GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SB-506, the lane splitting bill, is out of committee and reportedly has a good chance of actually making it. This is *great* news, so *please* help it along by letting your state senator know how much you value his support for the bill.

Info on the bill and how to contact your senator can be found on this thread in the TWT forum.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37663&page=2

Lemme type up a sample here in case your writers' block is acting up:

Dear Senator Watson,

I strongly support SB-506, the lane-sharing bill for motorcyclists, and I hope you will do so as well. Lane sharing has worked well to relieve traffic congestion in California, and in other countries such as the UK, for years, and will do so in Texas as well. I urge you to strongly support lane sharing for motorcyclists, and vote for SB-506.

Sincerely,
(your name)
(your city)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Passed senate, on to House

Here's the latest from the TWT board:

"It did pass the Senate 27-4. Now it's on to the House, which will be a bigger challenge. Everyone needs to focus on contacting their state representatives and letting them know they support the bill. It's also important that everyone contact the Speaker of the House since he has a lot of power over what bills get on the floor. We are looking for a House sponsor for our bill and I'll let you know when we find one."

The TWT board merged the lane-splitting threads into one, which is here.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16652&page=28

Also, they indicate that Fox News Austin intends to run a misleading piece on the bill tonight, 3/25, and ask that anyone who can, phone Fox News and object such that they will hopefully pull the piece.
"Can you light FOX's phone lines up?? (512) 476-7777. Just tell them you saw the promo for the piece they want to run about the Lane Splitting bill. That you believe it may not be representing what the bill actually proposes. [they show motorcycles zipping in and out of cars in traffic AT SPEED]. They will have you leave a voicemail... leave one asking they do the piece fairly to the actual bill. If we light up the phone lines now, they will pull the piece, or RE DO it. PLEASE."

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Lane splitting.
The first time I saw it was in California. I was in a truck and it ticked me off a bit that they could do that and I was Stuck where I was. I didn't see that it helped traffic at all except for the few Bikes that were splitting.
Now as biker, I think it would be cool when I come up on those that want to ride the fast Lane next to someone in the slow lane at the same speed.
It sure would be un nerving to be that close to two cars at one time. :shock:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't care if it passes or not. My butt's too wide to lane split anyway!! :shock:

-Dan

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Lane splitting.
The first time I saw it was in California. I was in a truck and it ticked me off a bit that they could do that and I was Stuck where I was. I didn't see that it helped traffic at all except for the few Bikes that were splitting.
Now as biker, I think it would be cool when I come up on those that want to ride the fast Lane next to someone in the slow lane at the same speed.
It sure would be un nerving to be that close to two cars at one time. :shock:
Now you know why I have a modulator on the high beams. To keep people from jumping into my lane in front of me. I only use it when there is a large gap between me and the car ahead of me.

BTW, a lot of the cars will move over to give you more room. One day I guess I need to make a video of my commute to share.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Now you know why I have a modulator on the high beams. To keep people from jumping into my lane in front of me. I only use it when there is a large gap between me and the car ahead of me.

BTW, a lot of the cars will move over to give you more room. One day I guess I need to make a video of my commute to share.

First Time I drove a truck in California, I didn't know it was legal for the bikes to do that. I was stuck in traffic and it pissed me off that I couldn't move. I ended up using up as much of my space as possible. I don't really care if it passed here or not. If it does I might use it on occasion, But I'm sure I'll let other Bikers die first to let the community know we are aloud to do it before I do much of it.
To me it seems there are more important things to worry about than whether or not a Bike can split lanes. :shrug:

·
Registered
423 Posts
This give a REAL benefit to so few. It won't bother me if it passes, but I guarantee it will mostly be performed by sport bikes abusing it in every possible way they can find. This is also posted on TWT and I said there that I ride a Goldwing for pleasure only and never in a big enough hurry to give myself the added risk against a safe ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Guess as long as it is legal people will do it. Pretty sure the insurance companies would have a fkeld day with instances of car doors opening in from of bikes that are lane splitting.

Anyone know where the leability would be in that case. The bike driver or the car driver?

Safe riding

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Guess as long as it is legal people will do it. Pretty sure the insurance companies would have a fkeld day with instances of car doors opening in from of bikes that are lane splitting.

Anyone know where the leability would be in that case. The bike driver or the car driver?

Safe riding

If I'm not mistaken
In California it would be the Car drivers fault.
I think it has something to do with , Why would you open your Car door in Traffic other than to take out a Lane splitter.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Most of the LaneSharing I see is done when the traffic slows to a standstill, and that is when I do it. When used within reason, it is actually safer than staying with the cage traffic waiting to be sandwiched. As mentioned above, many of the drivers make room for you. A few are jerks and purposely move to block you. No biggie, there are jerks everywhere.

It is a major incentive for someone like me. If I were stuck in the heavy traffic like I was in Texas, I'd just take the car to have the climate control. That's one more car off the road. Might not have a big effect for the cagers, but it sure has a big effect for me.

If I'm not mistaken
In California it would be the Car drivers fault.
I think it has something to do with , Why would you open your Car door in Traffic other than to take out a Lane splitter.
Yes, it would be the cager's fault. Depending on the level of injury or for death, the cager could end up doing jail time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It happened to me in CA twice in 15 years, both times pickups stopped in traffic, driver opened the door. Remember you have to be vigilant if you're gonna do this, both times the a*****'s eyeballs in his rear view mirror and his body language telegraphed his clown act in plenty of time to avoid a door ding.

True, many folks really shouldn't do it. But I sure will. Its the only way riding in traffic in Texas, or I suppose any hot and humid area, is bearable for 4 months of the year.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I personally don't support lane spitting in Texas, but to each his own. As it stands now, only one vehicle can legally occupy the same location within a single lane. Would this law mean that if I'm stopped in my lane and a motorcycle decides to pass me in MY lane, he has more right to the lane than I do? What if I accidentally drift to one side or the other while still maintaining my lane and I hit a motorcycle coming around me? I didn't swerve out of my lane but would I still be held liable? I can see the number of accidents (now referred to as crashes) in Texas going way up. JMHO.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

That is because you appear to them as a MC Cop until you pass. Then they are pissed.. Remember we carry in these parts still. Or at least for now!!!!!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That is because you appear to them as a MC Cop until you pass. Then they are pissed.. Remember we carry in these parts still. Or at least for now!!!!!
He was talking about in California, where LaneSharing has been legal for decades. The average driver does not get pissed as it's just part of driving in California.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, George P.. Almost evertime that I see a bike coming in the opposite direction with the modulating headlights, I first think it's a MC cop. If I were in a situation where a bike were lane splitting with the modulating headlight, I would probably move over thinking it's a MC cop. Personally, though, I don't agree with lane splitting, but then California is full of fruits and nuts anyway. Oh George, one more thing. I'll be going for MY CHL next month.

Ron McGowan
Pearland, Texas

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I don't have modulators and many of the cars still move over for me. It's called good manners.

My fiancee does not like lane sharing, but when it gets hot and we are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. She says, "Go ahead, I'll close my eyes..."

·
Registered
471 Posts
Would be great on those hot day's waiting an hr for the Boliver Ferry.
Move me to the front please....
Been there and done that plenty of times. Better have plenty of water while you are waiting for that ferry. Even worst now since the Hurricane wiped out chystal beach. They are running even less ferrys........

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Would be great on those hot day's waiting an hr for the Boliver Ferry.
Move me to the front please....
Bingo. Anyone who has ever been stuck in traffic on a bike knows that lanesharing would be a great thing.

I only do it when the traffic is barely moving, but that is when it is needed most.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts