GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
I did a quick search but didn't see that this news has already been posted. I know it's been talked about but, maybe not the latest. The bill, Senate Bill 1273, was approved by the Governor on March 23 of 2022. It goes into affect, this coming Saturday, the 24th of Sept. There are some simple rules:

1. You cannot do over 15 mph during the lane splitting
2. There must be two lanes, in the same direction when you're splitting lanes
3. The vehicles you're passing, MUST be STOPPED.
4. The posted speed limit on the road you're splitting lanes on, cannot be higher than 45 mph.
Scott
What to know as Arizona motorcyclists are now allowed to filter through lanes, with some exceptions (fox10phoenix.com)

·
Registered
240 Posts
So are you splitting or filtering? And why the 45 mph limit? If there is a dead stop on a highway where presumably the speed limit would be 65+, you are stuck?
I agree that this is more the definition of filtering. But hey, that's still awesome, and I would love to have there here in IL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not looking to stir the nest but......I never understood it. To me, it's an accident waiting to happen. I feel if you are on the road then you should abide by the same rules as a car. I'm a motorcyclist and there is nothing I hate more than motorcycles flying between cars. Another reason for motorists to have a bad taste in there mouth towards motorcycles. We are doing everything we can to be safe on the roads and this law just opens up a lot of variables that make it more unsafe. But....that's my opinion.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I’ve seen a few bikes it do it already. I’m going to take the wait a see how people react to it. I think it would eliminate some of the worry about getting rear ended at a stop light which is a significant risk.

My question is can a rider filter up on a left turn when everyone is stopped which is always a big botteneck.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts
Not looking to stir the nest but......I never understood it. To me, it's an accident waiting to happen. I feel if you are on the road then you should abide by the same rules as a car. I'm a motorcyclist and there is nothing I hate more than motorcycles flying between cars. Another reason for motorists to have a bad taste in there mouth towards motorcycles. We are doing everything we can to be safe on the roads and this law just opens up a lot of variables that make it more unsafe. But....that's my opinion.
I have been splitting lanes in CA 44 years and I have never had an accident while doing so.

The accidents that do happen are a result of riders simply going too fast and drivers not looking. Anyone going more than 15 MPH over is nuts.

In CA we are following the law when splitting lanes. There is NO LAW that states that only one vehicle can occupy a lane at one time.

As far as driver aggression and rage it is virtually non-existent. People are better educated and recognize that it is legal and actually helps traffic flow by removing cars from the road. I have had FAR MORE cars move out of the way than I see trying to hinder a motorcycle.

FInally, if you don't like it, don't do it.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
So are you splitting or filtering? And why the 45 mph limit? If there is a dead stop on a highway where presumably the speed limit would be 65+, you are stuck?
Yeah, well...

There's probably been less than a handful of times I've needed to filter to the front on a road with a 45MPH speed limit.

The other dozens of times, I've been on a five-lane freeway and stationary. In California. :unsure:

I really wanna see what (if anything) happens to the first handful of riders that exploit that design in the law. It was absolutely intended to keep riders from executing a safe maneuver on an limited access highway in those types of conditions.

It'll certainly be pressed into play first in Maricopa County; I'm sure we'll hear about it within days.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I love it even if it does only allow filtering. We have several traffic lights in my area that you will wait a minimum of three light cycles before making it through the intersection. Not any more! :)

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
FInally, if you don't like it, don't do it.
ABSOLUTELY!!! NO ONE is forced to split/filter. If you're not comfortable doing it, YOU DON'T HAVE TO. I split/filtered in CA, Panama, and Germany. During traffic jams on the Autobahn, drivers actually moved away from the broken white line I was approaching them on...they cleared a path for me IDK why people in North America are so anti-splitting.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
IMHO - you're not 16 anymore and you are driving a GW, which isn't too skinny.
What about the guy(s) waiting at the stoplight when you pull up? One of them has to let you cut in.
"look at that stupid SOB"
The second cars back might smack you also.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,300 Posts
What about the guy(s) waiting at the stoplight when you pull up? One of them has to let you cut in.
What-if-aphobia.

What if a driver has an overpowering urge to vomit, opens his window, then projectile-tosses onto you just as you pull up? What if a butterfly attracts a dog with its head out the window, and the dog barks and it startles your passenger who squeezes your abdomen just where your diabetes reader is taped on and that pulls out a hair that stings and the distraction causes you not to see an oil spot and you skid an extra foot? Yet somehow, lane-splitting works everyday for millions of people all over the world

Except it couldn't possible work in the US. What if there's a long line at an ATM and it's blocking the sidewalk just as you want to walk past? Lane-splitting couldn't possibly work here because, as is well known, no one in the US standing on line at an ATM would ever make room for anybody walking by. We just don't do that here.

Oh, wait, yes we do.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts
That's not the way that things happen. If you ever make it to CA let me know and we can go for a ride.

·
Registered
2012 GL 1800.
46 Posts
Utah made the move to "filtering" a couple years ago. Some riders abuse it and some cagers still think its illegal. I dont filter on the wing just because its so wide and some folks dont really leave you much room. I have been know to do it on the Shadows. The sport bikers are the majority of riders I see doing it. We live in the land of big trucks with big mirrors too so there's that to contend with too. I am a fan of it though I dont take advantage very often.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts
Utah made the move to "filtering" a couple years ago. Some riders abuse it and some cagers still think its illegal. I dont filter on the wing just because its so wide and some folks dont really leave you much room. I have been know to do it on the Shadows. The sport bikers are the majority of riders I see doing it. We live in the land of big trucks with big mirrors too so there's that to contend with too. I am a fan of it though I dont take advantage very often.
That's probably the smartest thing to do. I have spent a lot of time in Utah and I don't know that I have ever seen so many drivers who cannot pay attention to the road.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,300 Posts
Glad to see the sanity spreading. Nearly all drivers abuse some driving rule: Most drivers treat speed "limits" as minimums, many drivers drive while talking on phones, some drivers drink of smoke weed, some drivers drive without insurance, some drivers drive on suspended licenses--the list could go on and on. Humans are a messy bunch.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,300 Posts
That's probably the smartest thing to do. I have spent a lot of time in Utah and I don't know that I have ever seen so many drivers who cannot pay attention to the road.
I agree. There may be something in Utah's water. Those people drive like they're in a virtual-reality game and can't really hurt anybody. One time in Salt Lake City I was in a car with a Chinese guy who said, "These people are terrible drivers."

1 - 20 of 170 Posts