GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the fact that most of the Police Departments are almost exclusively using Laser (LTI 2020 or newer) to detect the speed of moving vehicles, I am interested in purchasing a laser jammer.
Is anyone familiar with a product that is a proven electronic (real world & laboratory) laser jammer? Furthermore that the unit is suitable for motorcycle use.
Even better, a very good Radar dector (i.e. passport 8500 x50,) that also has a laser jamming ability.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your statement is "Where, in Canada ?" yet punctuated with a question mark.
I do not know what part of my quirie your statement is pertaining to.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
pearlblue1800A said:
Your statement is "Where, in Canada ?" yet punctuated with a question mark.
I do not know what part of my quirie your statement is pertaining to.
I think this will clarify what he meant: "Where? In Canada?"

Because, here in the US, at least on the west coast, there is still much more radar than laser. I still see a lot of X-band, even. Looks like, even with the new stuff they're getting, they're keeping the old stuff.

Something else that I noticed in northern California: Someone must have gotten a pocketful of money to spend on radar, because there are speed warning signs ("Your speed is XX - SLOW DOWN!") all over the place. Anything but a V-1, or some other unit that will tell you the number of transmitters and their direction ( :wink: ), would be pretty useless with all that clutter.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Here in milwaukee wisconsin I KNOW for a fact they have laser!! AND it can clock you at a 69mph in a 50mph limit :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...chuck

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have an older Blinder X-10 and have been in a couple of situations which would lead me to believe it does work as advertized. Coupled with my V-1, I feel pretty safe. Of course I don't use the jammer in Cali, where it is illegal.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laser Jammers/radar detectors

I belived my topic was clear.
Sorry I can not help you out K7Ivo.
Discussing what enforcement tools are used is NOT the topic that I was inquiring about.
It certainly would be improper for me to comment on what someone else's statement may have meant. It is my belief that unless the author clarifies what Their statement meant., then I would be mearly guessing what I believe it may mean.
Next: Without having any factual knowledge can I comment on what a specific State's speed enforcement tools may be. Definitely not able to comment on what any specific group of States enforcement tools may be. If my knowledge was limited to the Enforcement tools of a few States I feel that I would have limited credability to suggest or comment on what the entire Country's speed enforcement tools are. (SLAM!)
However I can state that since the late 90's Police Departments in Canada have chosen to adopt Laser as their speed enforcement tool of choice.
1.. it is instant
2.. it is target specific
3.. as a result of these two "benefits" operator error is greatly reduced, {which is often the major point of contension, in disputing any form of enforcement.}
4.. Speed enforcement Laser is accurate to within distance of 0.1 meter. I am sure you are aware laser does not measure speed. It meaures the change in/of distance in nano seconds (at the speed of light) and then calculates speed, as a result in the change of distance.
This is why by the time your Laser detector is activated, The person at the other end of the laser beam already has your speed calculated.
Which brings me back to my QUESTION concerning what Laser Jammer's are proven & available.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: Laser Jammers/radar detectors

pearlblue1800A said:
...Which brings me back to my QUESTION concerning what Laser Jammer's are proven & available.
Thanks
The answer was given above but maybe you didn't catch it...try this link...http://www.radarbusters.com/products/blinder/default.asp.

Do your homework to understand how these work and what's the best installation for your application.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Also, as was previously mentioned about California, but also most if not all the states, radar jammers are illegal. I'm not sure about Canada. Here in New York radar detectors are fine in vehicles other than those over 18,000 lbs GVR, but a jammer will get the item seized and will get you a hefty fine. just fyi for you, not looking for a debate on the legislation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the K40 Laser Diffuser & Radar Detector on all my cars and motorcycle and they work very well. I wouldn't drive without them on.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: Laser Jammers/radar detectors

pearlblue1800A said:
However I can state that since the late 90's Police Departments in Canada have chosen to adopt Laser as their speed enforcement tool of choice.
1.. it is instant
2.. it is target specific
3.. as a result of these two "benefits" operator error is greatly reduced, {which is often the major point of contension, in disputing any form of enforcement.}
4.. Speed enforcement Laser is accurate to within distance of 0.1 meter. I am sure you are aware laser does not measure speed. It meaures the change in/of distance in nano seconds (at the speed of light) and then calculates speed, as a result in the change of distance.
This is why by the time your Laser detector is activated, The person at the other end of the laser beam already has your speed calculated.
Which brings me back to my QUESTION concerning what Laser Jammer's are proven & available.
Thanks
1. As are many radar units.
2. Assuming it is aimed correctly...
3. ...nullifying that ass-umption.
4. NOTHING in this statement makes laser any different than radar.

The two main differences between radar and laser are:

1. Laser has a more narrow beam-width since it's light instead of RF; (however, radar operates "at the speed of light," just like laser.)

2. I've yet to hear of moving laser. If you get tagged by a mover, it's radar, not laser.

So, you just MIGHT need to watch for radar for awhile longer...

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K7Ivo:
Perhaps re read the quirie,and deal with the issue.
Apparently you feel you are qualified to comment on the speed measuring tools used across an entire county ,or at least on the west coast, then you "notice in northern California", concerning the amount of money spent on Radar. Based on those statements you also are aware of California's traffic budgeting projects as well. So I guess you are right.
I can state for a fact (having 4,000 + hours Laser operation time & court qualified as an "expert") as to it's target specific accuracy.
Furthermore what is used in your country is a NON issue.
Again K7Ivo re read my quirie. However when commenting try to stick with facts that are at issue.
I must further add that your knowledge of Federal and State Speed enforcement policies and budgets is impressive. Unfortunately I still have a few doubts as to your factual knowledge of these Speed Enforcement policies.
Teaser 1 & DT thanks: it seems like a "Blinder x-treme M20" or a "shifter 2r3" are just what I am looking for.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1. Laser has a more narrow beam-width since it's light instead of RF; (however, radar operates "at the speed of light," just like laser.)

Radar does not move at the speed of light but at Radio Frequency (RF) which is much slower but still fast.

If you have a Laser Diffuser such as I my K40, when it detects the Laser it sends back a signal which diffuses or scrambles the unit so even if it momentarily detects your speed the diffuser sends back a signal which erases that speed and causes the laser not to work temporarily. It in essence cause the Laser device to reboot. By the time that the instrument has rebooted you will have passed the operator or if he shoots you again and the diffuser detects you are within 1000 yards of the Laser, then it will not send a signal to the Laser to diffuse it so you can't be detected as having a Diffusing type of device.

By this time if you are smart, you will have slowed down!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My older Blinder isn't "smart." Doesn't even have a on/off switch. I wired one in, so when I get laser indication on my V-1, as you said, I can slow down and flip the switch so he does get a read on me the second time.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The newer versions are designed just that way - if you put the switch near the throttle, it helps make sure you slow down, as well...

(This bike has the Blinder M-20 system installed, as well as the V1)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
pearlblue1800A, are you a Grinch year around, or just at Christmas time?!?! :shock: :roll:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts