GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all from Northern Hoosierville (land of snow and corn),

I've been looking for some larger diameter grips for the couchrocket. I've got pretty big mitts to begin with, and I have a little trouble with numb hands from minor carpal tunnel and circulation issues. The stock grips would be perfect if only a larger diameter. They are really sticky and look good, but too thin. I like the way the Kury ISO Grips feel (had them on a Shadow) but I'm put off by the chrome look. I know it may sound nuts to some, but I try to avoid chrome in the cockpit area. I've got black hardware on my Baker Wings and prefer the look. Solid black rubber or a black version of the ISOs would be preferred. I'd like to keep the bar end weights too. (I don't want much, huh?) Anybody have any ideas? I've thought about some sort of wrap or foam sleeve, but I don't want it to look Micky Mouse when I'm done.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dear Rob,
at last someone who shares my opinions regarding the stock / Iso grips. I even do NOT have big hands, but I found the diameter of the stock grips way too small for comfort, especially when riding bare handed. So I bought the Kury ISO grips, including the throttle boss. I also do not like the chrome in this area, but what disturbs me more is the soft feeling when pushing the bike around. I have the grips since last May, and I still have the feeling I cannot hold the bike when pushing. It becames even worse when I have to push and at the same time must turn the handlebars. So I am very interested if someone has a solution. I read that the heated grips have a bigger diameter.
By the way, I strongly recommend the throttle boss. It helps a lot when you are using roads with straights too short between bends to use the cruise control.
Roland

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My hands are not that big, but the grips are small. I installed the simple soft foam grips over the heated grips. Cost $5, and really added about 1/4 inch to the diameter. Think it was J&B foam? have to backtrack them. UPDATED Jabco company. Try jabco.com

·
Registered
656 Posts
I too would like to hear from anyone with a cure for the thin handles. The stock grips on my shadow ace were perfect. wish I could get them to fit the wing.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Ronnie.....Can I get you the sun, the moon and the stars while I am at it! LOL... Yes, you are asking for alot. :D

I used the Kury grips for 25,000 miles. I hated them from day one. They would put my right hand to sleep soon after I get on. It's that arthritis thing I guess. I went back to the old stand by foam grips from Drag. $16.95 and they are very comfortable. Yes they have some chrome on them and no you can't use the weights. They are about the size of the Valk and Harley grips.

I've ridden 45,000 miles without the bar weights and haven't missed them yet! :)

There is a company that just sells a foam wrap also. The ones I have seen look kind of what you called "Mickey Mouse".

Good Luck in your search....

Just Got In From A Nice 230 mile Lunch Ride! Grips Worked Fine!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have seen a site that paints the kury iso grips and then it matches your color. i also like the bigger grips.

i had a fat pair of foam grips on my st1100, that worked real well, i even got them to work with the bar weights. cost about $20 at some shop. i found the bigger grips did help the tingles in the hands for me.

loren

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll give the foam grip covers a try first and see where that takes me. I just hope this damn snow melts off pretty soon!

-Rob

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kiri grips could prob be modified to use the weights too. Havn't done it but saw it done on a different bike.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I vote for that www.Foamtubing.com site. They sell one foot sections that you can trim to fit for maximum dia. or the pre shaped and thinner 5" Grip Covers. I ordered the CE Foam 5" Grip Covers for 1.25" to 1.43" grip diameter and a couple of 1' chunks. The thicker 1' pieces are ideal for my big paws while the pre foarmed covers look neater. They even work well over my HotGrips too.
You can't beat the price with any other option I have seen so give it a try, you'll like them.
Jerry

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rob I think if you look around you will find there are more options out there than most have found or looked at. If you just want a larger grip you could use a stock grip off a VTX or a Valkyrie. I have the ISO grips and like them ok. The ISO grips I used were the one's for the Valkyrie, they look the same to me; the difference is in the throttle sleeve. I think you could use almost any grip as long as you reuse your throttle sleeve and the inside diameters and the length is long enough. SAC who is big in the fancy HD grips even shows grips for Goldwing. Some you could reuse the weights with a little work on the end caps. I don't use the weights and I can't tell any difference.

Panther

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rob (from Hoosierville) said:
I have a little trouble with numb hands from minor carpal tunnel and circulation issues. The stock grips would be perfect if only a larger diameter. They are really sticky and look good, but too thin. I like the way the Kury ISO Grips feel but I'm put off by the chrome look. I know it may sound nuts to some, but I try to avoid chrome in the cockpit area.
I'm in the same boat. I'll try the foam and see how that works.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can anyone tell us what the outside diameter of the stock grips is?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went the Drag Speciality route and drilled holes in the chrome end caps to accept the stock bar end weights. A little loc-tite and they haven't moved for the last two years. Piper

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Piper said:
I went the Drag Speciality route and drilled holes in the chrome end caps to accept the stock bar end weights. A little loc-tite and they haven't moved for the last two years. Piper
Piper.....How are you keeping the chrome end caps on? It attachs in the middle of that cap with a screw.

TIA....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts