GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Not bad..I just ordered a Dell Mini 9 today for $186 from the Dell site.

512Mb of RAM
Ubuntu instead of XP Home
4Gb SSD

Think it would be perfect on the bike for checking email and
sending photos.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I picked up an Acer Aspire One Wallyworld 367/with 3/years warrenty

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Make sure you read trhe reports on these little notepad computers. They are quite slow and have a very small keyboard. You can check out the reports on www.consumereports.com

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I picked up an Acer Aspire One Wallyworld 367/with 3/years warrenty
I got the same one two weeks ago at Office Depot for $299. Great little puter to haul in the trunk for easy net browsing or e mailing. Has a 160g hard drive and 1 g. ram 8.9" screen is ok for what it will be used for, as is the keyboard. No CD drive so I had to hook up my external CD drive to it to load the service manual and mapsource to it.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Laptops are really coming down in price.
Many times Dell will have a one day sale.

Also watch the electronic stores. Some have 1 day sales but sell out fast.

·
Registered
228 Posts
With only a 9 in. screen. Forget it. I'll stick with my 17 in. screen. At least that on I can see.

CTWing (Scott Warner)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I picked up an Acer Aspire One for $300 and I like the 160gb hard drive compared to the 8gb in the Dell. Even my 13" Toshiba takes up a lot of room in the trunk so the Acer will allow me to pack easier. There is only so much my iPhone can do. :tongue:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Make sure you read trhe reports on these little notepad computers. They are quite slow and have a very small keyboard. You can check out the reports on www.consumereports.com
It's all relative. I have the Acer Aspire One with XP and it's plenty fast enough for e-mail, web browsing, word processing, etc, etc etc. In fact Im using it right now to browse GL1800Rider. The keyboard is a decent size, with a very tactile feel..., not much different from my full sized Dell Insperon. And I can get 5 to 6 hours use on a battery charge.

-

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
after retiring, I took my watch and pager off.
What I would give to unplug! This damn Blackberry is like crack!

Does a Heads-up display with internet come on the 2010 model wing??? :wrong:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I picked up an Acer Aspire One for $300 and I like the 160gb hard drive compared to the 8gb in the Dell.
I like the 32Gb Solid State Drive on the Dell ($79) rather than the mechanical 2.5" drive on the Acer. Especially on a motorcycle.

G

·
The Dell mini is a good deal - I have a Asus eeePC mini which has a 16gig flash drive and is running Windows7
Pretty happy with it as I use it in the shop to run Pandora and on the road for OWA.
It take almost no room and I just slip it in with the camera gear.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I, too, have an eeePC but with a 8gig SDHC card running XP with both Mapsource and M/S S&T 2008 on the SD card. It works well for me.

The Dell mini is a good deal - I have a Asus eeePC mini which has a 16gig flash drive and is running Windows7
Pretty happy with it as I use it in the shop to run Pandora and on the road for OWA.
It take almost no room and I just slip it in with the camera gear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My MSI Wind just showed up today. 10" screen, 160gb hd, 1gb ram, running XP, built in web cam, yadda, yadda. I removed the bloatware that it came with, and added a few I use. I am on it now, and the keyboard is about 20% smaller than standard, but nothing a little getting used to can't fix. It is stupid light, and will fit nicely on the bike. I think I already like it better than my old 15" Gateway, much more portable. Thanks for the heads up Fred!

G

·
The Asus is a bit tricky to run due to the small keyboard and flash drives are slower but for moderate use it's a good trade off. I would agree the 10" units from Dell and HP are ideal.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I carry one of my 14" HP's in the back trunk everywhere that I go. I have an aircard (so I have my internet), I watch movies, I can upload/post pictures, and I can keep an eye on the weather when I need to. I see no reason to replace them with something smaller/newer when these work for me.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My MSI Wind just showed up today. 10" screen, 160gb hd, 1gb ram, running XP, built in web cam, yadda, yadda. I removed the bloatware that it came with, and added a few I use. I am on it now, and the keyboard is about 20% smaller than standard, but nothing a little getting used to can't fix. It is stupid light, and will fit nicely on the bike. I think I already like it better than my old 15" Gateway, much more portable. Thanks for the heads up Fred!
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

The same one we just got. I've been using a MSI motherboard in my home built computer for years. The MSI Wind is a pocket rocket!

Processor & Memory:
  • Intel® ATOM Processor 1.6 Ghz
  • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Drives:

• 160GB Hard Drive
  • CD/DVD optical drive is NOT included.
    You CANNOT play a DVD movie.
Graphics & Video:

• 10" WSVGA (1024 x 600) resolution
  • Intel UMA graphics
  • Integrated 1.3MP camera
Communications:

• 10/100 LAN
  • Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
User Interface:

• keyboard
  • Touchpad
  • Digital Array Microphone
Audio:

• Integrated High Definition Audio
  • Built-in speakers
Card Slots:

• MMC/SD (SDHC) card reader
Ports:

• 1x Audio in
  • 1x Audio out
  • 3x USB 2.0 ports
  • 1x RJ-45 port (LAN)
  • 1x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
Operating System:

• Microsoft Windows XP
Power Supply:
  • 12V AC Power Adapter
  • Battery: 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
Additional Information:

• Carrying Sleeve (included)
  • Dimensions: 10.23" L x 7.08" D x 0.748" - 1.24" H
  • Weight: Approximately 2.6 lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dell Mini 9

I have a Dell Mini 9 loaded that works great for traveling. I have to be able to access my work e-mail on the road and this works great. Under $500.00

1 - 20 of 90 Posts