GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be taking a trip to Vegas the last week of March. Somehow, I was able to convince her to rent a Wing for a day and take a little ride. So, I am looking for suggestions from possibly some folks who are a little more familiar with the area than I. First, does anyone have recommendations as to where to rent from? Second, what kind of gear should I make sure to bring that time of the year. Third, I need a good destination to head for. It needs to be a doable round trip in under 8-10 hours, and it needs to be interesting for her as well. (Hoover Dam is out as we already went there a few years ago, and she is not interested in doing that again.) Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Hoover Dam is a must side trip, good tour and very informative. Also ride out to Red Rock Canyon, there is a loop around the park that is great on a bike. We stayed at the Excalibur but spent most of our time at the Luxor. The Strip is an easy walk.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A must is The Valley of Fire, excellant ride and it takes you along Lake Mead. or head south to Arizona, nice ride there also. My wife and I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Also where you rent the bike will have good sugestions, but take extra clothes, the weather can get cool in the desert quick. :sw1: :flg:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was there this month and had a great time, I checked the rental agency in Vages that most people recomended on this site they were around 130.00 per day I think, if you are going to ride two up they require both people to have motorcycle endorsements. You also can purchase a 5.00 pass for the city bus which will let you get on and off any bus in the city as many times that you want in twenty four hours( #301 ) bus runs up and down the strip. If you get a chance go see Red Rock Canyon and Valley Of Fire State Parks they are good places to see in a car and if you get a bike they would be great places to ride. Temps ranged 50 to 65 during the day and low 40s at night. I'm sure someone can give you the web site for the bike rental agency, have a great time

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wing rental

I cannot comment on this company in any way, as I have never used them. They seem to be a national gig, however and might be worth checking into:

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

·
Registered
674 Posts
Carl

I spent Xmas week in Las Vegas. While there I rented at GL180 from Cruise America. http://www.cruiseamerica.com At that time of the year they were giving a 25%discount and I found them reputable to rent from. If you are a member of HRCA you are at least entitled to a 15% discount.

Some suggestions:
Bring your helmets as they are required to rent . Cruise America does not rent helmets.It is recommended that you arrange a rental before you go to make sure a bike is available when you want it. We brought our own riding gear(full leathers) but it will probably be warmer for you at the end of March. Also only one of you(the driver) is required to have a motorcycle license. A one day rental is a 24 hour period(24 hrs. from the time you pick up the bike and coinciding with their rental hours). A good ride through the desert would be a trip to Lake Havasu City in Arizona. We visited the London Bridge while there(pics posted)It took us about 3 1/2 hours each way. Red Rock Canyon is very close to Vegas and doesn't take long to view, but very pretty.

Here is a link to Webshots if you want o see some of the photos I took while there.
http://community.webshots.com/album/107140000aTELFD

Check the weather before you go.

Good Luck....have fun! :luf1:

·
Registered
226 Posts
good springs,nv....pioneer saloon...oldest bar in nv ???
tecopa ca.....hot springs.....swamp in the desert ???
shoshone,ca....miners would dig-houses-and summer here
furnance cr ranch,death valley....oasis in desert
pahrump,nv......small town growing faster than anyone can
keep track of......4 star resturant at the winery
yeah a winery-i think the only one in nv
mt springs,nv.....used to be a great place to stop for a beer
and a sandwitch......small local bar&grill but
i heard it has grown....see for yourself
in march it should be warm but be prepared anything can
happen and some times does

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
zion national park is just great. in the winter season your allowed to ride all over and it will likely be almost empty of tourists.

is an easy couple hours north of downtown.

loren

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Man, you're just missing CA-1R's Rally in the Valley up in nearby Mesquite! I'm sure they'd let you tag along on a run or two! Oh well, it's not until the first weekend in April anyway.

As a resident, let me suggest a couple of runs. As others have said, Red Rock is an awesome ride. Valley of Fire is even better. But if you want to make a day of it, get an early start and head up to Zion Nat'l Park. The scenic loop is breath-taking, and a Wing is the perfect way to see it. It can still be a bit nippy in early spring up there, so plan accordingly.

Finally, you might try nearby Mt. Charleston, going up Kyle Canyon road first. You might want to dress warm for that one, but it is a beatiful ride. It's got scenery for the wife, and if you take the road up on the mountain that connects Kyle Canyon and Lee Canyon roads, there are lots of twisties for your riding enjoyment. Warning: when you come back down the mountain, do not come down Lee Canyon road; it's too straight and boring.

Also, if you're making that run on a weekend, drop me a note, because I might just be able to come along for the ride.

Sorry, but I can't rate the rental company, because I've never rented a bike.

John in Vegas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
vegas ride

I went from Vegas to Furnace Creek in a car a few years ago.Should be a great ride for a bike. I can't remember the milage. Somewhere 125-150 one way I think

1 - 12 of 12 Posts