GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am a tech idiot , I am asking the question here.

Any of you guys used a laptop as a GPS. Obviously this would be used in a RV or a large sized vehicle.

I have read a bit on the hardware & software needed.

In a motorhome the large screen would be nice if the resolution is good on the larger laptop screen.

:?

My 2610 works well for me on the 1800 & the cages, I saw this laptop GPS deal and I got interested in it.....LOL

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a laptop with several maping programs in my 4x4. DeLorme Street Atlas, DeLorme Topo, Microsoft Streets & Trips, and perhaps most used is Ozie Explorer with scanned USGS and Green Trails maps. Also have Garmin mapsource for interface with the GPS.

Like any electronic device (including but not limited to cell phones, music players, etc.) use appropriate caution when trying to actually drive at the same time you are trying to use or observe a laptop map. I normally fold the cover closed, which turns off the display, unless I am stopped, or have someone else who can pay attention to the PC while I'm driving.

On the bike, I use my Garmin 276C with City Select.

Carl

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've tried a number of mapping/navigation/gps packages for the laptop, mostly several versions over the years of Microsoft Streets and Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas. While very nice and in some case more capable (like speech detection so you can give it commands), for the most part, they suffer when compared to a dedicated bit of electronics like the Garmins.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This works great and is brain dead simple to install and use.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/
Inexpensive and you do not need a hot rod laptop to run it. As I recall, even Win98 version of microsoft windows will run it. Get the USB version as the serial port version is more of a pain in the ass and more expensive.

By the way, the honda nav system is a stripped down version of the Garmin 18!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got a package bundle on Amazon about a year ago that had MS Streets & Trips 2006 and a USB GPS reciever. It was only $80, thought it'd be a good cheap way to play with the technology.

We like it, took it out to the east coast over Xmas and it routed us right to relatives' homes, fast food, shortcut thru unknown towns to avoid traffic, etc. It does take a while to get out the laptop, boot it up, start the software, etc, but we knew that would be the case. Generally we put it to sleep once it's out and we don't need it for a while.

That copilot software looks good but wow, it's $199 for the software alone, $299 with a reciever.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am a Ham radion operator. A group I belong to (North Texas Balloon Project) has been using Delorme Street Atlas and either the Tripmate or any other GPS receiver hooked to a laptop to track high altitude balloons here in TX for many years. We interface the laptop and GPS receiver with a Ham radio and we are able to track the balloon and the other chase vehicles during the revovery.

I highly recommend the Delorme product if you want to run this in a mobile. They also offer a package that included both the software and a receiver if you don't already have one.

http://www.delorme.com/

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys,

thanks for the input . Plenty of information for me to chew on.

8)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
kg5ie said:
I am a Ham radio operator. A group I belong to (North Texas Balloon Project) has been using Delorme Street Atlas and either the Tripmate or any other GPS receiver hooked to a laptop to track high altitude balloons here in TX for many years. We interface the laptop and GPS receiver with a Ham radio and we are able to track the balloon and the other chase vehicles during the revovery.

I highly recommend the Delorme product if you want to run this in a mobile. They also offer a package that included both the software and a receiver if you don't already have one.

I wholeheartedly second this.... been using DeLorme with a laptop for many years when on trips and their stuff is top shelf. Their listings of places to eat and stay is second to none. We have found some awesome restaurants while using Street Atlas over the years; many of them would have been missed if not for DeLorme's SA and GPS receivers.

Now, if they would add current Amateur Radio repeater listings to Street Atlas, it would be a definite winner, at least for the hams among us.

W2TXB

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Overland1 said:
kg5ie said:

I wholeheartedly second this.... been using DeLorme with a laptop for many years when on trips and their stuff is top shelf. ...
Same here... Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Great stuff but it all cost money for all the versions , except nroute if you already have a gps nroute is free

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used my laptop and a GPS antenna. Ran Destinator through Freedrive which has voice commands.
The laptop went in the topbox and sound output went to an FM transmitter so I could pick it up through the radio. Only cost was for the GPS antenna as I already owned the rest. Software was free downloads.
No screen to look at, but I could put in my destination and listen to the voice instructions whilst riding.

It worked but not as well as a Garmin, but it did prove to me that a GPS would be useful and so I went out and spent the bigger bucks on the Garmin Quest.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've been all over the country in my RV with Micrsosft's Streets & Trips w/gps receiver. It costs $89 at Amazon and I love it. It found me a working camp ground in the middle of the winter in western MO. I have showed it to several friends and they purchased it immediately. You can't spend better money on GPS if you already have a laptop. JMHO

Ronnie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Since I am a tech idiot , I am asking the question here.

Any of you guys used a laptop as a GPS. Obviously this would be used in a RV or a large sized vehicle.

I have read a bit on the hardware & software needed.

In a motorhome the large screen would be nice if the resolution is good on the larger laptop screen.

:?

My 2610 works well for me on the 1800 & the cages, I saw this laptop GPS deal and I got interested in it.....LOL
Absolutely. I used one extensively for about 14 years or so. The best I found is the DeLorme Street Atlas... you can get the GPS receiver and software in one package. The receiver nowadays is a small yellow deal that is powered by the USB port on the laptop. I really like the Street Atlas software. In all honesty, it is far better than any standalone GPS currently on the market. And is the benchmark I use for standalone GPS'.

Of course you will need to get an inverter for the car to power the laptop and you turn off power options so the screen won't cutout. It has voice directions and you can set it up to take voice commands... never found that too useful myself.

The biggest problem is where you sit the laptop while in use. In my van I had a floor mount. In the car the opposite seat was used... or my wife's lap if she was there. You CANNOT sit it on the dash - the heat will kill your laptop's LCD... don't ask.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts