GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I had my first ride with a new friend. He rides a Wing equipped very much like mine, including an auxiliary fuel tank. We had agreed to meet at a nearby gas station, and from there we had a planned route of slightly more than 300 miles ahead of us.

He wondered why I had my Tailwind attached. Why was I dragging a trailer for a one-day ride, when I would just hurt my fuel mileage? He said that he pulls his trailer when necessary, but it kills his fuel mileage. I explained that I never knew it was back there, and that I had found no real reason to go to the trouble to disconnect and store the trailer. It is easier to keep it attached. As for fuel mileage, I suggested that we compare the total fuel used when we returned from the ride.

We rode Texas state highways during the ride, mostly running at 70 to 75 mph. When we refueled at the end of the trip we had ridden side-by-side for 312 miles. My Wing pulling the Tailwind held 8.7 gallons. His unladen Wing held 8.3 gallons. His mileage was 37.6 mpg, while mine was 35.8 mpg.

Honestly, if it weren’t for very occasional hassles with parking spots, and the inability to make a 3-point turnaround from a long, narrow driveway, I’d have no reason to ever unhook my trailer. The color doesn’t match my new bike so a good friend says I look like something from Sanford and Son, but if I ever get the Tailwind color-matched to my new Goldwing I’ll probably never unhook it!

Glen

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
How in the world could anybody associate someone riding a $20,000+ Goldwing and pulling a $10,000+ Tailwind with a junk man? Unless it looked like some of UncleJohn's combos.

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How in the world could anybody associate someone riding a $20,000+ Goldwing and pulling a $10,000+ Tailwind with a junk man? Unless it looked like some of UncleJohn's combos.
Bob, you already know most of my friends, so you know that is probably the nicest thing they can say about me!!!:grin2::grin2:

Glen

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
On my 2008 Wing my average without a trailer was 39.4 mpg, which of course went much lower while on the freeway going 75 mph (out west where it's legal :grin2: )

and then when pulling my Bushtec trailer I got 37 mph which when pulling the trailer I was always 2 up and the saddlebags were fully loaded (as was the trailer). So I would say that with the Bushtec, it didn't really make my mileage go down either once you take into account that it was always 2 up and driven more freeway speeds at faster speeds.

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glock- how far can you go with that aux tank??
With the main tank of 5.5 gallons and the auxiliary tank of 5.5 gallons that gives me 11 gallons without dipping to the reserve. Pulling my Tailwind I've gotten over 40 mpg when taking it really easy, or as low as 30 mpg when fighting headwinds at elevated speeds in West Texas. I can routinely count on an easy 350 miles at normal 70 to 75 mph cruising speeds.

However, when doing Iron Butt rides I normally schedule fuel stops at 300 to 325 miles. I remember once when I thought I would be on reserve before pulling into Van Horn from Junction, a distance of 320 miles.

Glen

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
With the main tank of 5.5 gallons and the auxiliary tank of 5.5 gallons that gives me 11 gallons without dipping to the reserve. Pulling my Tailwind I've gotten over 40 mpg when taking it really easy, or as low as 30 mpg when fighting headwinds at elevated speeds in West Texas. I can routinely count on an easy 350 miles at normal 70 to 75 mph cruising speeds.

However, when doing Iron Butt rides I normally schedule fuel stops at 300 to 325 miles. I remember once when I thought I would be on reserve before pulling into Van Horn from Junction, a distance of 320 miles.

Glen
DO YA PEE IN YOUR BOOTS WHILE RIDING ?? :surprise::wink2::laugh::laugh:

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DO YA PEE IN YOUR BOOTS WHILE RIDING ?? :surprise::wink2::laugh::laugh:

Naw, I just hang it out to the side in the breeze and letterrip!

Or, as Kwthorn suggests, there are available options if necessary!

Glen

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
With the main tank of 5.5 gallons and the auxiliary tank of 5.5 gallons that gives me 11 gallons without dipping to the reserve. ....

Glen

With a 2012, that should be a 6.8g main tank. It is the same tank as the the 2001-2010's; but sometime before 2010, Honda started claiming only 6.6g. My owners manual for my 2010 says 6.6, but I still can pump 6.8 when on fumes just the same as all of my prior 20xx Goldwings.

My mileage behind my 2010 is also almost negligible in difference, even at speeds over 65. But is seems a little more noticeable behind my 2018. I can still get the range of my 2010 at the over 65 speeds, but not the extra 30 miles I have been getting without the Tailwind.

You look a little like me with my 2018 pulling my Tailwind.... Blue bike and metal flake black trailer. It looks a little too dark in the picture to be the Titanium. My metal flake black tends to look dark grey in pictures when in bright sunlight. I still have my 2010 (and keeping it) that the trailer is color matched to. I was thinking about some blue pin stripping on the Tailwind..... I will keep my 2010 if I had to sell all but one bike so the trailer will stay metal flake black, even though the trailer is a requirement on a trip with the "ST1800" and only an option on the 2010. Maybe I can take all of the black on the 2018 and paint them metal flake black......

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The late Morris Kruemcke solved that small issue a couple of decades ago.

Medical assist device. :surprise:
Long ago, when I worked for a living, I once attended a seminar by an MD who ran a drug abuse testing program to monitor medical professionals. The title of the seminar was, "Urine Luck", and the guy talked for two hours about what I'd call desperate measures by desperate folks: self induced catheters (medical assist device?), artificial penises, bags of, "clean urine" under the armpit, with hose running down to the crotch area, etc..

I understood some of the devices had already found a market elsewhere, e.g. the, "Sneakaleak" was popular at places like Mardi Gras and other crowded, endless gatherings with limited bathroom facilities. I am willing to bet, Iron Butt riders are familiar with such devices also. LOL

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>I am willing to bet, Iron Butt riders are familiar with such devices also. LOL
Morris possibly would be one of the first that implemented such a tool for endurance riding, and was definitely one of the first to NOT hide it.

The story goes if you were to ride with him, it would be to your strategic advantage to attempt to be in front of him. :lol:

R.I.P. IBA #70

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a 2012, that should be a 6.8g main tank. It is the same tank as the the 2001-2010's; but sometime before 2010, Honda started claiming only 6.6g. My owners manual for my 2010 says 6.6, but I still can pump 6.8 when on fumes just the same as all of my prior 20xx Goldwing

Yeah, I wasn't very clear in my post. When I said 5.5 gallon main tank I was actually talking about the quantity of fuel before the low-level light appears. I use the low-level light as a tool to know when the main tank will hold the entire contents of the auxiliary tank.

I've seen your Tailwind on the Classifieds board. Nice rig for a nice price. I am surprised that you still have it!

Glen

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

I've seen your Tailwind on the Classifieds board. Nice rig for a nice price. I am surprised that you still have it!

Glen

Not my Tailwind.... But I would have jumped on it when my ZZ trailer had catastrophic failure. I have not seen the one for sale to see if it is one with the "stress relief" tongue, but I would have gotten a new stress relief tongue from Tom to go with it. That tongue was the major reason I ordered a Tailwind. There will be nobody out there willing to pay my price for me to sell mine, they would be better off talking to Tom for a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts