GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw my first 2018 GW in Cbus, Ohio. Wondering: Does this bike have built in lane encroachment warnings? Not sure what the accepted name is for this but I mean a system like in cars where when something is getting close, a light in a mirror comes on to tell the driver there is something there to look at. Maybe lane alerts? Proximity alarms?
Just curious.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Just saw my first 2018 GW in Cbus, Ohio. Wondering: Does this bike have built in lane encroachment warnings? Not sure what the accepted name is for this but I mean a system like in cars where when something is getting close, a light in a mirror comes on to tell the driver there is something there to look at. Maybe lane alerts? Proximity alarms?
Just curious.
The 18 wing does not have that technology.

:doorag:

·
Registered
316 Posts
knowing Honda, it will put it in the goldwing 10 years after other touring bikes get it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
knowing Honda, it will put it in the goldwing 10 years after other touring bikes get it.
Hopefully they are smart enough to never put it on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why would you even want that on a motorcycle, a trike maybe but not on two wheels

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
612 Posts
Honda will need self driving and auto balancing first! When that happens we can eliminate cars and put everyone on motorcycles because then any fool can ride, and don’t forget auto braking.?

Reactions: BlkWing1 and laen

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Mine has one, it's me.>:) Riding a MC requires you to be the alert one-keeps you safe from distracted cagers and now with all the electronics on the MC you too have to be diligent not to become distracted yourself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Muth mirror systems are developing the lane assist mirrors now. However, I do agree with the others the tendency for complacency would have serious consequences. Nothing quite like situational awareness to keep you alive. :thumbup:

Reactions: CarpeDiem and laen

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
No lane alerts for vehicles in the 'blindspot'

but the gps WILL tell give you 'lane guidance' - alert/indicate which lane(s) to be in at turns, exit ramps and road splits.

This includes providing an 'intersection view' as the turn/ramp/split nears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think all these lane assists and automatic braking systems are causing the opposite effect than was intended. Too many people don't take driving / riding seriously any more. They rely on technology to make up for their lack of driving skills
Here in Alberta, Canada the speed limits are a perfect example. Communities all over Alberta have dropped speed limits in town to 40 kmph, school zones are 30. As I am told, speed limits are decided based on the ability of the worst driver, with the worst maintained car, under the worst conditions to be able to maneuver and stop safely. Its ridiculous! Whatever happened to actual "maximum safe speed?" It used to be the limits were based on the fasted reasonable speed, a good driver, with a well maintained vehicle, under ideal weather conditions, could safely negotiate that stretch of road.

Back when I learned to drive I was taught to adjust my speed based on visibility, road conditions, my age, acuity, skill etc. We were taught to think for ourselves. Speed limits here seem to be decided by stay-home mothers with small children who don't have to drive anywhere and are too lazy to watch their children. People don't consider the fact that we are a mechanized society and we rely on vehicles to get ourselves, and our goods, from A to B. People are going to get hit no matter how fast or slow we drive. Perhaps I am somewhat "Darwinistic" but there is some logic in the survival of the fittest. Even primitive man had to watch their children and teach them about the dangers of being eaten by predators. What do we teach our children now? Run into the street if you like, it's the driver's fault if you get hit.

I have been a mechanic for 40 years and I saw this pattern first when cars and SUVs began making all wheel drive an option. Stupid people with more money than brains would say "I don't have to drive slow in the snow, I have all wheel drive." What these idiots don't understand is that all wheel drive just means you can get going fast quicker. It has no effect on your ability to stop. All vehicles these days have ABS brakes on all four wheels so a two wheel drive will stop just as effectively as the four!

On the other hand, if I had a vehicle vicinity warning (as I do on my 2018 Silverado) I would/do appreciate it but.... I still look over my shoulder, actually pay attention while driving, and make the decisions myself. I also have hands free on both my truck and bike. I like the warnings but I don't want the vehicle (car bike or truck) making the decisions for me. I think we should just compel all new drivers to take serious driver / rider training and pass REAL tests to acquire a driving permit. Here in Canada I swear people got their permits out of a cracker jack boxes. The simple act of pulling back into the right hand lane after passing is an act Canadians just can seem to get in their heads.

Riding and driving in the US, I must confess, I found soooo different. On the Interstate highways people actually kept right except to pass. And in many places I found the posted speeds way too fast for my old 2015 F6B, loaded to the t*ts with camping gear, in the rain, at night when I was tired after riding ten hours, etc. I appreciated the fact that "I" could decide how fast to go based on my training and in many cases that speed was below maximum posted. Maybe some of you Americans would disagree but that has been my experience. Here in Canada I very often find the speed I am comfortable with is well over the posted limit and its obvious the majority agree as most drive about 15 to 20% faster than the limit.

So there you have it..... "Everyone is entitled to MY opinion" LOL. Thanks for letting me vent....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts