GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's correct. Had the bike of my dreams for just over two weeks and had put over 1000 miles on her and then it happened...

This past Tuesday I got off work a little early and, since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to go for a nice relaxing ride. I had been on the road for about an hour and was enjoying my ride through the countryside. I went into a left-hand sweeper at about 55 MPH and was well into my lean when an animal of some sort ran across the road right in front of me! I stood the bike up for a split second to avoid it, but that was enough to take me off my line and I ended up off the side of the road in the grass. Stayed upright for a few seconds until the back tire hit something and the bike bucked like a bronco and sent me up and over the fairing. I hit the ground I'm guessing at about 45 MPH and proceeded to roll/slide to a stop.

Thank God I was wearing a helmet, long pants and leather gloves! No major injuries to myself or the animal(as far as I know he/she lived to tell the tale). Pretty sure I tore an intercostal muscle in my right lower ribs but I'll heal. The bike, on the other hand, was a mess. I almost cried when I stood up, turned around and saw her all broken up.

To make a long story a little shorter, I am still waiting for the adjuster to decided if she is totaled or not. I hope to be back in the saddle in the next few weeks. Stay safe out there this season, and I hope that none of you EVER have to experience this...

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear this, bikes can be replaced. Glad your pretty much ok though. Let us know what the Ins. company says. What kind of damage did the bike sustain? :-(

Geof

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but as long as you came out O.K. that is the main thing. The bike can be reapired or replaced.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
It would be safe to presume that you will be removing your signature of
"keep the shiny side up";)

·
Registered
911 Posts
It can easily be changed to "I tried to keep the shiny side up"...
seriously though, glad to hear you're ok and here to write about it...hopefully you'll be back in the saddle soon...take care...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike ended up lying in a ditch, pretty much upside down. All the bags were damaged, the fairing was destroyed. Only thing I am not sure was damaged was the frame...if that is twisted or a weld broken, the bike will definitely be a total loss.

My signature will remain "Keep the shiny side up." Just 'cause that is my wish for myself and everyone out there on two wheels!!!:thumbup:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Dang, Doc, sorry to hear of your crash.

I had a crash back in 2005 that did a lot of damage to the tupperware and my bike was totaled....just saying.

Glad you are OK.

Did you go to the ER at Portsmouth and have to take grief from your compadres about how dangerous those "murdercycles" are? Hope not.

Hope you are back in the saddle soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
robeth,

Yep, I went to the ED at NMCP. Didn't get too much grief about riding a "donor-cycle" as they refer to them. I will say, I haven't told too many of my collegues at work about the crash. None of them have the motorcycle sickness and just wouldn't understand why I would want to continue riding even after crashing.

V

·
0 Posts
As stated, your health is far more important than the bike. At that speed it sounds like you made out very well. Hope you get healed up and back on the road soon. If you are looking for repairs I would HIGHLY recommend Honda of Norfolk off Tidewater drive based on what others have conveyed. Which road were you on and where abouts?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Glad your OK! You were very lucky you did not hit a rock, or tree, or other immovable object.
Stay safe!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
feel your pain

Like every one has said, glad you're ok. Mine got laid down once. She was two years old and I was riding to work. Came into a set of "s" curves (did I mention it was 17 degrees outside?) I hit some solid H2O that must have splashed from the bed of a truck. We went down, slid about 20 yards on the left side, hit a rut in the asphalt, bounced over and slid another 20 yards on the right side. All the while I was still in the saddle with my headset and gloves plugged in. When we came to a stop I didn't even want to look at the bike for fear of the nice little "danglies" that I surely turned the tupperware into. To make it even worse, I was supposed to lead a ride from Kansas City to the Dragon the very next morning and now I just knew I would have to cancel. I got the bike back on its wheels (screw proper lifting, when the adreniline is flowing you just grab the bars and lift) and dared to survey the damage. To my great amazement and total delight, the only damage the bike received was a broken highway peg arm and a scrape on the right side exhaust turndown. Got back on her and rode on in to work. I worked for almost thirty minutes before I realized that the reason I had a continuous draft on my backside was because the fire resistant uniform pants ( I work as a mechanic in a garage) I had on had the entire seat melted out of the from the exposed area of where my chaps had not been. I got real lucky on that one and from now on I don't ride if it is below 25 degees. Be safe and be thankful.. Frank:yes1:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad you are ok. You can always fix or replace your Goldwing, they can't replace you.
I hope your back in the saddle soon.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Keeping the shiny side up is still a good idea!

Sorry about the accident. Next time, try to remember that little furry animals can be replaced!

I dumped my Wing at 25 mph or less, when I hit some fuel oil of some kind in a sharp left turn. That wasn't a happy day for me. Hope you heal quickly, and are back in the saddle soon. After all, it is that time of year!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got off the phone with the insurance company. The bike is totaled. Estimated damage over $14,000!!!!! Never totaled a vehicle before. Anybody out there know what happens next? How long before I should expect to be back riding?

Virginia Wing,

I was off of Route 10 near Isle of Wight: Route 606 or 660? Don't know...I live in Portsmouth.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have always been told that any landing you can walk away from is a success.
I have also been told thee are are two kinds of riders.
Glad you fared well and hope your back in the saddle soon.

V

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear that but maybe its better that way in the long run. The insurance company will settle and give you a check for the bikes value. Other experts can give you advice on how to negotiate with them for a fair value. Do you have USAA? If so it should be easy. Did you have many MODS to the bike? I rode 10/32 and a lotta back roads throughout that area last weekend. Where did you buy the Wing from? Good luck

·
Registered
931 Posts
We are glad to hear you are OK :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts