GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
OK, but we aren't being told how the so called new Wing is selling. is it really the last iteration? I'm not convinced it is. at the very least I'm guessing we have an EV Wing in our future.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I doubt GW is going anywhere, since they continue to sell like hot cakes. Only thing I wonder, is whether GW will be bold enough to try and get out front with an electric version soon. I believe 2027 will come and go. Good luck in attracting younger riders though, as the average rider of any brand mc continues to be older and older, instead of younger and younger. So I have heard anyway.

·
Love The DCT
12,090 Posts
OK, but we aren't being told how the so called new Wing is selling. is it really the last iteration? I'm not convinced it is. at the very least I'm guessing we have an EV Wing in our future.
They appear to be selling well in my neck of the woods. Dealer received four 2021 wings last week. All four have been sold. I’m not convinced this is the last itineration of the IC wing.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
He makes a statement right at the beginning that basically says Honda had to make a decision to redesign the goldwing after a 16 year run with the last model..... thats BS from the get go. It takes a decade to develop and test a new product like a goldwing. The decision to redesign was probably green lighted by Honda back in the mid 2000’s.

I have no doubt Honda is already working on the next generation or if not they will be in a few years.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If things don’t change in the next few years I think that motorcycling in the U.S. will be in a real crisis. But that’s not a new revelation for any of us. What young riders are out there seem to be in three categories: dirt bikes, adventure bikes, sport bikes. The problems at HD show that the cruiser as a style might be on its way out after its adherents die off. And as to huge, luxury touring bikes, between the style of these bikes like the Goldwing, and their cost, I could see at some point where Honda decides its just not worth the R&D cost to upgrade, and then just phase it out. Maybe 15 years from now seeing a Goldwing will be like seeing a Pacific Coast still on the road today.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
336 Posts
He makes a statement right at the beginning that basically says Honda had to make a decision to redesign the goldwing after a 16 year run with the last model..... thats BS from the get go. It takes a decade to develop and test a new product like a goldwing. The decision to redesign was probably green lighted by Honda back in the mid 2000’s.
I have no doubt Honda is already working on the next generation or if not they will be in a few years.
My take away was near the end of the video where Honda announced publicly this Generation of GW will be supported for 10 years. What comes after that is likely in development now, and may not be the traditional GW as we envision it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gold Wings, and motorcycling as we have known it, will be around for as long as there is gasoline.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gold Wings, and motorcycling as we have known it, will be around for as long as there is gasoline.
People traveling the country's roadways on motorized bicycles? What kind of trickery is this? Balderdash I say!:)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
How about the 2035 no gas vehicle sales thing? I’d bet the motorcycle manufacture’s will be pressured into it too. That next touring idea may be something else all together. I kinda think it may be the last iteration of the touring bike we know and enjoy. ...Oh, the times’ , they are a changn’...

·
Registered
31 Posts
With much of Europe, China and other places banning new sale of petrol vehicles, some as early as 2025, it’s just a matter of time before the world is all electric IMO. However, why a Goldwing couldn’t continue as electric is beyond my engineering thoughts. I’ve read many of the countries will stop allowing registration of new petrol vehicles effectively banning them. Of course the old ones will be around for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: biggersm

·
Registered
620 Posts
With much of Europe, China and other places banning new sale of petrol vehicles, some as early as 2025, it’s just a matter of time before the world is all electric IMO. However, why a Goldwing couldn’t continue as electric is beyond my engineering thoughts.
There will be an EV Goldwing in time. The entire motorcycle industry will be going electric in the future. Bikes will lag behind autos by half a decade or more, so I wouldn't expect to see mature EV bikes until 2025 or so. I'm talking more than just Livewires and Zeros with limited range and high prices, by mature EV bikes I mean lower cost than ICE bikes with more ranges per charge vs gas tank too.

It's happening. He might be right, the current Goldwing design just might be the last gasoline powered Goldwing ever made.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have it on very good authority (I know people, who know people, who saw something on TV about this topic) that the NEW Replacement 'Wing' will be this:

I don't know about you, but I'm giddy with anticipation!! Finally, a comfortable riding position!!!!

Joe T.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
When they get the range of a electric Goldwing (or an electric car/truck/SUV) to what we often go in a day (which is often in the 800 mile range) than we would be willing to go electric. Fast recharge (like 10 minutes gets you another 200-300 miles) would be ideal.

Some people say that the Goldwing feels and sounds like an electric bike anyway. I wonder if there are plans to make electric bikes sound and shake like a classic V-Twin to keep a certain moto demographic interested? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
With much of Europe, China and other places banning new sale of petrol vehicles, some as early as 2025, it’s just a matter of time before the world is all electric IMO. However, why a Goldwing couldn’t continue as electric is beyond my engineering thoughts. I’ve read many of the countries will stop allowing registration of new petrol vehicles effectively banning them. Of course the old ones will be around for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will gasoline, oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. related to internal combustion still be available in the future?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I will never buy a electric motorcycle.
I just don't see it either... but then, I never though I'd give up my horse... :ROFLMAO:

I've seen the future though.... the movie "Alien" in 1979... the ship is returning with petroleum refining it in route from another planet... so there........ it was a documentary. :alien:

When they get the range of a electric Goldwing (or an electric car/truck/SUV) to what we often go in a day (which is often in the 800 mile range) than we would be willing to go electric. Fast recharge (like 10 minutes gets you another 200-300 miles) would be ideal.
Well, you guys that do this are not typical riders, most owners likely doing 200 miles or less in a day. Honda's goal will likely be 300 mile range. Remember, Honda designed the new bike for "weekend" riders... that's why the bags/trunk were designed smaller, etc... infrastructure for all these electric vehicles is going to massive, and currently we can't keep the lights on in Texas....

Will gasoline, oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. related to internal combustion still be available in the future?
Yep, last time I looked you can still get stuff for your horse, wagon, hot air balloon, flint lock, and sword the last time I looked... if there's a market, someone will make it.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts