GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read suggestions about tethering/using a lanyard with gps's. I will be using a ram ball tapped and welded into the clutch reservoir cover with the ram arm and cradle for the 2610.

Are others using some kind of a failsafe attachment so that the gps won't be lost if the mount fails?

Pictures? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The only safety device I have is the power/data/audio interface cord plugged into the GPS. It is a tight enough connection that it will hold long enough for me to pull over and stop if I had to. I use a Garmin 276C.

Carl

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been using a standard RAM mounting system with my StreetPilot III, a fairly hardy GPS for more than 3 years now. I don't want to dissuade you from obtaining a lanyard if you want one, but sincerely, the RAM mount has proven rock solid, and has given me no reason to believe it won't continue to be in the future.

Supplementally, what was previous stated -- that you may very well already have a power cord, and even an audio cord should be enough to hold it in place long enough for you to pull over off the road; but frankly, I've NEVER heard of a RAM mount failing. Now if you don't tighten the key to reasonably cinch the arm on the ball, well, that's a whole different story and all bets are off. Otherwise, there's just that amount of inherent trust you should be able to place in that worthy RAM product.

However, if I WAS to get a lanyard, to make it convenient to put on and remove, I would try hard to hook up a carabiner (mountain-climbing)-type of connection (the metal loop with a sprung gate) where you need only click in the hook to secure it. But again, my honest feeling is that a separate lanyard is no more necessary than you needing to provide extra security tie-downs for your mirrors or saddlebags. Overkill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts