GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Lancaster Ca. does anyone on this site live around me or know of a Goldwing club in my area. Lancaster is aprox 60 miles north of los angeles in the high desert. Are goldwing clubs good to belong to? I know that each chapter is different, but I've been riding 27 years and have never been a member of any riding club. pros and cons? I ride about 10,000 miles a year and 8,000 are alone, like the lone wolf. what do ya think?

thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of Goldwing. lol. As for riding clubs, as you said, some are good and some are less so. I've found that the same club can be both, depending on active membership. I've also come to the realization that the people I ride with are more close friends than club members. In other words, I met them as club members, but we ride more together than most of the other club members, and they have gradually become real close friends. My wife and I have vacationed with three other couples that we met in the club for 4 years in a row, going to Mount Rushmore, Canada, Colorado, and the Grand Tetons on the bikes. The rest of the club is lucky to get 75 miles from home. Not that that is bad, just the outlook is different.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
KEVBRU said:
I live in Lancaster Ca. does anyone on this site live around me or know of a Goldwing club in my area. Lancaster is aprox 60 miles north of los angeles in the high desert. Are goldwing clubs good to belong to? I know that each chapter is different, but I've been riding 27 years and have never been a member of any riding club. pros and cons? I ride about 10,000 miles a year and 8,000 are alone, like the lone wolf. what do ya think?

thanks, Kevin
Check out the local GWRRA chapter. www.ca1a.org

Monthly Meetings are held on 1st Saturday of each Month
Breakfast: 8:30 am Meeting: 9:00 am
Greenhouse Cafe
1169 Commerce Center Dr., Lancaster, CA

You might want to give the chapter directors, Bob and Pam Hutton, or one of the other chapter officers a call to make sure that the above information is still correct. The phone numbers can be found on the web-site above.

If you decide to visit them, tell them Tom sent you. I was well known for bringing in first time visitors, but I had to move cross-country. They will also buy your breakfast the first time you visit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. i'm like you, if we where riding buddies and we met in bakersfield, i would go for a few day ride. thats the riding these bikes are made to do. maybe i can just look for a local club and find a few members that are like minded, thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks tom, i'll call them. nice to know their is a local group. i'll let them know you sent me and what the heck, any free breakfast is better than no breakfast at all, and i get to see other wings :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
KEVBRU said:
thanks tom, i'll call them. nice to know their is a local group. i'll let them know you sent me and what the heck, any free breakfast is better than no breakfast at all, and i get to see other wings :D
A disclaimer... This group has a fairly hard-core contingent of riding folks, but also more than a few that are there for the social aspect. If the weather is nice, you can expect to see a few bikes, but if the weather is a little off they will come in their cars. That's the nature of the beast. Once the weather improves, you'll see a lot of riding. They like to do one or two overnighters every year, and they'll be an almost-every-week ride someplace. The meetings are usually followed by a ride, but because they are trying to keep everyone happy it could be a short one or a really long one. My favorite after-meeting ride was to go down to Julian for pie. Other times we have just riddent to the Acton airport to watch the planes fly. If you hook up with this group, they encourage people to plan and lead rides, so you can always step up and treat the group to a favorite ride of yours.

As far as group riding goes, this chapter has it down pretty well and if you fall into the middle of the group you'll do just fine. You are always encouraged to ride-your-own-ride, so if you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable with riding in the group, you can opt out of the ride and meet the group whereever they are heading; there will be no hard feelings.

I would really recommend getting to know Bob and Priscilla Kline. They are the chapter educators and Bob works for Honda (he knows all the cool stuff that is going to happen, but usually can't say anything about it). When it comes to technical issues, he is the master (and has direct access to the big-wig engineers) - and he has pulled my fat out of the fire more than once.

This is a friendly group with a pretty wide range of riders, styles, and personalities. I hope you enjoy your time with them as much as I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts