GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the latest updates from Garmin. I figured since it was the last update I'd go ahead and grab it. I was running 2011 maps with the 4.6 firmware.

What surprised me is that I got two CF cards: One the lower 49 states and one with Canada and the bordering U.S. States. I loaded the Canada one since I'm travelling through Montana, Idaho, Washington and in to Vancouver Island and the Canadian Rockies. Should work for me just fine. There must be so many new details that they can't fit them all in 2GB anymore. :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
The updated map file for my Garmin Zumo 660 was 3.77Gb for a portable GPS. Now I have to leave California and New York off my updated maps for my bikes GPS unit just to get it to fit. Yeah, they're getting bigger.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The updated map file for my Garmin Zumo 660 was 3.77Gb for a portable GPS. Now I have to leave California and New York off my updated maps for my bikes GPS unit just to get it to fit. Yeah, they're getting bigger.

I just downloaded the 2020.20 and I was still able to make the custom maps of all the lower 48. I know that it is pushing the 2gb limit but with all the lower 48 maps, my unit still recognizes it. It ends up being just over 2gb in size.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've done the same but run into issues that I didn't find out till later (like when I needed it) that some things didn't show up properly. Going to Wind Ding last year, I found out when I tried to map from Louisiana to Alabama that I didn't have maps west of the Mississippi. Makes it hard to plan a route when that happens. I also didn't have maps to Knoxville either. My Zumo guided me there so no worries. I'm using 4gb cards and I've pushed the 2gb limit on the file and found the issues. I also couldn't put in addresses till I made the map file a little smaller. Not sure how you're getting the full lower 48 in without exceeding the 2gb limit by too much.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just downloaded the 2020.20 and I was still able to make the custom maps of all the lower 48. I know that it is pushing the 2gb limit but with all the lower 48 maps, my unit still recognizes it. It ends up being just over 2gb in size.
You are going to be sorry if you are planning a trip.
I've ran into problems with map data under the 2 gb size. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You are going to be sorry if you are planning a trip.
I've ran into problems with map data under the 2 gb size. :frown2:

The problems I have run into in the past only comes up if I try to plan a trip of over several hundred miles and select to avoid highways, u-turns, and toll roads. I get the dreaded "out of memory" error. If I do a route of several hundred miles but dont use any avoidances, it will give me a route just fine. I just did one earlier from Chicago to Atlanta without avoidances and it successfully came up with a route. But I must add that I rely on my phone that will have Waze running as my primary GPS source. If there is a conflict in directions, I defer to Waze and let the 1800 navi recalculate. The onboard navi is a backup that I will still program on longer trips but use it a lot to zoom in close to monitor curves in the road better...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just received the latest updates from Garmin. I figured since it was the last update I'd go ahead and grab it. I was running 2011 maps with the 4.6 firmware.

What surprised me is that I got two CF cards: One the lower 49 states and one with Canada and the bordering U.S. States. I loaded the Canada one since I'm travelling through Montana, Idaho, Washington and in to Vancouver Island and the Canadian Rockies. Should work for me just fine. There must be so many new details that they can't fit them all in 2GB anymore. :D
Where did you get the updates? New to Goldwings so trying improve my knowledge. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just went out to retest my setup. It does appear that I have all the lower 48 states and roads fully loaded. But, after reading griffalo's post, I tried entering several random addresses. I used to be able to do this with previous custom mapsets. I could enter the first part which is the number. However when I go to the street entry page, everything is grayed out and same result with city and state under the find address page. I was still able to random search under find cities and as long as I didnt avoid anything, I could successfully create a route.

So I am going to go back and create new custom mapsets. I am right now doing that with my cutoff being everything up to and including Montana. Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. This ends up being 1.70gb which is under the 2gb limitation and I assume it will give me the find address function back. I will create another custom mapset that will cover Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and everything else West. I have plenty of spare CF cards so this should work just fine...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Glad you checked it before you got out on the road and expected it to work for you. That was the mistake I made. I never really checked it before I headed out with our chapter to go to Wind Ding. And I had update a couple of the other Chapter members units before we left. Talk about embarrassing!! But it all worked out after I figured it out and told them what I needed to do. Just wish I could swap in a newer unit to my '07 and use one from an '09 or '10. I can still dream about it. Good luck Mike.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. I too wish I could change out to at least an 09-10 unit. I like besides that it doesn't have the 2gb limitation, it uses SD cards which are more common and that you could subscribe to get satellite weather and traffic which would be a tremendous plus when traveling. I don't really care for XM radio as I don't really like the way it sounds.I'm sure that it could be done but I imagine it wouldn't be an easy swap and might get rather expensive to do it. Maybe one day I will upgrade the trike but it does pretty much everything I need it to do right now and just to upgrade the navi isn't a good enough reason to do it yet...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Navi update

I just received mine today, and was also surprised to see that there were two cards. I assumed that I should only install the card with the lower 49, as I believe that my 2008 Wing can only handle 2gb. Am I correct about this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ divide the country overlapping on the central states. It takes 2 cards but the detail is way beyond what is needed.

Example, it not only identifies the local HS but identifies all the individual athletic fields at the school.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just received mine today, and was also surprised to see that there were two cards. I assumed that I should only install the card with the lower 49, as I believe that my 2008 Wing can only handle 2gb. Am I correct about this?
Well, if you're planning a trip to Canada you'll throw in the Canada card. If you're staying in the U.S., use the U.S. card. The maps are less than 2GB on each card so both can be read. The firmware update is on both of the cards so it doesn't matter which one you use for that. I used the Canada card so I could just leave it in there after the firmware update. Travelling to Canada next month.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I got the updated cards recently and the US one seems to be okay. It will accept an address and some POIs. If anyone wants the Canada one, I'll send it.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the heads up. I too wish I could change out to at least an 09-10 unit. I like besides that it doesn't have the 2gb limitation, it uses SD cards which are more common and that you could subscribe to get satellite weather and traffic which would be a tremendous plus when traveling. I don't really care for XM radio as I don't really like the way it sounds.I'm sure that it could be done but I imagine it wouldn't be an easy swap and might get rather expensive to do it. Maybe one day I will upgrade the trike but it does pretty much everything I need it to do right now and just to upgrade the navi isn't a good enough reason to do it yet...
You can change to a newer unit - that's what I just did. Of course I had to buy all the updated hardware to go with it, including main wiring harness, display panel, instrument cluster, stereo, frame, engine, gas tank, seat, forks, rims, tires, tupperware...

Yeah, I bought a new 2017. :grin2:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the updated cards recently and the US one seems to be okay. It will accept an address and some POIs. If anyone wants the Canada one, I'll send it.
That's a darn nice offer I'm sure someone could use. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts