GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a turn around ride tomorrow to Galena, Illinois.
It will be about 450-475 miles round trip.
Well that depends which way I decided to go up and come back. :grin2:

Doug

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fog wins..
ride up to Galena cancelled.
I have to say this is the first time I actually seen my emergency flashers flashing in the dense fog in front of me.
Way to dangerous.

Doug

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, I for one, was looking for a flat six bagger as I passed through Galena around 10:20 am, but I see now as I just got home that you played it safe. It was pretty foggy up here until about 9:30 when it started to lift. Sun came out as I was riding in Wisconsin and it got up to 72 at one point. 290 miles for me today.

When you plan to do this ride in the future let me know and I'll give you some great roads to ride up to Galena and hopefully ride with you awhile.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, I for one, was looking for a flat six bagger as I passed through Galena around 10:20 am, but I see now as I just got home that you played it safe. It was pretty foggy up here until about 9:30 when it started to lift. Sun came out as I was riding in Wisconsin and it got up to 72 at one point. 290 miles for me today.

When you plan to do this ride in the future let me know and I'll give you some great roads to ride up to Galena and hopefully ride with you awhile.
Is New Diggings in the cards if I ride up there this summer and meet you, gray red rider? I stapled a dollar bill to the front door frame with something written on it. Love that area. Trail Ridge Road up to New Diggings was a fun ride too.

Reactions: gray red rider
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The fog did not lift enough to safely ride until about 10 here.
I have seen thick fog, but not to where I could see the emergency flashers from my bike in the fog.
I literally could not see 2 bike lengths ahead of me.
My life was worth more than a Durty Gurts burger. :)
I will let you know when I come up in the Spring.

Doug

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Is New Diggings in the cards if I ride up there this summer and meet you, gray red rider? I stapled a dollar bill to the front door frame with something written on it. Love that area. Trail Ridge Road up to New Diggings was a fun ride too.

New Diggings is interesting to visit/pass thru to say, "I've been there...", but the area north of there has some of the best motorcycle roads in America. Let me know when you want to ride and hopefully I can show or suggest a days' worth of riding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The fog did not lift enough to safely ride until about 10 here.
I have seen thick fog, but not to where I could see the emergency flashers from my bike in the fog.
I literally could not see 2 bike lengths ahead of me.
My life was worth more than a Durty Gurts burger. :)
I will let you know when I come up in the Spring.

Doug

Better safe than dead :eek:4:

Let me know, Doug when you get a chance to come up again. I'm from Champaign-Urbana originally and didn't know what a crooked road was until I moved up here in 1970. I'm familiar with most of the GOOD roadsup here and how to enjoy the roads to get up HERE.

Mike

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sunny and 70 here today, 12mph winds. ;=)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
New Diggings is interesting to visit/pass thru to say, "I've been there...", but the area north of there has some of the best motorcycle roads in America. Let me know when you want to ride and hopefully I can show or suggest a days' worth of riding. :thumbup:
Thanks for that info. I too thought that once to New Diggings was enough and my Harley riding Nephew then wanted to go south to Galena. Had fun around Dubuque also. I am interested in going north of New Diggings then, if as you say they have some of the best motorcycle roads in America. Hey Rail32, care to chime in here? I am interested a lot if that is really true. The best? You been to the Smokies? I hope you're right and I'd ride up to find out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have to clarify my previous post. Just south of New Diggings are some very enjoyable crooked roads between Savanna, IL and New Diggings. We'll hit them if you choose to come up this year. ;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Great. I think the road from Savannah IL to the WI line is the Trail Ridge Road I mentioned earlier. Rode it a couple times. There has to be a lot better roads than that in the area for those roads to be the best in the US. Or at least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Let me in on that ride if you two put it together...please.

Did some geocaching up in that area last year and was on some very nice scenic backroads but I'm with Ray, don't think I could classify them as among the best in the US.

Just looked and if we are talking about Blackjack Rd and Council Hills Rd, been there done that, (and would do it again), very nice ride, wish it was closer to me but...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
OK, understand that I am originally from central IL, not too far from a village named, Flatville. I didn't appreciate riding curvy roads until I purchased my first GL1800 in 2001. Since then it is my desire to seek out and ride the crooked ones. I've been chastised before for referring to SW WI roads as some of the America's best, but there are some great ones up there. Just like NW IL, the glaciers 10,000 years bypassed that area. If not the best they are better than most. Looking forward to an opportunity in the future of showing some of them off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts