GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
I saw all I need to see in the installation video by Cruiseman, look at the pictures I posted.....why would I need to see it in person?
The Wing Stuff belly pan IS a POS in my opinion.......I would never spend a single penny on one for the numerous piss poor design defects I noted above.
So you're still on the fence on this issue? 馃榿

Registered
I watched the install of the Wing stuff belly pan. Looks more sturdy then the pans I've seen on the 5Th gen bikes.
As for the holes for the filter and drain plug, The filter looks to be at least an inch or more recessed into the opening. That has to significantly lessen the chance of it getting hit. My bike is a single clutch model so no extra opening for a transmission filter.
I'll be interested in what max comes up with and his eventual price.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
It seems reasonable to assume that all those who are arguing that the cost of a Gen6 belly pan is negligible relative to its potential benefit have also purchased extended warranties and airbags.

Registered
It seems reasonable to assume that all those who are arguing that the cost of a Gen6 belly pan is negligible relative to its potential benefit have also purchased extended warranties and airbags.
Not really, no. For example, I agree with the cost/value proposition, but I don't have an extended warranty or airbags.

It's not about having excess money pouring our of various orifices, it's about careful assessment of risk/value/maintenance hassle/etc. I do that with anything I buy for a bike, whether I'm feeling flush or miserly.

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
Not really, no. For example, I agree with the cost/value proposition, but I don't have an extended warranty or airbags.

It's not about having excess money pouring our of various orifices, it's about careful assessment of risk/value/maintenance hassle/etc. I do that with anything I buy for a bike, whether I'm feeling flush or miserly.
Phew! Glad to hear there's room for some nuance. From the tenor of some of the posts in this thread, I wasn't sure.

Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
If it is as sturdy as he says it is....1/4" thick, then yes it is worth the price paid. I had a Show Chrome belly pan on my 2015. I thought it was protecting the underside. It was to a certain extent. But don't ever say "It won't happen to me" as it did happen to me. The THIN sheet metal protected until it didn't. Monetarily it only cost me $500.00 for my insurance deductible (8k for the insurance co.).....but NOT riding from 6/24 to 9/30 was also costing me mentally. Parts were delayed and not knowing when they will come in, the longest non-riding time prior to that was 53 days because of shoulder surgery in 2018. I may not ride far all the time....alot of it is back and forth to work, but riding is actually great stress reduction for me. I will be one of the first to purchase Max's engine case guard without hesitation.

I don't know exactly what I hit but this is the damage it done.
Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Here is the belly pan
White Automotive tire Grey Wood Composite material

And what they had to do to repair it
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I still ride her since I got her back and YES she does have the show chrome belly pan on her...it was replaced by the insurance co. I have taken her on a day ride several times and she is riding/running great. BUT with the delays of shipping parts and uncertainty of how she will run after repairs, we decided to purchase a 2021 DCT Tour on 8/30. Got a great price and love riding her (KITT) too.

Scarlett & KITT
Vehicle Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Registered
If it is as sturdy as he says it is....1/4" thick, then yes it is worth the price paid. I had a Show Chrome belly pan on my 2015. I thought it was protecting the underside. It was to a certain extent. But don't ever say "It won't happen to me" as it did happen to me. The THIN sheet metal protected until it didn't. Monetarily it only cost me $500.00 for my insurance deductible (8k for the insurance co.).....but NOT riding from 6/24 to 9/30 was also costing me mentally. Parts were delayed and not knowing when they will come in, the longest non-riding time prior to that was 53 days because of shoulder surgery in 2018. I may not ride far all the time....alot of it is back and forth to work, but riding is actually great stress reduction for me. I will be one of the first to purchase Max's engine case guard without hesitation.

View attachment 392009

Here is the belly pan
View attachment 392010

View attachment 392011

I still ride her since I got her back and YES she does have the show chrome belly pan on her...it was replaced by the insurance co. I have taken her on a day ride several times and she is riding/running great. BUT with the delays of shipping parts and uncertainty of how she will run after repairs, we decided to purchase a 2021 DCT Tour on 8/30. Got a great price and love riding her (KITT) too.

Scarlett & KITT
View attachment 392014
An incredible amount of damage for a situation where it is unknown what caused it.

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing

View attachment 392009

Here is the belly pan
View attachment 392010

View attachment 392011

Scarlett & KITT
View attachment 392014
Your post is exactly why Im getting Max's belly pan..the price of it is nothing compared to the hassel you went thru.. I know its unlikely but I don't want what happen to you to ever happen to me.

Registered
Aloha Bulitt,

Did you mean boxers/briefs or hang um free commando style!!!!馃き馃馃槀馃憤

Registered
Your post is exactly why Im getting Max's belly pan..the price of it is nothing compared to the hassel you went thru.. I know its unlikely but I don't want what happen to you to ever happen to me.
That is why I am getting Max's pan....I don't want it to happen to me AGAIN. I will at least give myself a fighting chance with a thicker belly pan.

Registered
An incredible amount of damage for a situation where it is unknown what caused it.
The exact thing that caused it couldn't be determined but it had to be hard and small (maybe a nut or a bolt) as it entered AND exited the pan. I didn't feel anything from the front end when it happened.

• Wow
Reactions: Sladep and biglefti

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
This video shows a 23-minute initial install of a partially-disassembled motorcycle if you have a table to lift the motorcycle, a already spotlessly-clean engine, and all those different tools and bits at the ready. For me that's a minimum 2-hour job. The next time I see anyone sliding under Goldey with a hammer, I'll regret I don't have an impenetrable barrier between engine case and world, because IMO that's just as practical a threat to engine-case integrity. (There have been how many reports of catastrophic engine failures from debris penetrating Gen6 engine cases, oil filters, or transmission extensions?) At at cost of circa US$350.00, it's a product I'm comfortable living without and a risk I'm comfortable living with. Thanks. I'm good.

Registered
So this shows a 23-minute initial install if you've done it before, have a table, spotlessly-clean engine, and all those different tools and bits at the ready. For me that's a minimum 2-hour job. Next time I see anyone sliding under Goldey with a hammer, I'll regret I don't have an impenetrable barrier between engine case and world, because that's the only practical threat I see to engine-case integrity. (There have been how many reports of catastrophic engine failures from road debris penetrating Gen6 engine cases, oil filters, or transmission protrusions?) At at cost of circa US$350.00, it's a product I'm comfortable living without and a risk I'm comfortable living with. Thanks. I'm good.
Gary, that looks like about 20 minutes for the initial install on a very dirty engine with one 5mm hex key and a couple of Allen head sockets. After that it's just those 8 (?) recessed bolts. That's one tool used to remove 8 bolts from then on. Looks pretty good to me. I am little hesitant because I don't know if the cases need cooling airflow or not.

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
Gary, that looks like about 20 minutes for the initial install on a very dirty engine with one 5mm hex key and a couple of Allen head sockets. After that it's just those 8 (?) recessed bolts. That's one tool used to remove 8 bolts from then on. Looks pretty good to me. I am little hesitant because I don't know if the cases need cooling airflow or not.
I'm glacially slow, Pappy. and I don't have a lifting table. (I have a Pitbull jack, but its lift points block access to the area I'd be working on.) It would take me, minimum, half an hour, and probably more, just to get the multiple pieces of tupperware off and their parts and fasteners sorted and organized for reinstall. If you go ahead with this, I'll be curious to know how long your intitiall takes, counting prepping and cleaning the bike, getting the tools ready--I count half-a-dozen separate tools and different bits and sockets--doing the install, reinstalling the tupperware, and putting the tools away. If you can do all that in 20 minutes. I'll be forever and deeply impressed.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts