipwreck museum, Painted Rocks Park, and ??? I already have the literature on the Lake Superior Circle tour and it has been very helpful.
Would love to here more suggestions on things to see. Hate to miss out on anything!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far. Getting closer to time to pull out and I can't wait. Plan so far calls for stops at Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinaw Island, the shipwreck museum, Painted Rocks Park, and ??? I already have the literature on the Lake Superior Circle tour and it has been very helpful.
Would love to here more suggestions on things to see. Hate to miss out on anything!
Have a great ride. That restaurant in Cross Village is "Leggs" you will enjoy it. White fish point and the shipwreck museum will be a great stop for you.

Like I said earlier if you have the time go up to copper Harbor, a most pleasant ride up one side and down the other of the penisula. Traverse City area and the Lelanau Pen is another wonderful ride.(never sure of the spellings on all these places LOL) Anyhow I have lived in MI most of my life and still have not explored all of it. Enjoy, and welcome to our beautiful state.

Fred

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Michigan

Jon,

Just north of Manistee, MI take M-22 along the shoreline. Nice road with almost constant sweepers. It will take you right to Sleeping Bear. Be sure to ck all of the turnouts until you get the best view of the lakeside of the dunes. TC is a nice town, but at this time of year, traffic can be problematic. I know a great route around it, if you're interested pm and we can talk about it. The hiway leaves the shoreline for a ways north of Traverse City. A good sidetrip that will still keep you going north is to travel up the east or west shore of Torch Lake. You haven't mentioned M-119 (the Tunnel of Trees). I rode it yesterday and was reminded that the road continues north from Legg's Inn along Sturgeon Bay (great swimming) for several miles and is perhaps a better ride than M-119. I would also reccomend the Antlers restaurant in Sault Saint Marie, Mi.

Richard

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will have total days to do the trip. Hopefully one day up and one day back. Hope to stay in the area for six full days.

I had noticed looking at the map that the highway moved away from the shoreline for a stretch. Nice to have an alternate route that will keep us going in the right direction. Thanks!

Any suggestions for lodging? ( other than chain locations ) I really enjoy small interesting places or bed and breakfast type deals.

·
Registered
999 Posts
In Houghton, MI it's the Super 8, seriously and ask for an even numbered room. The view out the window is incredible, right on a river that is gorgeous and fantastic walking/biking paths right there. We really lucked out on that one. It would be a good place for two nights if you want to really explore the Copper Harbor area, we only stayed one night.

Muinsing, MI http://www.sunsetmotelonthebay.com/ No reason to even consider any other motel, go there and you will understand.

Sault St. Marie, MI http://www.lockview.com/ Lock View Motel, directly across the street from the locks, park the bike right there and walk to good restaurants and the locks. If you like micro brewery beer there's a WONDERFUL new place just down the street.

One of my favorite MN towns is Grand Marais, it reminds me of New England and the setting is perfect. We did the Super 8 there years ago because it was the only place that did not require 2 nights. It's OK and right on the highway, clean and quiet.

Hope this helps. I just got home Sunday from last weeks trip to the UP, loved it. One of my favorite roads is the north shore drive out of Duluth, never get tired of the road.

Just thought of one more, Econo Lodge in Menominee, MI. Nearly new and VERY nice. We had not planned on staying there but the weather forced us to stop, ie. tornado warnings. Ask for a room that overlooks Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
don't miss the best

Going so far north and not going into Canada and the northern 1/2 of the Superior circle tour would be a shame. From Sault STe MArie Canada to Thunder Bay ( all in the same Province) is a great ride with specatular lake views. The south to Duluth and home. I found the Upper Penninsula UP to be somewhat flat and straight from town to town and quite a few Leo's to keep me on the straigh and narrow. Just a suggestion from a Canuck who really enjoys going south in the spring to ride in the Smokies.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Oldwing is right, from Soo to Thunder Bay is very nice, but remember -- you will need a passport. Not sure how much you like to ride in a day but from Kentucky you've got a pretty big day to get there.

The UP can be flat and boring at times, take the time to get away from those roads and look for the scenic byways. I was surprised to hear you talk about Leo's, we saw one in 3 days on the UP and I'm glad we only saw one :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I totally agree with the previous comments on the Canadian side of the Lake Superior ride, myself and three brothers just got back yesterday and had a ball.

The Canadian experience started right at customs, the female officer that questioned me was perhaps the most beautiful woman I've ever meet. I knew from there on it was going to be great.

We did find prices a little higher than the states but not dramatically. We also found plenty of gas stations which is not what we expected.

The ride was one hill after another with beautiful views of forests and the lake. The road was smooth and well maintained. I'm sure we'll be back someday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
UP Circle Tour

I-75 to M134E to M129 to M28W to US41N to Brockway Nose to M26 to US41S to M203 to US41S to M26 to 45S to US2E.

Did this run 2 yrs ago, and it took me 6 days. It will show you the start of US 41 that goes to Miami, Fl and the snow gauge. You better be prepared for some cold weather, it got down to 43 degrees the first week of Aug in Baraga, Mi, and we were camping. So if you are staying in Hotels than you will be good. Stay in the Mom & Pa ones, they are less expensive, and you will learn some area facts.

Have fun.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Welcome to the boards tomkat22. I've ridden my Wing on all the good roads within and outside the Brooksville/Inverness/Crystal River (Ozello Trail) triangle a number of times. That's the best areas to ride in FL as far as I'm concerned.

Your Michigan UP route was very good. If anyone is interested in riding it, I suggest adding the following.

Stay on M134E all the way to De Tour Village. The Lake Huron shoreline is picturesque. From there, take any of the north/west roads back to M129.

Once you get on M29W, go about 35 miles to Hwy 123. Go north and follow Hwy 123 all the way around until you come back to M29W. You'll see both upper and lower Tahquamenon Falls. By the way, north of Paradise at Whitefish Point is the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

So many roads. So little time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Way up there on L Mich is Petosky. Ride that road along the shore north. The Avenue of Trees is pretty sweet. Slip up to Bliss and then wander back over to I-75.

There is an almost new hotel up at Paradise up towards Whitefish Pt.

H58 from Deer Park thru Grand Marias and over to Munising is a purt good little road too.

Did a trip up that way this summer.....read about our adventure here >>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700424

It was a blast.

FIDO :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts