GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the front tire on my 2005 Wing; does anyone know what would be the next size up (I do not want to replace the wheel)? :confused: I have the Centramatics installed... (love 'em & gonna keep 'em with new tire)!

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
Don't know about the front, but many will go to the Valkuri tires size. It also fixes the speedo error on 2008s and down. It is just a little bigger and also makes it almost roll onto the center stand.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Turkey, just wondering what you hope to gain and/or change with the bigger size. :shrug: I believe you'll run into clearance issues.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Turkey, just wondering what you hope to gain and/or change with the bigger size. :shrug: I believe you'll run into clearance issues.
...:joke:...Now Now...no need to be name calling here...:joke:...
:lol:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Don't know about the front, but many will go to the Valkuri tires size. It also fixes the speedo error on 2008s and down. It is just a little bigger and also makes it almost roll onto the center stand.
Just in case anybody misses it, the tire size increase to correct the speedo is the rear tire.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just in case anybody misses it, the tire size increase to correct the speedo is the rear tire.
Correct, although I've found a 2.8% under-report of mileage as compared to my Garmin GPS, and about 1mph on the speedo, still - with the 70-series on my '08.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean the Valkyrie?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you mean the Valkyrie?

I believe that their refering to putting a 70 series tire on the rear of the wing which corrects the speedo reading. (This might be the standard size tire that is ran on the rear of the Valkyrie).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that their refering to putting a 70 series tire on the rear of the wing which corrects the speedo reading. (This might be the standard size tire that is ran on the rear of the Valkyrie).
Yea, I know... he did not pay much attention to my post... I NEVER SAID ANYHING ABOUT A REAR TIRE! I have a car tire on the rear! Very satisfied thus no issue! The speedo has been corrected and my post also did not refer to any issues with the speedo.

I still would like someone that has the experience to suggest the next larger size that will work on the front.

Isn't it interesting how people will 'hi jack' a thread and inject things that have absolutely noting to do with the subject matter!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Amazing how so many people will answer a question with a question or to tell you not to do what you asked about. 8 replies and not one offered a suggestion. Absolutley amazing.

The next size up is 150/70r18 but everything I can find about that size is a rear tire. I'd guess if you bought one and put it on and it works you'd be the expert!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazing how so many people will answer a question with a question or to tell you not to do what you asked about. 8 replies and not one offered a suggestion. Absolutley amazing.

The next size up is 150/70r18 but everything I can find about that size is a rear tire. I'd guess if you bought one and put it on and it works you'd be the expert!
Thank you sir! I have an old 150/70r 18 and will see how it fits. If it seems to be OK and the design of the tread looks like it would adapt to front steering... we'll probably bite the bullet and try it.

Yep... I agree... I guess they could be considered hi-jack junkies. If I see a thread and I have nothing to contribute, I don't jump in! Seems like a lot of people want to be heard and seen! :evil: Yep, I agree - absolutely amazing! :thumbup:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Just remember one critical item here.
To big and if you have a flat, you can lock a wheel up on surrounding "items" at low speed trying to stop:eek:4:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thank you sir! I have an old 150/70r 18 and will see how it fits. If it seems to be OK and the design of the tread looks like it would adapt to front steering... we'll probably bite the bullet and try it.

Yep... I agree... I guess they could be considered hi-jack junkies. If I see a thread and I have nothing to contribute, I don't jump in! Seems like a lot of people want to be heard and seen! :evil: Yep, I agree - absolutely amazing! :thumbup:

Paul.I have tried a few rear tires up front.Clearance is going to be an issue.
As you know the front 1800's tires are radial construction.All others tires that might fit will be biased ply.
The problem I found running biased ply up front is "they grow" at higher speeds.

One did this to my fender/ext.

Even without an Extension on the rear fender it will still touch.I read of a few Darksiders who had fender issues too.

What I did was I oblonged the top front bracket holes so I could tilt out the bottom of the rear fender away from the tire.(Nothing is needed on the rear bracket holes)

That solved the tire growing/rubbing issues.
Now you can try different sizes and now know how to modify the top fender bracket if you smell rubber burning?.

·
Registered
693 Posts
tire

I run a rear tire on the front and a car tire on the rear. They work great and I get lots of extra miles. Been doing this for years. If you want to know brand of tire I will have to ck. for you.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Paul the best fit I have found is with a BT-45 140-70 rear on the front.
I've run this size tire in the Summer for 6 years or more with no issues with the Hack bolted up. :cool:

Some say the BT-45 is good in 2-Wheel mode too. ;)

I could give you a few hints on Winter Tires for the front but that is likely well beyond your needs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Yea, I know... he did not pay much attention to my post... I NEVER SAID ANYHING ABOUT A REAR TIRE! I have a car tire on the rear! Very satisfied thus no issue! The speedo has been corrected and my post also did not refer to any issues with the speedo.

I still would like someone that has the experience to suggest the next larger size that will work on the front.

Isn't it interesting how people will 'hi jack' a thread and inject things that have absolutely noting to do with the subject matter!
Turkey,
Certainly NO ONE on THIS board would do such a thing.

BTW, did I ever tell Ya about the over sized tires my uncle had on the front of his bakery truck during WW II?

Come to think of it,... he was in the NAVY!
(maybe it was his boat....) :popcorn:

NEVER MIND, the cruiser

On a personal note to Handley,...
Cliff, Thanks again for your kindness to my uncle a while ago.
I'd send you a sample but (berrrp!) without any preservatives the stuff doesn't last more than a day or two... :wrong:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run a rear tire on the front and a car tire on the rear. They work great and I get lots of extra miles. Been doing this for years. If you want to know brand of tire I will have to ck. for you.
Yes sir, I would appreciate the name and size.

Many thanks, in advance1

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paul the best fit I have found is with a BT-45 140-70 rear on the front.
I've run this size tire in the Summer for 6 years or more with no issues with the Hack bolted up. :cool:

Some say the BT-45 is good in 2-Wheel mode too. ;)

I could give you a few hints on Winter Tires for the front but that is likely well beyond your needs. :rolleyes:
Yes sir, winter tires are generally not needed here in Georgia. Thanks for the tire size... looks like I am well on the way to getting ready to pull the front off!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So bug eye, do you really think they hi-jacked the thread? Maybe others were just offering other Ideas, and you being a Christian could have just said “Hey guys I’ve got a car tire on the rear just wanting more in the front. Or let’s get back on track here, I’m working on the front end not the rear, thanks. But no you just want to create more of a problem with your sarcasm about, being heard and seen.
It was nice of you to correct GoldWingrGreg spelling, but then you let your little buddy’s misspelled word get by, 8 replies and not one offered a suggestion. “Absolutley” amazing.
And why not post this to the Darksiders Board, where other Darksiders would have more experience on this, with the use of Bt-45’s, lasertec, Pirelli sport demon and others. But no you come on the tech board. So who’s the moron. Do you act like a Jack wad in Bible study also?

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262957
Post #11

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Paul.I have tried a few rear tires up front.Clearance is going to be an issue.
As you know the front 1800's tires are radial construction.All others tires that might fit will be biased ply.
The problem I found running biased ply up front is "they grow" at higher speeds.

One did this to my fender/ext.

Even without an Extension on the rear fender it will still touch.I read of a few Darksiders who had fender issues too.

What I did was I oblonged the top front bracket holes so I could tilt out the bottom of the rear fender away from the tire.(Nothing is needed on the rear bracket holes)

That solved the tire growing/rubbing issues.
Now you can try different sizes and now know how to modify the top fender bracket if you smell rubber burning?.

Rocky,
I too have experimented and run a couple of different rear motorcycle tires on the front, bias ply. Had some issues in wear and handling and have decided it is not for me and my style of riding but..never experienced any clearance problems or anything you describe. What size were you running for this to happen. Mine were all the same size rear as the stock GoldWing front. For the OP..if you decide to go this route there are numerous rear motorcycle tires of the same size as the standard GoldWing front and they are readily available, normally much less expensive than a "front tire" in that size. Clearance seems pretty tight up there and would be curious if you find a larger size will work properly without rubbing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts