GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam packing a hp laptop in my GL 1800 trunk (black). I went to Mid Ohio this weekend (hot). I got my computer out and the battery was dead after only 3 days in the trunk. I plugged it into outlet at campground and it worked. I have an Electrical Connection Plug & Play adaptor to put cigarette plug in trunk. I would like to know what the maximum heat I should store the computer in and maximum temperature I could charge the battery?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
per the battery on my laptop battery(IBM T41) it says not to expose to over 100 degrees celcius.(212 degrees Farenheit)

I would make sure you have the computer turned 'OFF', not in standby/hibernate mode. I've carried mine in my black wing without issues, but the main concern is when the computer is on and it gets hot. You might be able to find more info from others, but that's all I've been able to find. With the computer turned off, you'll have much less chance of damage.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You might be able to google the model number of your specific computer and find out the specifications for it and the battery as many laptops, even same brand name, use different batteries and have different specs.

Heat kills them!! Even leaving in a car in the heat, sometimes, I can't even get mine to come on until it cools down.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well assuming it is a Lithium Ion battery. it will be affected greatly by temp hot or cold. typically you should not charge or use a battery that is hotter than 40 C or 104. this is not out side temp but the temp in the trunk. If it is hotterthan that let it cool before you do any thing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
you may want to remove the battery from the computer and store it someplace cooler......

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'll have to echo GLARSON3 (BTDT) ... you need to power down the laptop, not put it on "hibernate". I've gotten home after a 4 hour ride in 105deg temps and discovered the laptop was almost too hot to touch. Now I have a sticky on the cover reminding me to shut down if I'm heading to work or back home.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
you may want to remove the battery from the computer and store it someplace cooler......

Even wrapped in towels(after it has cooled), etc should help insulate it a bit. Try to keep it as cool as possible. The heat is NOT good for the battery(just like extreme cold), but generally, once it cools down you'll be ok. Repeated exposure to extreme heat/cold could affect the battery's ability to hold a charge. I think the 100 Celcius is where you might have 'catastrophic' failure(kaboom), which could be quite dangerous. Just don't try charging it while it's in the trunk. That can wait until you get to your destination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts