GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend told me about LD Comfort riding undershorts a few months ago and got me thinking about buying a couple of pair but I looked at the website and saved the link but never ordered.

Now I'm leaving on a two week journey in less than a week in this hot weather and regretting my procrastination. Its too late to order now and receive the shorts in time for my trip.

I think an earlier thread included member suggestions of other products they considered similar to LD Comforts. I can't find that thread.

My question:

Is there an alternative product with similar capability that I can buy local in an outdoor products store like an Academy Sports, Ganders, or Cabellas?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you can find compression shorts at a bicycle shop that don't have the pad you will probably be good.

I like Under Armour for shorter rides.

Hector

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Cue Bubba1...

(There is no replacement... seriously. I've tried em all and there's no comparison.)

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I bought some compression shorts made by Bike over 4 yrs ago from Wal mart for $9 a pair. They have worked well and held up well. Just about any sporting goods store will have something that works just as well as the high dollar stuff. Main thing is look for water wicking properties of the thread.
Wickers also has a good product for the $$ but are a little loose for me, not really compression shorts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've tried various brands and they all work to a degree, however, with that said, I like the LD Comfort MUCH better than the others when I'm seriously traveling. They just work better for me. I wear some of the other brands that I've bought on short haul trips, but if I'm planning a day in the saddle, it WILL be while wearing LD Comfort gear. My wife's experience has been similar to mine. If you try 'em you will like 'em. (Yeah, I know they're pricey, but as with most things, you get what you pay for). Have a great trip!

·
Registered
250 Posts
For people looking for LD Comfort but don't like the prices, if your waist is 36" or less, you can get women's shorts for $20 in "warehouse sale" section. They also have men's tops in Long 3XL and Long 4XL for $30.

(I won't mention the men's tights in 50"-53" waist.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
For people looking for LD Comfort but don't like the prices, if your waist is 36" or less, you can get women's shorts for $20 in "warehouse sale" section. They also have men's tops in Long 3XL and Long 4XL for $30.

(I won't mention the men's tights in 50"-53" waist.)
Mejojo, those sizes you won't mention, sure do work!!!! On long trips, I take two pair -- one to wear, one to dry from washing.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I use UnderArmor. I have bunch of pairs because I use them in the gym too. They work great for me - way less fatigue and much more comfort.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm 100% in the LD Comfort camp, and would recommend spending a little extra for fast shipping. Call them and see if they can rush your order. I'm a bicyclist, in addition to being a motorcyclist, and I've tried all kinds of gear. I wear cycling shorts wehn riding my bicycle, have under armor (which is great in the gym), but won't wear anything but LD Comfort for a day on the Wing. I don't think any of the substitutes come close. For less than what you'll spend on something that isn't as good, you can get the faster shipping on the product that is best.

It's just my opinion, but it's an opinion based on lots of trial and error!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I'm 100% in the LD Comfort camp, and would recommend spending a little extra for fast shipping. Call them and see if they can rush your order. I'm a bicyclist, in addition to being a motorcyclist, and I've tried all kinds of gear. I wear cycling shorts wehn riding my bicycle, have under armor (which is great in the gym), but won't wear anything but LD Comfort for a day on the Wing. I don't think any of the substitutes come close. For less than what you'll spend on something that isn't as good, you can get the faster shipping on the product that is best.

It's just my opinion, but it's an opinion based on lots of trial and error!
There will always be posters that advocate something cheaper, something "just as good", or I don't need no "$50 drawers", whatever, as you have posted there is no substitute for LDComfort, if there were I would be on here advocating its use.

The OP should take your advise: Suck it up, pay for overnight shipping, in the long run it will be cost effective. BTW, don't just stop at the tights or shorts, you need the long sleeve t-shirt for complete riding comfort in almost any thing the WX gods can throw at you.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
SNAKEOIL:eek:4:
Tell me more.

What are you calling "snakeoil"? It's hard to respond to one word answers when you do not know what is being referenced. Frankly I don't know if you are referring to this thread, to the OP, one of the posters, or you just like the word "SNAKEOIL" followed by :eek:4:. Help me out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We just got back from a 5200 mile trip to the west coast and back. We traveled in 100+ days several times. I had some Jockey brand wicking underwear with no seams in the butt area. They kept me cool and I didn't have any kind of problem. I also had some Nike wicking t-shirts and they worked well also. When it was really hot we soaked the shirts down with water and put our jackets on and rode. It was almost like having AC on for about 1/2 to 45 mins. We were able to ride for the next hour with no problems.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have posted this before and had my wisdom questioned by those who would support the LD Comfort wear....I am sure it is a very good choice for riding long days in the saddle...But perhaps not the ONLY choice...

Look at Nike PRO Compression shorts and Dryfit underwear...

Good at 1/2 the price...Just because you pay a lot for it doesn't make it better in all circumstances...

LD COMFORT is the standarad bearer for this type of accoutrement however there ARE alternatives...

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree there is no comparison between the cheap walmart bicycle/compression shorts and LD Comfort. NO COMPARISON at all. I gladly bought two more pairs of LD shorts before this year’s trip to Wing Ding. Money well spent IMO.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There will always be posters that advocate something cheaper, something "just as good", or I don't need no "$50 drawers", whatever, as you have posted there is no substitute for LDComfort, if there were I would be on here advocating its use.

The OP should take your advise: Suck it up, pay for overnight shipping, in the long run it will be cost effective. BTW, don't just stop at the tights or shorts, you need the long sleeve t-shirt for complete riding comfort in almost any thing the WX gods can throw at you.
I did. I have a USPS tracking number. The local long distance riding friend who first told me about LD Comfort made similar statements like "there are no substitutes", "nothing else is as good", etc.

I have no reference for comparison so I took the advice posted and ordered two pair of LDComforts.

The long sleeve undershirts will have to wait until cooler weather.

Thank you for the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts