GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ship is the Misener Steamships’ MV Selkirk Settler. The photos (except for the first shot of the ship in calm waters) were taken during a crossing of Lake Superior during the month of November in 2006.

This wasn't even a particularly severe storm.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
That just reinforces the idea that the high seas are not for me.

On a trip to the outer banks a couple years ago I got to talking to a biker that was in the coast guard and he was telling me of making rounds and going out on the deck for a walk around and seeing the foot prints of the previous sailor on the sidewall of the ship as his would be as well before he was done.

I am greatfull for those people but I am not one of them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Were the fish biting? Or do you go too fast for trolling?

Used to fly over Whitefish Bay and figured I'd rather be bouncing in the air than rock and rolling down there on one of those ships. Just don't pull an Edmund Fitzgerald out there!

Neat pics. I'll show my wife so she can see that 3 foot waves weren't that bad when we were fishing off Drummond Island. It could always get worse.

Also noted that the ship is a salty - should have encountered as bad or worse crossing the worlds oceans. Although Lake Superior, many of the Great Lakes, have that bathtub effect on ships. Still, great photos.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The first pic looks like there isn't much cargo. The subsequent pics look like she's loaded down and in some rough seas. It's the 35 foot swell coming over the bow that wakes you up!

FF

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yikes!

I grew up in Sault Ste Marie, which is at the eastern end of Lake Superior. Thinking back over the last 49 years there is only one storm that I recall vividly... November 10th, 1975. That was the day that the Edmund Fitzgerald went down (about 40 miles from my parent's house). This boat wasn't as big as today's 1000 footers but was still a sizable ship at 729 feet. One of the theories as to why she sank was that it hit an enormous wave or waves that lifted the ship up and broke it in half. Superior can spawn enormous storms and late in the shipping season (November and December) it is very dangerous.

http://www.ssefo.com/

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Some of the worst storms up on the big lake are in November. I think I have been out in a couple of storms like that in my boat. LOL's They sure looked like that anyway. One time some people saw us take off in really bad weather and they thought for sure we would sink and drowned, so they bought the paper the next day expecting to hear about a boat sinking. When you grow up on the great lakes you learn a lot of respect for them and know when to make a run for shore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts