GL1800Riders Forums banner
141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
98valk:

Can I get you to do one more for me? I received a LQ065T9BR51U and though it was only the LQ065T9BR54U that caused issues. Well, I was wrong. Worst of all, it was advertised for the GL1800 and shown in the picture in the dash of the GL1800. I thought for sure they would send one compatible. And 98VALK I'll send what ever you need and you can experiment as necessary. :oops::D And seriously, thanks for what you do for the community.

EDIT: Sorry I had the wrong numbers. Yesterday was a long day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to update the thread, I installed a LQ065T9BR51U bought from China. Advertised as fully compatible with 54U. Got the white screen on installation. Thank goodness I found this thread. Had the board repaired per Valk98’s excellent instructions, ie replaced TR1 and disabled pin 19. Screen now works perfectly, and as a bonus is not dim as some have reported with their replacement screens. Thanks again to Valk98 for his expertise - this fix has saved me and quite a few others a lot of heartache and at least $1500.

·
Registered
64 Posts
R35, I'm in Phoenix can you please let me know who you used to repair the board? I'll have them do mine if they are game. And Sorry, I would have PMed you but I'm not allowed to do that yet.

Thanks for your help.
PM sent.

·
Registered
2013 F6B
724 Posts
My wing (that started this thread) has been hanging out in the basement for the past year torn apart. Found someone locally to replace the transistor, should get it done this week. Has anyone tried the above suggestion of paralleling r104 with a 47k resistor to brighten the new display up with success or failure? Where are the instructions you mentioned for swapping the back light?
I did try that on one of the driver boards. It did help, but did not make a huge difference. I am concerned a bit about burning up the high voltage transformer. I Don't think that would be replaceable. So I don't want to push it too far.

Did you get yours going?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem is that the screens are sourced directly from sellers in China. The advertisements for the screens list a number of models, including the correct one (55U) and say that they are all fully compatible. Obviously many of us were fooled by this claim. Hopefully those trying to fix this issue in the future will have some good searching abilities and a bit of luck and will find this thread.

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
I did a little research on Alibaba and Ebay, and I think I understand the problem better now. It appears many sites are advertising the part number as LQ065T9BR55U but actually selling either LQ065T9BR51U or LQ065T9BR54U. On some of the sites you can actually zoom in real close on the photo of the LCD and see the actual part number label on it.

What you might consider doing before purchasing is to confirm with the seller what the part number is, and explain that you will have to return the part if it isn't a LQ065T9BR55U. Explain to the seller that this part number is not interchangeable with anything else.

If someone finds a place that is selling the correct part number, it would be helpful to post a link to it, so others could get the correct part.

I found this link to PDA parts that appears to be the right part number, but I can't confirm it well enough in the photo. http://www.pdaparts.net/sharp-lcd-s...5u-sharp-lcd-screen-display-panel-p-4923.html You could email them direct and check, their email address is at the bottom of the page.

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Here are a couple more sites that have photos that appears to show the proper part number, assuming what you get is actually what is in the photo....

Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I did try that on one of the driver boards. It did help, but did not make a huge difference. I am concerned a bit about burning up the high voltage transformer. I Don't think that would be replaceable. So I don't want to push it too far.

Did you get yours going?
Finally put her all back together yesterday morning. Didn't bother with the resistor, it seems plenty bright to me anyhow. She's back to fully functioning, so now I can get her oil changed, new tires installed, cleaned up and posted for sale.

Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is working great after the expertise of 98valk and R35 helped me get the blown-up display control board repaired and everything put back together. Cudos to them and many thanks. But I did want to mention that I had ordered another display after the 51U blew up my display control board. It finally came and even though it said specifically it was a 55U, there was no part number on the display. Just a white sticker where the part number was supposed to be. Plus, the listing for the 51U I received even showed the display in the dash of a GL1800 and said it was for the GL1800. So BEWARE!

·
Registered
2008 level 4 Red
288 Posts
Mine is working great after the expertise of 98valk and R35 helped me get the blown-up display control board repaired and everything put back together. Cudos to them and many thanks. But I did want to mention that I had ordered another display after the 51U blew up my display control board. It finally came and even though it said specifically it was a 55U, there was no part number on the display. Just a white sticker where the part number was supposed to be. Plus, the listing for the 51U I received even showed the display in the dash of a GL1800 and said it was for the GL1800. So BEWARE!
That’s what concerns me.

·
Registered
2013 F6B
724 Posts
That’s what concerns me.
This has been mentioned before, repeating it is a good thing. For everyone: disabling pin 19 is the safest thing to do! With pin 19 isolated, any of the displays will work without damaging the driver board.

Since pins 18 and 20 are not used, you can tape off all three pins (it's easier). Tape off those pins on both sides of the cable to double your safety. If you are very careful, snipping off pin 19 is best (either end).

Oh, and I noticed recently that the way this cable is designed, it is totally reversible. I didn't expect that. So once you isolate pin 19, you can plug that end into either connector, and it will work. Please someone correct me if this is wrong!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This has been mentioned before, repeating it is a good thing. For everyone: disabling pin 19 is the safest thing to do! With pin 19 isolated, any of the displays will work without damaging the driver board.

Since pins 18 and 20 are not used, you can tape off all three pins (it's easier). Tape off those pins on both sides of the cable to double your safety. If you are very careful, snipping off pin 19 is best (either end).

Oh, and I noticed recently that the way this cable is designed, it is totally reversible. I didn't expect that. So once you isolate pin 19, you can plug that end into either connector, and it will work. Please someone correct me if this is wrong!
I ordered and received the LQ065T9BR55U. I installed it and got the same result many others did. Should I expect to find similar conditions as the other displays with different part numbers?

141 - 160 of 187 Posts