GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I am not a fan of "lane splitting"or "filtering". If you do a search, it generally states that lane splitting helps prevent rear-end motorcycle accidents. Why because the motorcycle might be between two other vehicles.

So, its legal in some states. It is highly unlikely I would do it, not on my wing.

If I am in my cage, I will not move over in my lane to allow another vehicle to drive between me and the vehicle next to me.

Other than that, have fun.

Oh, my other compliant with the notion of lane splitting is that it classifies motorcycles as being "special". Motorcycles are just two wheeled transportation. Nothing special. We are all equals on the highway. We all must obey the same rules.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Lane splitting is not the same thing as merging. Anytime there is a merger I stop splitting. That is where the Aholes come out. I simply merge and then continue splitting when I think it is safe. Maybe that is the common sense that you refer to.

Drivers in California learned about lane splitting and merging years ago and I can only remember a few times someone tried to squeeze the line between lanes, but more than enough time to slow down and hold my place before I could go by. Lots of people would wave you by and move over to give you extra room.
I've moved out of CA. 7 years ago, but would feel safe going back over there and split a lane more than new states just starting out in merging or splitting lanes until those drivers learn and understand Motorcycles have the right to do so.

Reactions: LDimick

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If I am in my cage, I will not move over in my lane to allow another vehicle to drive between me and the vehicle next to me.
If you get to California, do that in front of Highway Patrol and tell us how much the ticket was when you pay it. A co-worker of my wife paid $85.00, but that was back in the '90's so it might be a little more now.

Reactions: weengers

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
I am not a fan of "lane splitting"or "filtering". If you do a search, it generally states that lane splitting helps prevent rear-end motorcycle accidents. Why because the motorcycle might be between two other vehicles.

So, its legal in some states. It is highly unlikely I would do it, not on my wing.

Other than that, have fun.

Oh, my other compliant with the notion of lane splitting is that it classifies motorcycles as being "special". Motorcycles are just two wheeled transportation. Nothing special. We are all equals on the highway. We all must obey the same rules.
If they are no longer as well-maintained as they once were, our highways are well-engineered and the lanes are wide, so people mostly don't have to move over to allow us to lane-split; we have enough room, even on the Goldwing. (And if we don't have enough room, we don't lane-split.) People move over as a courtesy, and it's nice. In a world that's full of anger, that makes you feel better about people's basic decency.

Motorcycles are already "special." They are exempt from many laws that apply to cars, including seat belts and airbags. There are motorcycle-specific credentials for drivers' licenses, special tags, special insurance riders. On the plus side, they ride free in diamond lanes, and here there many parking garages that let motorcycles park for free. If they weren't special, they'd be cars.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Drivers in California learned about lane splitting and merging years ago and I can only remember a few times someone tried to squeeze the line between lanes, but more than enough time to slow down and hold my place before I could go by. Lots of people would wave you by and move over to give you extra room.
I've moved out of CA. 7 years ago, but would feel safe going back over there and split a lane more than new states just starting out in merging or splitting lanes until those drivers learn and understand Motorcycles have the right to do so.
The urban legends about people opening doors in front of you were never true, but California now periodically puts out PSAs about lane-splitting, and they seem to help. More people move over for me than ever did before.

Reactions: Clamper

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For me, among the best things about it is the perfect visibility you have of all comers from all sides and angles.
I agree. That’s what I do at present when I’m on the line. My concern with filtering up to the line is I’ll feel social pressure to be the first to move forward because the polite drivers we have here will likely wait for me to do so.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and drivers will roll down their windows to chat.

Its not a new concept for sure.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
I agree. That’s what I do at present when I’m on the line. My concern with filtering up to the line is I’ll feel social pressure to be the first to move forward because the polite drivers we have here will likely wait for me to do so.
I get that. If there's a vehicle coming through the intersection, I wait. Sometimes I'll wave a car by me; but if there's a vehicle coming through the intersection, the cars beside me don't want to go either.

Not you, because I've read a lot of your posts, and I know you're a reasonable guy, but a lot of riders seem to be concerned that if lane-splitting were to become legal where they live, they'll feel peer pressure to do something they think is foolish and dangerous, and they don't want to ride that way. Lots of people here don't lane split for that reason. No one razzes them about it. (We would if we could, but there's no time; we're going by them too fast.)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Luckily in my little piece of Wisconsin large volumes of traffic are not a problem. I have had to lane split or is it filter between some rogue cows on the road a time or two. If Wisconsin passed lane splitting/ filtering I would give it a try if the need arose. When the time comes hopefully, I will not catch chuckleheaditis and exhibit What-if-aphobia

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,333 Posts
Lots of people here don't lane split for that reason. No one razzes them about it. (We would if we could, but there's no time; we're going by them too fast.)
The ONLY rider I ever wanted to razz was the CHP who was holding me up because she was not as proficient as splitting lanes on the carpool stripes. To her credit, she did move over in the lane and let my "too big for lane splitting" wing go past. But instead, I gave her a friendly wave. :)

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
The ONLY rider I ever wanted to razz was the CHP who was holding me up because she was not as proficient as splitting lanes on the carpool stripes. To her credit, she did move over in the lane and let my "too big for lane splitting" wing go past. But instead, I gave her a friendly wave. :)
Among the most fun rides I've had was drafting an LAPD motor cop as he lane-split the 110S through downtown LA, about four miles through B2B traffic with him parting the sea of cars like some latter-day Moses on a motorcycle. Then he exited toward the police academy while I continued, way more slowly, to Pasadena.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,333 Posts
I did some research on lane splitting. When Dr Hurt wrote his report in the 70s he had three students help him. All three are still involved in the motorcycle safety industry. One of them, James Ouelett wrote a paper called, "Lane Splitting on California Freeways" In it he reviewed the 1976 study and compared it with data form 2011 in US and Europe.

One of his conclusions was: "
The simple fact that only five of 900 crashes (0.6%) involved a motorcycle splitting lanes
suggests that lane splitting is simply not a great problem in the overall population of motorcycle crashes.
Perhaps it is simply coincidence, but more than 25 years later, nearly identical results were reported in
Europe for the Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study (6) of 923 motorcycle accidents: only 4 crashes
(0.4%) occurred when the motorcycle was splitting lanes. That is, lane splitting made a trivial
contribution to the motorcycle accident population in both Los Angeles (late 1970s) and Europe (1999-
2000). In Los Angeles, more than three times as many crashes were caused by roadway defects (n = 18)
or pedestrians and animals (n = 16) than the five lane-splitting collisions"

Yes, this is selective quoting, and I would encourage you to search for the article. It is a PDF that can be read and downloaded.

AZ is moving in the right direction!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I just watched the news here in Tucson and the news expert just went down a list of a bunch of bills going into effect in 2 days. Most having to do with Covid related laws deemed illegal. No mention of the new motorcycle filtering law. I really hope the safety experts invest some time and money into public awareness on this issue. It would go a long way I think.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Are you saying you don't care what the law says? If so, that sounds like the beginning of road rage.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Are you saying you don't care what the law says? If so, that sounds like the beginning of road rage.
I am not required to obey unjust laws. If I am ticketed for not complying, assuming the law requires me to move over, I will protest to the extent of the law as I am allowed.. No one is special. There is one exception, I will move over for "emergency vehicles" since they are trying to do a job that is required. But moving over for a motorcycle just to allow them to get ahead of me when it was there choice to ride/drive/be upon said device is unfair and should not be allowed.

Note: Just look on YouTube for videos that show what some riders do in this case. It sets a very bad example of us...

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I

Motorcycles are already "special." They are exempt from many laws that apply to cars, including seat belts and airbags. There are motorcycle-specific credentials for drivers' licenses, special tags, special insurance riders. On the plus side, they ride free in diamond lanes, and here there many parking garages that let motorcycles park for free. If they weren't special, they'd be cars.
That is balderdash and you know it. Seatbelts, airbags,,,,,,,,, really. We both know why....

No we are not special. We ride two wheels by choice. We have to obey the same rules of the road. If you don't like the rules of the road, don't ride a motorcycle.

Its simple.

I am tired of people requesting exemptions and permissions because of specific choices they make. Riding a motorcycle is a CHOICE. Simple.. You do not have to. You can drive a car.

Oh, and oh by the way here is a statement from the link below :

Potential Dangers
While one of the primary purposes for lane-splitting is for motorcyclists to avoid being rear-ended, the same Berkeley study noted that LSM were more likely to cause rear-end collisions. 38 percent of motorcyclists rear-ended another vehicle while in the process of lane-splitting compared to the 16 percent of non-lane-splitting motorcyclists.
Opponents of lane-splitting argue that motorcyclists are already 29 times more likely to die in an accident than passenger car drivers and that lane-splitting only increases the risk. Potential dangers used to advocate against lane-splitting are:
  • Door Openings - Motorcyclists need to be wary of swinging doors, especially when lane-splitting nearby stopped vehicles.
  • Sudden Lane Changes - Motorcyclists are already at a disadvantage when it comes to being adequately visible due to the size of the motorcycle. An unaware driver could easily change lanes if the motorcyclist were to be in a blind spot.
  • Big-Rig Visibility - Not only are motorcyclists more likely to be caught in a truck's blind spot, but they also have less visibility due to the truck's length. As a motorcyclist rides the length of a truck, a car could easily cut across lanes of traffic in front of it, causing an accident.
Note: the above is from legal website, not me but it echoes what I said.

But they are lawyers..

Is Lane-Splitting Safe?

And yes, I did not have to comment on this thread but I did because of the "jubilation" at the possibility. It is a dangerous activity as noted above.

Oh and you want to be safer on a motorcycle, try this

Full-Body Airbags for Motorcyclists

Just because it is legal does not mean it is safe.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
I am not required to obey unjust laws. If I am ticketed for not complying, assuming the law requires me to move over, I will protest to the extent of the law as I am allowed.. No one is special. There is one exception, I will move over for "emergency vehicles" since they are trying to do a job that is required. But moving over for a motorcycle just to allow them to get ahead of me when it was there choice to ride/drive/be upon said device is unfair and should not be allowed.

Note: Just look on YouTube for videos that show what some riders do in this case. It sets a very bad example of us...
I think there's some confusion here about what the law is: No lane-splitting or -filtering law requires you to move over. You might get a ticket for deliberately blocking someone's lawful right-of-way--no one is allowed to obstruct lawful traffic--but you're free to choose not to move over to let another motorcyclist go by, and you won't be ticketed if you don't. Moving over is something nice people do for motorcyclists because they can, but it's a courtesy, and it's mostly not necessary; I usually have plenty of room if drivers just stay in their lane. (I can't help expecting more from a fellow rider, but I'm aware there are riders who don't care about other riders.)

The vast majority of riders are sane, responsible, and respectful, so please try to explain what YouTube videos of people behaving irresponsibly have to do with this topic. People think badly of anybody behaving irresponsibly on the highway--or on YouTube--whatever they're operating, but no one mistakes me and my Goldwing, or the millions of other responsible riders here and around the world for someone riding irresponsibly.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
That is balderdash and you know it. Seatbelts, airbags,,,,,,,,, really. We both know why....

No we are not special. We ride two wheels by choice. We have to obey the same rules of the road. If you don't like the rules of the road, don't ride a motorcycle.

Its simple.

I am tired of people requesting exemptions and permissions because of specific choices they make. Riding a motorcycle is a CHOICE. Simple.. You do not have to. You can drive a car.

Oh, and oh by the way here is a statement from the link below :

Potential Dangers
While one of the primary purposes for lane-splitting is for motorcyclists to avoid being rear-ended, the same Berkeley study noted that LSM were more likely to cause rear-end collisions. 38 percent of motorcyclists rear-ended another vehicle while in the process of lane-splitting compared to the 16 percent of non-lane-splitting motorcyclists.
Opponents of lane-splitting argue that motorcyclists are already 29 times more likely to die in an accident than passenger car drivers and that lane-splitting only increases the risk. Potential dangers used to advocate against lane-splitting are:
  • Door Openings - Motorcyclists need to be wary of swinging doors, especially when lane-splitting nearby stopped vehicles.
  • Sudden Lane Changes - Motorcyclists are already at a disadvantage when it comes to being adequately visible due to the size of the motorcycle. An unaware driver could easily change lanes if the motorcyclist were to be in a blind spot.
  • Big-Rig Visibility - Not only are motorcyclists more likely to be caught in a truck's blind spot, but they also have less visibility due to the truck's length. As a motorcyclist rides the length of a truck, a car could easily cut across lanes of traffic in front of it, causing an accident.
Note: the above is from legal website, not me but it echoes what I said.

But they are lawyers..

Is Lane-Splitting Safe?

And yes, I did not have to comment on this thread but I did because of the "jubilation" at the possibility. It is a dangerous activity as noted above.

Oh and you want to be safer on a motorcycle, try this

Full-Body Airbags for Motorcyclists

Just because it is legal does not mean it is safe.
Here's what you said: "Oh, my other compliant with the notion of lane splitting is that it classifies motorcycles as being 'special.' Motorcycles are just two wheeled transportation. Nothing special. We are all equals on the highway. We all must obey the same rules."

You start that post by saying it's "balderdash and know it," but I honestly don't. I have no idea why you think that motorcycles not having to follow the same rules that almost all other vehicles have to follow doesn't make motorcycles special. Being different from the rest is one of the main definitions of special--different from what is usual--so not having to have seat belts or airbags or all the other safety features the vast majority of vehicles on the road are required to have makes them special by definition.

And we're not all equals on the highway. Far from it. Yes, we must all obey the rules (or risk paying a penalty), but we do not all have to obey the same rules. Long-distance truckers have to stay in certain lanes that cars don't. Two-wheeled vehicles with too-small engines can't go on the freeway at all. Operators of motorcycles have to wear helmets and eye protection. Vehicles with two few passengers can't ride in the diamond lane. There are all kinds of special circumstances some vehicles, riders, and drivers have to follow that others don't.

As far as lane-splitting being unsafe, that's relative. Any motorcycle riding is unsafe compared to cars, and that's true whether a rider is lane-splitting or not. There's actual data that shows that in some circumstances a lane-splitting rider is safer than a non-lane-splitting rider. (Please would you repost the link to the Berkeley study you're quoting where you claim it says that motorcycles are more likely to cause rear-end collisions. You say there's a link, but it didn't make it into your post. I searched, but the only report I found (Is motorcycle lane-splitting safe? New report says it can be) says the opposite.)

The rest of your post doesn't contain data. Mostly it reports reports of data and repeats what anti-lane-splitting advocates--people who start by looking for, cherry-picking, quoting out of context, and negatively spinning reasons to oppose lane-splitting.

I don't care, and I don't believe anyone else cares. if you lane-split, but it would be useful to people if you posted actual data, not reports of what people say other people say the data says.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

So laws that allow lane filtering are unjust?? WOW!!! Anger issues, much? Please stay on the east coast.

And since you like to cite lawyer web pages, how about a web page that cites an actual university study??? Oh, here is one;

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah, I've been riding AZ highways since 2004 and I don't think I'll be doing this. Rarely is there enough room to fit my bike between the mirrors of two lanes of stopped cars. You want to get shot? Knock some dudes mirror out of adjustment in AZ.

Reactions: dgalileo
41 - 60 of 170 Posts