GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,124 Posts
.the important thing is to protect the shifter casing at the bottom front of the engine from getting snapped off from a road hazard...and this case guard will do just that.
Absolutely. People alarmed by these possibilities who think this "insurance" is a worthwhile expense are entitled to explain their reasoning.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,124 Posts
In this discussion, a useful anology, at least for me, is a Goldwing airbag. The risk of running head-on into something and the potential damage from that--disfigurement, paralysis, death--far exceeds that of engine-case or oil-filter punctures, yet some people decide the airbags' cost outweighs those risks. I'm willing to bet that many of the same people who are now anxious about riding without belly pans will continue happily riding without airbags. It's a not-entirely-rational decision-making process, and for some of us, the decision preceeds the reasoning.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In this discussion, a useful anology, at least for me, is a Goldwing airbag. The risk of running head-on into something and the potential damage from that--disfigurement, paralysis, death--far exceeds that of engine-case or oil-filter punctures, yet some people decide the airbags' cost outweighs those risks. I'm willing to bet that many of the same people who are now anxious about riding without belly pans will continue happily to ride without airbags. It's a not-entirely-rational decision-making process, and for some of us, the decision preceeds the reasoning.
You know Gary, I think you just talked me out of buying one. Thanks for ruining my Christmas gift to myself! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
448 Posts
"What-ifs" define motorcycling, and all riders get to set their own limits and choose their own "insurance." What-if we hit an oil slick? (ATGATT.) What-if we have a flat? (Runflats.) What-if a pebble hits us in the eye? (Face shields.) What-if someone turns in front of us (Airbags.) Those who've been alarmed by the what-if of having an engine case, oil filter, or transmission protrusion punctured by defiant road debris are free to buy belly pans. Having that same engine case ripped apart by the bolts that attach that belly pan is just another what-if, and we each get to decide to which what-if we respond to and how. The people who think insurance against this particular what-if is a worthwhile expense are entitled to explain their thinking.
Aloha gkarasik,

It was not my intention to silence those who have “what if’s”.
If that is how you interpreted my post, my apologies.
My intent was to get the posts back on subject to 2018 and up GW’s touring on mostly pavement/asphalt and whether or not to install a ECG.
All of a sudden we went from road debris to concrete blocks ripping them off and tearing the engine cases open.
Then ADV bikes were brought into the picture and I just felt we were getting way off subject.
Anyone here can post what ever they feel they want to say, but if it starts to go off subject, maybe a new discussion subject needs to be started. IMHO😃

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,124 Posts
Aloha gkarasik,

It was not my intention to silence those who have “what if’s”.
If that is how you interpreted my post, my apologies.
My intent was to get the posts back on subject to 2018 and up GW’s touring on mostly pavement/asphalt and whether or not to install a ECG.
All of a sudden we went from road debris to concrete blocks ripping them off and tearing the engine cases open.
Then ADV bikes were brought into the picture and I just felt we were getting way off subject.
Anyone here can post what ever they feel they want to say, but if it starts to go off subject, maybe a new discussion subject needs to be started. IMHO😃
Thanks. I did not take it that way. Conversations are like cats: There's no herding them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
"What-ifs" define motorcycling, and all riders get to set their own limits and choose their own "insurance." What-if we hit an oil slick? (ATGATT.) What-if we have a flat? (Runflats.) What-if a pebble hits us in the eye? (Face shields.) What-if someone turns in front of us (Airbags.) Those who've been alarmed by the what-if of having an engine case, oil filter, or transmission protrusion punctured by defiant road debris are free to buy belly pans. Having that same engine case ripped apart by the bolts that attach that belly pan is just another what-if, and we each get to decide to which what-if we respond to and how. The people who think insurance against this particular what-if is a worthwhile expense are entitled to explain their thinking.
Aloha,

What if someone in a car in front of me throws a stick of dynamite out the window and I roll over it right when it explodes and my ECG isn’t attached to my frame, but bolted to my engine cases and has no cushions to absorb the blast.
I know, I’m getting ridiculous and that was my point.😂
Rereading my last post, I don’t know where it was said that members can’t post what they want.
All I was trying to say is if we can stay on subject and post things that are helpful and pertinent.
If you thought I was trying to silence or take away anyones rights, it was not my intention. 😀

Reactions: gkarasik
81 - 92 of 92 Posts