see ya at the Burger King in Titusville
..about 5:30ish in the AM

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a good spot..
Here is an "epostcard" from "easy map" showing where we parked..

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow... unbelievable..
... stopped at the Burger King for coffee and there was an astronaut "working" behind the counter...

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the road at 3:45 am

got to the landing "party" on time... BOOM BOOM it's done
so much for our space program
:-(

headed south to Kissimmee for some new roads
(never was on 532 before)

back home again by 2:00 pm

nice 300 mile "day" in the middle of a Florida summer

"postage" (how much you post) is about not "sleeping",
it's not about "not riding"..
:)

com'on you weenies... get out there an' ride..

Dennis

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
What time we leaving?;)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It went right over Marco before dawn I could see it over the Gulf than it made two loud sonic booms as it headed norteast. Scared the cr*p out of the dogs literally. Makes me sick what the anointed one Obama has done to our space program.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It went right over Marco before dawn I could see it over the Gulf than it made two loud sonic booms as it headed norteast. Scared the cr*p out of the dogs literally. Makes me sick what the anointed one Obama has done to our space program.
The decision to eliminate the space shuttle program was made in 2004.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The decision to eliminate the space shuttle program was made in 2004.
Sort of true. It was then the decision was made to REPLACE the Space shuttle program and go back to the moon. Obama did end that. He says if another shuttle type aircraft is made it will be used only for rescue of folks from the space station. He killed the moon, mars and further space exploration missions.

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
Houston we have a problem. Houston not getting one of the shuttles is criminal. When was the last time the astronauts said "New York we have a problem"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Txrider and Fuse, not long ago I was at an engineering function where the guest speaker was a former astronaut. He was none too "thrilled" with Mr. Obama and spoke of him in not so "entralled" terms. There was not much left to the imagination regarding how Mr. Obama is "endeared" by NASA and others. He would know of what he spoke. Just passing that little tidbit along for your consumption.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sort of true. It was then the decision was made to REPLACE the Space shuttle program and go back to the moon. Obama did end that. He says if another shuttle type aircraft is made it will be used only for rescue of folks from the space station. He killed the moon, mars and further space exploration missions.
Was cost the reason he killed it? Congress is calling for trillions in spending cuts. Seems like no stone will be unturned.

I would like to have seen a liftoff and a landing but that'll never happen now.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Maybe we should just totally end Medicare and Social Security so everybody can get caught in giant traffic jams in Titusville. I am sure everybody on the board who is over 62 would gladly donate the FICA taxes they have paid in during their working years to watch a few more space shots until the thrill of bankruptcy sets in. Then we could just borrow some more money from foreign countries to watch more subcontractors make giant profits on the space program :22yikes:. It is strange that the satellites that allow our GPS units to function are fast becoming outdated and need replacements, yet no one cares :bow:.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Txrider and Fuse, not long ago I was at an engineering function where the guest speaker was a former astronaut. He was none too "thrilled" with Mr. Obama and spoke of him in not so "entralled" terms. There was not much left to the imagination regarding how Mr. Obama is "endeared" by NASA and others. He would know of what he spoke. Just passing that little tidbit along for your consumption.
I can understand that. Many of these folks will be out of a job. In 2004 when the Bush administration announced the phase out of the Space Shuttle they wanted to put resources in returning to the moon....and later in the 2030's to Mars. The Obama administration thought resources for returning to the Moon were a waste and thought we ought to go for something more ambitious. Regardless, I don't think either administration could fund their plans to be carried out so your guest speaker would have been facing unemployment anyway. With the cut-spending direction so strong right now I'm not sure how we'd all feel about putting a lot of dollars in to manned space travel. Sorry guest speaker.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This astronaut had already left NASA by this point so he was not sour graping about losing his job or soon to be losing it. Are you saying you are sorry about the guest speaker or saying the guest speaker was sorry assed?

·
Registered
419 Posts
This astronaut had already left NASA by this point so he was not sour graping about losing his job or soon to be losing it. Are you saying you are sorry about the guest speaker or saying the guest speaker was sorry assed?
No...sorry for the guest speaker. I was thinking any specialized professional facing a job loss would have to be stressed. Sounds like he/she was already set. I'm just thinking downsizing affects a wide variety of good people.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1) the shuttle used 1960-70's tech.
2) the entire fleet is old.
3) the numbers show that people are going to start dieing because of 1+2 as soon as 2004 (oops we ran over a bit on that one)
4) there are more meaningful missions to fly than space busses into low orbit.
5) the practical technologies to go to the moon nd mars have not yet been invented.
6) times being what they are it's better to feed people than machines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts