GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the day I picked up my Wing I have been missing the Kuryakyn Iso Grips I had on the Kaw. I have rather large hands (XXL gloves) and the diameter of the stock grips just seems uncomfortable. The problem is I have heated grips and I don't really want to lose those. Does anyone sell replacement grips in a larger diameter where I can keep the heated feature?

Thanks,

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Bill,
I don't know if it's the diameter of the grips or not. Those O.E. grips are hard as stone and have zero cushion. They definitely are very uncomfortable. I have factory heated grips and don't know what to do to improve them or who makes a better alternative. T.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Click here for a cheap way to increase the diameter of your grips. I bought some on a whim and they work great.
I don't have heated grips, so I can't say whether or not they'd work well for you, but I thought I'd throw it out as a suggestion.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If my math is correct. these would add .942 inches to the circumference of the stock grips. Of course this is a relaxed, or un-compressed dimension. Depending on how "firm" the foam is, these may a good solution.

Silverback,

Do you think they will ever slip? I noticed that the install was with soap and water. Some type of glue on the inside?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Honda Chrome heated grips for the 06 are larger in diam. than the original ones. I have a set that I am waiting for a day of bad weather to put on. Hate to loose a day of good riding weather, the top shelter has to come off to get to the wiring.

·
Registered
267 Posts
grip covers

I had the same problem with my grips, XXL hands and heated grips. I saw a post about these and they worked out great. These are foam rubber slip over grips. They add just enough padding and size to the diameter to make for a veryl comfy ride. The heaters work great and the best part is they are 3 pairs for $15.00! I've had them on for a couple of months and am very pleased. WWW.grip-tek.com, 888-345-2226. Talk to Franci at ext. 1111. To fit over stock grips you want the GCM 5.00

I would give these a try before you spend big bucks on heated aftermarket heated grips.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Re: grip covers

scattergunjake said:
I had the same problem with my grips, XXL hands and heated grips. I saw a post about these and they worked out great. These are foam rubber slip over grips. They add just enough padding and size to the diameter to make for a veryl comfy ride. The heaters work great and the best part is they are 3 pairs for $15.00! I've had them on for a couple of months and am very pleased. WWW.grip-tek.com, 888-345-2226. Talk to Franci at ext. 1111. To fit over stock grips you want the GCM 5.00

I would give these a try before you spend big bucks on heated aftermarket heated grips.
Hey Jake,
Those look like a reasonable and affordable solution. Two questions though: 1. Which specific foam grip style worked so well for you on your GW? 2. Do you have to install the grip covers using compressed air and a nozzle?? Txs, T.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
LeeBos said:
The Honda Chrome heated grips for the 06 are larger in diam. than the original ones. I have a set that I am waiting for a day of bad weather to put on. Hate to loose a day of good riding weather, the top shelter has to come off to get to the wiring.
Hey Leeboss,
I know about these replacement grips and they should definitely look much better but will they will be any more comfortable? T. 8)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have OEM heated grips and went with the grip-tec solution. Yoe must turn up the heat to get the warmth throught the foam but I am pleased with both the temp. and the added diameter. The foam is much better than the hard rubber stocker. A little soap and water was all that was needed for install. I left about 1 inch of the right grip bare so my throttle rocker would still fit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
tvbveb said:
LeeBos said:
Hey Leeboss,
I know about these replacement grips and they should definitely look much better but will they will be any more comfortable? T. 8)
I doubt it, they have no cushioning, but the larger diam. may help.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: grip covers

scattergunjake said:
The heaters work great and the best part is they are 3 pairs for $15.00!
I am trying to digest the fact that you get three sets at a time??? I realize you said you had only had them a few months. I am wondering if they give you multiples because they won't last long, or perhaps their target market is moto-cross where they are getting ripped up.

Hummm....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Size

I think they sell them 3 sets at a time, because it's more economical for them to process and ship an order. I've had mine for 4 months/7K miles in all sorts of environments, and have not experienced any degredation of any kind.

I have the heated grips as well, and the heat seems to blast right through the grip covers.

Installation was a little tricky. Based on other threads I had read, I ended up slathering the existing grip with dish soap and used long strips of thin cardboard as a guide to get the opening over theend of the bar. It took some wiggling and pushing and even a few unkind words, but once over the "hump" it was all downhill.

Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
grip install

As I mentioned in my original post, the model you want is the GCM 5.0. As far as intallation goes it was not all that difficult. I did not use soapy water or air. I remove the black metal piece at the end of the OEM grip then just "messaged" the cover over the OEM grip. It took about 10 minutes to gently push the cover up over the OEM grip but with a little patience it went on and has stayed in place.

They my wear out over time but at $5 a set who cares if you have to replace them every year. The heater still works great. I run my set at "3".

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I've used the Drag foam grip refills the last couple of years, about 40,000 miles. Part number DS-243221. Ain't real pretty, but my hands have never complained. :wink: They're about $5.50 for the pair.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used the same set of Grip Teks for almost three years and they are very comfortable. I had to replace them after I accidently got BULLFROG sun screen all over them, they started to leave black marks on my hands. Luckily there are three to set. I wouldn't ride without them.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered a set of the "grip puppies" from California Sport Touring. No particular reason why I chose theirs over the others except they claim to be "UV" resistant. I suspect they all should be. If they don't work out I can always go to the GripTek solution. Like others said, they are fairly inexpensive.

Thanks to everyone for your posts...I guess I am glad to see that I am not the only one thinking that the stock grips are less than comfortable. :?

Thanks again,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts