GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking about my trials motorcycle events this coming summer I am participating in as to sleeping overnite . I used my tent cot and it's just too small for my liking . I own what I feel is best camper on earth , the Leesure lite . It's weighs 265 lbs empty and has a 600 lb rated axle . 265 plus 150 for trials bike is way less than 600 . So I am thinking making a light weight rail attached to tongue and rear structure tubing of frame to mount trials bike on top . Gonna be a bit high but doable . This project will commence in the early spring . But than I will have great sleeping plus trials bike either pulled with Wing but most likley slingshot . I fear it will be just too heavy for Wing and my liking . Max I like to pull on Wing is 425 ish so it will be close . Slingshot dudes pull teardrop campers weighing 800 plus lbs .

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Why not put a hitch on the back of your camper and hook your bike-haulin' trailer to that?

It would be longer, but not nearly has high. (Very little fab time as well.):nerd:

You could be a train without "rails"!8)

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not put a hitch on the back of your camper and hook your bike-haulin' trailer to that?

It would be longer, but not nearly has high. (Very little fab time as well.):nerd:
I seroiusly thought about that and reasoned it out due to total rolling weight would be 150 lbs even more cuase ya gotta add trailer weight again. Stopping with a double trailer and panic swerving is dicy at best . I pulled a boat and camper combo with a truck across country once . Not for the faint hearted . :wink2:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I seroiusly thought about that and reasoned it out due to total rolling weight would be 150 lbs even more cuase ya gotta add trailer weight again. Stopping with a double trailer and panic swerving is dicy at best . I pulled a boat and camper combo with a truck across country once . Not for the faint hearted . :wink2:
Is that even legal in all states? I guess it is if you did it but one trailer is enough for me, ever.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that even legal in all states? I guess it is if you did it but one trailer is enough for me, ever.
Not really sure if it is in all states , nor did I care really . But I agree one is plenty . I got real squirelly once with a heavy trailer behind a bike and I lived . So now I really am particular about weight and handling . It was on way back home on very busy slab out in Maine . Scared me pretty good in heavy traffic. I got over to side of road and just sat there for awhile to calm down . My only option was to add even more weight to tongue with sand bags . It was a dicy ride home to deliver camper to a friend . 505 lbs total weight . I would bet it doubled my stopping distance and made swerving almost impossible . Longest ride of my well over a million miles riding motorcycle .

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
So what about mounting like some people mount a bike rack on the back of their trailer or SUV. It would lower and if using the slingshot, you may even be able to put the rack at the front of the camper instead of the back of the camper.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I vote to throw your trials bike in your truck or van and haul it to your competition. If you want your camp trailer pull it with your truck or van.

I’ve learned to just enjoy my toys one at a time. I used to spend a considerable amount of time trying to take everything with me on trips. It ends up just complicating things and is more work than it’s worth.

All the stuff doesn’t make anything funner.

In fact that’s one of the things I enjoy about traveling on the wing. Simplicity is heaven.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I vote to throw your trials bike in your truck or van and haul it to your competition. If you want your camp trailer pull it with your truck or van.

I’ve learned to just enjoy my toys one at a time. I used to spend a considerable amount of time trying to take everything with me on trips. It ends up just complicating things and is more work than it’s worth.

All the stuff doesn’t make anything funner.

In fact that’s one of the things I enjoy about traveling on the wing. Simplicity is heaven.
I truly appreciate your thoughts , but keeping it simple has never been my strong point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts