GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 1500 SE and the LCD screen is not letting me see the info being put out. I know the instrument works because I can see partial numbers. I think that it appears that someone could take this apart and put a new screen in if they knew what they were doing. I do not! I hear this is a common problem but right now I don't have the $369.00 to purchase a new unit. Does anyone know anyone that does this repair? Thanks..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had plenty of views....so which is it...I'm new here and a "Lurker" or do I need to find a 1500 board? Just trying to get this problem fixed. Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't think you can "fix" it. I believe you can only replace the display. I didn't have that problem on my '90 SE in the 15 years I owned it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
1500 lcd

Hi,

Sorry for your problem. I had a 96 that had lcd problems. Alot of bikes 96, 97 had LCD problems but
not quite the same as yours most of the LCD problems involved the clock it would after riding click off minutes
every second or so never kept time right. I had the LCD replaced under warrnty. Theee was a guy that offered repair of them cheap that posts to the GWRRA board you
might put a post their.

Doug

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I never had a 1500. The 1500 boards are probably your best bet.

The display itself is probably not bad. It is probably the connections to it. There are many schemes for connecting wiring to displays, but one of the common ways is to use what is called a zebra strip. It is a piece of rubber with carbon fiber wires impregnated in it. When the LCD is installed, its contacts press up against the strip. Over time, dirt and moisture can get in between the contacts and cause the display to flake out.

Sometimes the wiring is hard wired to the display, with a short ribbon cable attached to it. Sometimes just disconnecting the ribbon and cleaning, then re-installing it will solve the problem. Be careful with this type of connector. They can be fragile.

I can't say which type you have.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Probably better to post this on the goldwingfacts.com forum as there are thousands of gl1500 owners there and this topic has been discussed there before. The gwrra board is another good place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts