GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Wing, replaced LCD screen with Sharp unit from Alibaba. Reinstalled and it only lights up, nothing on display (was working before disassembly). I've reseated all ribbon connectors a couple times and nothing - blank screen. So then I reinstalled original messed up display that was working prior to disassembly - same thing. Blank but lit screen. Is there a fuse somewhere I may have popped?

·
Registered
831 Posts
After you've checked all the connections and fuses check the GPS module in your trunk (if you have factory GPS). It controls all the video on your screen. If it smells of burnt electronics... At least this was my experience on a 2006 Wing. Weird how fast those GPS things can go bad. I was on a ride and everything was working fine. Stopped and restarted bike and nothing on the screen worked. Hope yours is a simple fix.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Also, if after removing power it doesn't reset, try reseating the memory card. I've seen issues with that...

Reactions: obwan and SC Flip

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I have reseated every connector again. Used CRC electronics cleaner on the three main connections from nav/instruments to bike. Disconnected connectors (antenna and power/data) to Nav unit in trunk, removed card and reinserted, left neg batt cable unhooked for two plus hours. Still no video of any type on display. Hitting any button that has to do with display functions results in three beeps. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Pull your Nav/GPS unit from the trunk. I recall it as two screws and a plug. Takes three minutes. Remove the data card and stick your nose in the opening. What does it smell like? The only reason I ask is because I’ve dealt with a very similar issue and spent weeks hunting it down. My bike had power to the screen also but no video and it turned out to be the Nav/GPS unit in the trunk. May not be your problem but it’s easy to check. This is a pic of my Nav/GPS board when I pulled it apart:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No smell and no apparent burned components on board of Navi unit. All fuses check good under seat.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found this from a prior episode that techdude was trying to diagnose for someone else: "Did you check both power supplies for the Nav unit? Pin 10 is hot all the time and pin 20 goes hot with the key turn-on."

My pin 10 is always hot and 20 is hot with ignition on. Unfortunately the original poster disappeared on this old thread so I've nothing else to follow.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Try putting the old display back in and see if it works. The new display may be bad.

Reactions: SC Flip

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just tried hitting the Navi reset while the bike is on and unit is plugged in. Get a single beep every time I hit the button, so that tells me the Navi unit is communicating with the bike. Not sure what would cause the 3-4 beeps everytime I touch any other display related button.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, so I have reseated every connector again. Used CRC electronics cleaner on the three main connections from nav/instruments to bike. Disconnected connectors (antenna and power/data) to Nav unit in trunk, removed card and reinserted, left neg batt cable unhooked for two plus hours. Still no video of any type on display. Hitting any button that has to do with display functions results in three beeps. Any more ideas?
You indicate that you removed and reinstalled "the" card. You may have already done this but there are two sd cards in the navi unit. This may not be the issue but worth a try. Remove the trip and map card. Use a qtip damp with alcohol to Clean the contact strips on the cards. Be sure they are dry. Then seat and unseat them in their respective ports a couple of times.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Only one compact flash card in the 06-07 models.
Ahh, my bad. You are right, I was thinking of the later version. Have you taken the CF card to your computer to see if it can be read? If the card became corrupted, that may be causing the problem. I've heard that the pins in the navi can become bent. Could you take a strong light and inspect the card port or is it obstructed to prevent this? HTH

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,936 Posts
Just saw this, have been fighting with frozen porches and sidewalks for two days! 🤬 You have done everything I can think of except checking the continuity of the video signal wires from the “C” gauge connector all the way back to the Nav unit’s connector in the trunk. There’s three of them and their associated shielding. One thing that popped in my head, is take a really close look at the LCD connector pins where it plugs into the gauges. Make sure none of the pins on the gauge side have any cold solder joint cracks around them.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts