GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the bike ready for the trip to Colorada on July 1. Checked the tread depth on the Pirelli RF and it sticks 4/32 in the middle at 2 places and slightly better depth on the sides of the tread. Dont think I better risk the ride out West on this one, probably a 4,500 mile trip. I checked my records this evening on the mileage that Ive gotten on this Pirelli and it was 21,318 miles, a lot better than the 8,500 I used to get on a MT. Question is, Im thinking it might be difficult to lay the bike down and get the rear tire out and the new one in without damaging the rear Centramatic. Is it safer to use my friends lift considering how much the Centramatics cost?

·
Registered
268 Posts
JBosey - Laying your Wing down to remove and re-install the rear wheel will not damage your rear Centramatic. I have done this with no problems. Lay'er down, lift the wheel off the wheel hub studs (do not try to remove wheel from wheel well yet), slide out the centramatic, then remove the wheel from the wheel well. To re-install just reverse the process. Slide the wheel up into the wheel well, slide the Centramatic onto the wheel hub studs (make sure the ring is facing the wheel - facing up), then slide the wheel onto the wheel hub studs, install lug nuts, stand'er back up and torque lug nuts to 80 Ft Lbs.

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was worried about the weight of the tire and wheel bending or warping the Centramatic. I think I will try it, after I order another Pirelli and get it mounted on the spare rim.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A member here came by yesterday and we put on a Kumho and then put the centramatic on after we got it in the wheel well. Worked great.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That's the only downside to the Centramatics............you have to install and take off while the wheel is still in the well but not on the lugs. :frown:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It is a pain, but well worth the effort in my book!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
No problem installing rear Centramatics with my Pirelli CT off the lug nuts but out of the wheel well by laying on its side. If I can do it, anyone can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts