GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving Virginia on Wednesday, 7/13/11, on trip to circle Lake Superior on my '08 Goldwing. I will be traveling alone and have allotted two weeks for the journey. I will be prepared to camp if a motel isn't readily available at day's end.

My plan is to head up through Michigan and hug Lake Huron starting at Bay City.

I plan to travel clockwise around Lake Superior starting at Sauté Ste Marie.

After circumnavigating the lake, I intend to stay in Canada and reenter the U.S. at Niagara.

I am open to suggestions as to "must see" points of interest. Great food or lodging experiences are also welcome.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
circle tour

Soo locks boat tour, really informational, not too expensive and doesn't take too much time. I understand Antlers Bar has reopened. If so, a good lunch or dinner. The Great Lakes ship wreck museum at Whitefish point. The pictured rocks National lakeshore (not so reasonbly priced and it does take time). Marquette, the Keewanaw Peninsula, Copper Harbor, Lake of the Clouds, and a nice biker town and the old Capone hangout Hurley, Wi. Duluth has the Aerostitch world HQ. The road up the arrowhead area MN 61 is a good road and next time I'm there I'm going to explore that area some more, but lots of waterfalls along it and Split Rock Lighthouse is a good stop. Grand Marais is a pretty coastal town and then into Canada. There are some big orange mountain buttes sitting out in Lake superior just east of Thunder Bay and the road is wide and smooth and rolling and sweeping sometimes surprising you with beautiful vistas of Lake Superior. I did it counter-clockwise a couple of years ago and want to do it in your direction before too long. Alone and flexible, I'm sure you won't have any difficulty making accomadations. Enjoy yourself and don't hurry it too much. If you have good weather, and you should, it will be a really enjoyable ride.

Have a great time,
Richard

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard,

I have to send some time to digest your most useful post. Nice to know that there is so much waiting to be enjoyed on my journey!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you can take a side trip before going to Sault Ste Marie, go up to Whitefish Point, MI, on the upper peninsula. It's right on Lake Superior, has a lighthouse, and boasts the Shipwreck Museum with artifacts from the Edmund Fitzgerald and other ships. It's worth the trip.

Be sure your gas tank is topped off... it's about 40 miles between stations in the UP.

BTW... You'll love the temps in Michigan. I did a "Great Lakes Ride" at about this time last year when temps here in VA were in the mid-90's... it was mid/upper 70's in Michigan... Ahhhhh! Perfect riding weather! Enjoy!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Richard forgot Gooseberry Falls, very close to Split Rock Lighthouse. Gooseberry Falls is free whereas Split Rock is pricey and it's debatable as to whether it's worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
connection

5th,

It's probably too late to get anything via mail, but keep an eye out for the Circle Tour publication that is available in Soo Ontario and maybe some other towns. There is some info available pdf @ lakesuperiorcircletour.info. Lots more stuff to be found in it. I listed the stuff before, in sequence as you travel in a clockwise direction.
Richard

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just after Thunder Bay there's a little town called Schreiber. It has a nice little restaurant and a good breakfast. It'll be on your right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
done it twice . . theirs a lot to see , pull offs . bayfield wi is a cool town . you would be going not to far from us . nw wis . we like saying at the locks . in sue st marie , very peace full there . goose berry falls , is a great stop .

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
OK, you got me lost ... you're going to do a clockwise tour of Lake Superior starting at the Soo? Since that is the connecting point of Lake Superior and Lake Huron, are you going to turn around and head back around the southern shore of Lake Superior? You might save yourself a few miles by turning west before you get to Sault St Marie, since you'll be there again after you loop the Lake.
Make sure you ride up to Copper Harbor 1/2 way around the bottom of the Lake.
Watch your GPS when you get to Superior, since many of them have trouble getting the intersections right once you cross the bridge into Duluth. I got tired of going around blaocks to find out it was just "confused".
I'll second Grand Marais ... and most of Richard's other suggestions.
Do watch your fuel gauge ... the whole area is certainly not highly populated and gas stations can be far apart. And prepare yourself for sticker shock when you pay for that first tank of gas in Canada.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Peter for your thoughts.

Just to set the record staight ... My plan is to start the Lake Superior Loop at SOO and take the whole lake in a clockwise direction. When I get back to SOO, I plan on staying on the Canadian side and heading eastward for reentry into the States at Niagara or Kingston.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Go online and order this book www.uptravel.com
It has all you want to know about Upper Michigan.
Munising is a great town to visit with alot to see.
Go up to Copper Harbor and ride Brockway Mountain.
Take M-28 across as much as you can.

We go to Munising to Snowmobile and Motorcycle since 1980.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Sorry I am late on this - didn't see the thread :( Hopefully you see it along the way.

Pictured Rocks/Miners Castle overlook just east of Munising - free.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...Z-g;FW5qxQIdCF3X-g&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=12&z=11

Lower Harbor Park, Upper Harbor, Presque Isle, NMU Superior Dome (largest self-supporting wooden dome in the world, you can usually find an open door on the back) - all in Marquette

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...gIddHTK-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1,2,3&z=13

L'Anse, Houghton, Hancock, the Copper Harbor Loop and the Porcupine Mountains:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...ps6j-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5&z=8

Red Cliff Route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...FaT5yAIdSBKD-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&z=9

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Just WEST of Thunder Bay visit Kekabeka falls.

When east of Georgian Bay consider seeing Algonquin Park and possibly crossing back to NY on the east end of Lake Ontario (unless you haven't been to Niagara area before).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the posts! Very useful!!!

But ... we "Wingers" need to get out more. I am staying at a Best Western just south of Canada and there are at least 50 bikes in the parking lot. I have the only Goldwing. Harleys and BMWs are everywhere.

I'm thinking that too many Wingers are spending too much time at their local Dairy Queen. :joke:

Oh, and I have to admit to having an ice creme cone the past two days. So you don't have to give that up to travel!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I woke up early today and have spent a little more time planning the next leg of my journey. I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon at the Soo Locks and I couldn't help but notice that the traffic coming back into the U.S. was backed up all the way across the bridge the whole time I was there! Bummer, I thought until I realized that if I went around Lake Superior in a counter clockwise direction, I would avoid coming back into the U.S. on that bridge. So, I've changed my planned direction of travel from clockwise to counter clockwise.

I think that I read somewhere that the views are better in the counter clockwise direction also.

I had a wonderful, relaxed time at the Soo Locks. (Located in Sault Ste Marie, MI) I lucked out as the largest and 3rd largest cargo ship that ply the waters of the Great Lakes, just happened to be going through the Soo Lock while I was there. I'd highly recommend a stop at the Soo Locks for anyone traveling through Sault Ste Marie.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... consider ... crossing back to NY on the east end of Lake Ontario ...
Interesting. You are the second Canadian to suggest this so I'll definitely take it under consideration.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
counter-clockwise

I just realized that I misread your original post. I thought that you were going counter clockwise. Duh. The good news is that all of the info I gave you earlier is now relevent.

Richard

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
RoadRunner magazine had a 2 part article on that ride. It's on our bucket list.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Thanks for the posts! Very useful!!!

But ... we "Wingers" need to get out more. I am staying at a Best Western just south of Canada and there are at least 50 bikes in the parking lot. I have the only Goldwing. Harleys and BMWs are everywhere.
Travel anywhere in Michigan and you will notice that the vast majority of bikes are Harleys. Usually see a dozen or so parked in front of every bar in the state!

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I still think that as Goldwingers we tend to group all V-twins together and call them Harleys.

Many of the vtwins we see are 'metric'.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts