GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I agree. There may be something in Utah's water. Those people drive like they're in a virtual-reality game and can't really hurt anybody. One time in Salt Lake City I was in a car with a Chinese guy who said, "These people are terrible drivers."
I once had a Japanese passenger in my car that called me a kamikaze driver.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
That's probably the smartest thing to do. I have spent a lot of time in Utah and I don't know that I have ever seen so many drivers who cannot pay attention to the road.
Truth.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
"What-if-aphobia. "

What a great word! Is that in the dictionary, it should be if it's not. And boy does it round up some people's thoughts on here. This new law is intended to assist in traffic conditions, it's intended to potentially increase SAFETY for motorcycle riders, just as CA's same law by allowing for M/C riders to filter or lane split out of harm's way from being potentially rear ended. As far as its limits, i.e., a 45-mph road, well, number one, it's a start. After growing up in CA and being allowed to split lanes FOREVER, I really missed it when we moved to AZ over 8 years ago.

Every single time I would be 15-30 cars or more back from a stop light, I'd sure as he... wish I could split lanes. As many of you know, the temps here in AZ can get a bit WARM for lots of our riding season. Sitting and inch-worming through at least 2 signal changes in any kind of heat SUCKS bigtime!

As far as a driver in a cage at the front of the line at a stop light, and a rider pulls up alongside as I've done ten bazillion times in CA, not once, EVER did I ever, EVER hear any derogatory remarks, no yelling, no horn honking, no engine revving, no shot guns being pointed at me, NOTHING ever happened. All that did happen was, when the light turned green, I'd simply throttle it a bit more than normal and I was in the lead away from all of the maddening crowd(s). If you don't think it's a good idea (lane splitting/filtering), don't do it. It's not rocket science.

And speaking of "filtering or splitting", I mean, who really cares what the terminology is? Either way you're motoring in between stopped cars, period. At least in the new law, you're only SUPPOSED to be doing next to STOPPED cars, NOT moving ones. As far as doing any form of lane "filtering" or "splitting" on a stopped 4 or 5 or 6 lane freeway, yep, did that too in CA in the Los Angeles area. That kind of traffic condition was almost hourly there in that town. California Highway Patrol could care less about me doing it as long as I was being sensible about it. I know, I passed several of them in the process over the years.

As far as why do it in ONLY a 45-mph road? Well, if you feel like sitting in the heat with tons of people who aren't really sure what the right pedal is for and you go through 1, 2 possibly 3 signal changes due to their nonresponsive driving practices, by all means, sit there and roast. Your choice. I'll take this new law gladly with whatever kinds of limits it's written with, in a heartbeat.
Scott

P.S. By the way, as far as "waiting" 'till the law has been in effect for a while to acclimate cage drivers to it, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Drivers don't even pay attention to the existing laws that have been around since Christ was a pup. And you think that they're gonna pay attention to a new motorcycle related law, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
Scott

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
"What-if-aphobia. "

What a great word! Is that in the dictionary, it should be if it's not.
I made it up. But now it's on the internet, it's out there forever.
And speaking of "filtering or splitting", I mean, who really cares what the terminology is?
It's useful sometimes. "Filtering" is moving through a clog of stopped cars with the intent of getting to the front and then stopping; "splitting" is moving through a clog of slow-moving cars with the intent to keep moving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's not the way that things happen. If you ever make it to CA let me know and we can go for a ride.
Are you kidding me? What planet do you live on?
So you have never been on a road where there is road construction and it reduces traffic down to lesser lanes what do you see happen? People can't just slow down and get in line. There is always a vast amount of chuckleheads that have to blow by everyone to the very end and force there way in and that causes road rage and actually slows the whole cluster down to even a slower traffic flow. Then add motorcycles jockeying for position. Funny, I was in the military and was stationed all over the US and abroad and saw the same thing every where. I guess California is different. Just because it allowed doesn't make it right. That's where common sense would normally kick in. But a lot of people don't have it.
And so you don't think I'm some newbee on motorcycles, Grew up on dirt bikes since I could walk, but there is a time and place for those types of decisions. Let me ask you a question, and do forgive me if I'm wrong but since it sounds to me like you have not been involved in a car/motorcycle accident and you have a lot of trust in people behind the wheel "Have you ever been hit by a car on your bike?" I have....twice. And it was stupidity on the drivers of the cars in both instances. Happened when I was young and I had moved from dirt to street so my trust factor was high with car drivers at that point. So forgive me if I think driving between cars seems a bit STUPID? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen shorts on YouTube where some dip sheet has his gopro on flying between cars, where it's allowed, and gets flame basted. I just shake my head and laugh. I know the nay sayers will be piping up some more but come on, just because people jump off cliffs doesn't mean I have do it.
All in all....be safe out there....it's a jungle, especially on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
So you have never been on a road where there is road construction and it reduces traffic down to lesser lanes what do you see happen? People can't just slow down and get in line. There is always a vast amount of chuckleheads that have to blow by everyone to the very end and force there way in and that causes road rage and actually slows the whole cluster down to even a slower traffic flow. Then add motorcycles jockeying for position. Funny, I was in the military and was stationed all over the US and abroad and saw the same thing every where. I guess California is different. Just because it allowed doesn't make it right. That's where common sense would normally kick in. But a lot of people don't have it.
And so you don't think I'm some newbee on motorcycles, Grew up on dirt bikes since I could walk, but there is a time and place for those types of decisions. Let me ask you a question, and do forgive me if I'm wrong but since it sounds to me like you have not been involved in a car/motorcycle accident and you have a lot of trust in people behind the wheel "Have you ever been hit by a car on your bike?" I have....twice. And it was stupidity on the drivers of the cars in both instances. Happened when I was young and I had moved from dirt to street so my trust factor was high with car drivers at that point. So forgive me if I think driving between cars seems a bit STUPID? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen shorts on YouTube where some dip sheet has his gopro on flying between cars, where it's allowed, and gets flame basted. I just shake my head and laugh. I know the nay sayers will be piping up some more but come on, just because people jump off cliffs doesn't mean I have do it.
I've been in hundreds, maybe thousands, of traffic jams all over Earth, including in every state in America, and I've honestly never seen what you're describing: a traffic jam "where there is road construction and it reduces traffic down to lesser lanes...and people...can't just slow down and get in line...and there is always a vast amount of chuckleheads that have to blow by everyone to the very end and force there way in and that causes road rage and actually slows the whole cluster down to even a slower traffic flow. Then add motorcycles jockeying for position."

I have infrequently seen a few chuckleheads do chuckleheaded things, and everybody else just looks at them and thinks, "Ahole" and waits for the unclog. There all all kinds of chuckleads on YouTube doing all kinds of chuckleaded things; but probably we won't make all those things illegal just because chuckleheads do them. Imagine a law that said we can't blow a jackass wearing angel wings out of a cannon.

I'm with you on not jumping off cliffs, at least not anymore, but I don't see what jumping off cliffs has to do with lane-filtering.

What-if-aphonbia: treating some far-fetched scenario the same way we treat a likely-to-occur, everyday event. People have been struck by lightning while riding motorcycles. Should we all have to wear lightning-arresting suits in order to ride?

Every possible behavioir could be made illegal on the basis that some chucklehead somewhere has done, or conceivably might do, something chuckleheaded. If what-if-aphobia spreads, it may come to that, in which case it will be a very safe--but very dull--world.

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think this is great and would love to see it here in Connecticut, even lane splitting would be nice (although, it's already happening). In 2005 I rode out to the West coast and spent a little time on the Calif. highways with my GL1500. After sitting in Calif. stopped traffic hoping that I would not be rear ended which, drops a rider on the highway I watched a number of bikes ride up behind me and pass me as they split lanes.

I thought, I'll try it even though I was on a bike 44" wide I was amazed when I saw the cars in front of me, both lanes, move a little to the side to open up a path for the Wing to get through. One passenger even said as I road by the car he was in said, it's about time. I was sure rookie. But I was thankful and thought, this would never happen in Connecticut. Hopefully, in time, it will. It is safer for the riders and better for traffic control to get the motorcycles off the highways when traffic is stopped or slow going.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been in hundreds, maybe thousands, of traffic jams all over Earth, including in every state in America, and I've honestly never seen what you're describing: a traffic jam "where there is road construction and it reduces traffic down to lesser lanes...and people...can't just slow down and get in line...and there is always a vast amount of chuckleheads that have to blow by everyone to the very end and force there way in and that causes road rage and actually slows the whole cluster down to even a slower traffic flow. Then add motorcycles jockeying for position."

I have infrequently seen a few chuckleheads do chucklehead things, and everybody else just looks at them and thinks, "Ahole" and waits for the unclog. There all all kinds of chuckleads on YouTube doing all kinds of chuckleaded things; but probably we won't make all those things illegal just because chuckleheads do them. Imagine a law that said we can't blow a jackass wearing angel wings out of a cannon.

I'm with you on not jumping off cliffs, at least not anymore, but I don't see what jumping off cliffs has to do with lane-filtering.

What-if-aphonbia: treating some far-fetched scenario the same way we treat a likely-to-occur, everyday event. People have been struck by lightning while riding motorcycles. Should we all have to wear lightning-arresting suits in order to ride?

Every possible behavioir could be made illegal on the basis that some chucklehead somewhere has done, or conceivably might do, something chuckleheaded. If what-if-aphobia spreads, it may come to that, in which case it will be a very safe--but very dull--world.
So you DO live on another planet. With your unbelievable luck with thousands of experiences around the world, I would get a power ball ticket tonight. Cliff quote refers to sheeple. Just trying to give others the opportunity to not follow suit since it is not necessary to take unneeded chances with ones life. Possibilities of getting in an accident involving stupid drivers who don't have respect for others on the road waaaaay out numbers the chance of getting hit by lightning on a bike. Again, get that lottery ticket.
Filtering is not a maneuver I would choose to do. If it works for you....fine. We will agree to disagree. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
So you DO live on another planet. With your unbelievable luck with thousands of experiences around the world, I would get a power ball ticket tonight. Cliff quote refers to sheeple. Just trying to give others the opportunity to not follow suit since it is not necessary to take unneeded chances with ones life. Possibilities of getting in an accident involving stupid drivers who don't have respect for others on the road waaaaay out numbers the chance of getting hit by lightning on a bike. Again, get that lottery ticket.
Filtering is not a maneuver I would choose to do. If it works for you....fine. We will agree to disagree. Be safe.
If you don't live on Earth, then yes, I live on another planet than you do. Come visit. There are millions of people here on Earth who lane-split and -filter every day without running into the scenrio that you say--I take your word of course--is common on your world.

There's nothing for us to agree to disagree about. If you don't want to do something you can imagine could hurt you, then don't do it. Sit in traffic, sweat, breathe the fumes, expose yourself and your passenger--you have passengers?--to an unhappy (rear) ending. You're allowed to make that choice. I fully support you. Probably we all do.

Reactions: LDimick

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Just trying to give others the opportunity to not follow suit since it is not necessary to take unneeded chances with ones life. Possibilities of getting in an accident involving stupid drivers who don't have respect for others on the road waaaaay out numbers the chance of getting hit by lightning on a bike.
So, um, how are you going to get into an accident when you are the only one moving? Do you think another bike is going to run up on you? Or did you forget this AZ law only allows bike to split when traffic is stopped? Is this another one of those "whataboutif someone opens a door"?

And has been stated repeatedly, if you don't wanna do it, don't do it.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,333 Posts
Lane splitting is not the same thing as merging. Anytime there is a merger I stop splitting. That is where the Aholes come out. I simply merge and then continue splitting when I think it is safe. Maybe that is the common sense that you refer to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gang,
I did a quick search but didn't see that this news has already been posted. I know it's been talked about but, maybe not the latest. The bill, Senate Bill 1273, was approved by the Governor on March 23 of 2022. It goes into affect, this coming Saturday, the 24th of Sept. There are some simple rules:

1. You cannot do over 15 mph during the lane splitting
2. There must be two lanes, in the same direction when you're splitting lanes
3. The vehicles you're passing, MUST be STOPPED.
4. The posted speed limit on the road you're splitting lanes on, cannot be higher than 45 mph.
Scott
What to know as Arizona motorcyclists are now allowed to filter through lanes, with some exceptions (fox10phoenix.com)
This actually allows lane filtering at stop lights... not lane splitting. The purpose is to avoid rear end collisions. This process is way less liberal than what's allowed in CA.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Gang,
I did a quick search but didn't see that this news has already been posted. I know it's been talked about but, maybe not the latest. The bill, Senate Bill 1273, was approved by the Governor on March 23 of 2022. It goes into affect, this coming Saturday, the 24th of Sept. There are some simple rules:

1. You cannot do over 15 mph during the lane splitting
2. There must be two lanes, in the same direction when you're splitting lanes
3. The vehicles you're passing, MUST be STOPPED.
4. The posted speed limit on the road you're splitting lanes on, cannot be higher than 45 mph.
Scott
What to know as Arizona motorcyclists are now allowed to filter through lanes, with some exceptions (fox10phoenix.com)
Hopefully will not come to Texas we have enough bike fatalities already. good luck

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My biggest issue with this, and it will likely prevent me from doing it, is that I’ve adopted a personal riding policy of never being the first to enter an intersection when stopped at a light. I always let the suckers next to me do the dirty work. No jack rabbit starts for me. It seems the first ones out in an intersection are the ones at the highest risk from what I’ve seen. Your mileage may vary.

I may filter up and sit back a car or two. Not be on the line.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Hopefully will not come to Texas we have enough bike fatalities already. good luck
Texas may be an exception where people are in fact too uncivilized for peaceful lane-splitting or -filtering.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
My biggest issue with this, and it will likely prevent me from doing it, is that I’ve adopted a personal riding policy of never being the first to enter an intersection when stopped at a light. I always let the suckers next to me do the dirty work. No jack rabbit starts for me. It seems the first ones out in an intersection are the ones at the highest risk from what I’ve seen. Your mileage may vary.

I may filter up and sit back a car or two. Not be on the line.
For me, among the best things about it is the perfect visibility you have of all comers from all sides and angles.

21 - 40 of 170 Posts