GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where all you hot heads get ld clothes from - going to vegas in mid august :eek:4: dont want to melt to bad .;)

·
Banned
146 Posts
I know but I am interested in trying the dry/ cooling vest,, The tests they ran on it says it provides about a 20 degree drop at speed even in very humid texas summer air.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I know but I am interested in trying the dry/ cooling vest,, The tests they ran on it says it provides about a 20 degree drop at speed even in very humid texas summer air.
I would question those results. AT 95F and 60% RH the web bulb temp is about 83F, while a 12 degree drop ain't too bad is isn't 20 degrees. To get a 20 degree drop the RH would have to be 40%, that's not Texas Gulf Coast summer Temp/humidity. Physics doesn't lie, salesmen do.

Just one other point: I do not know the product but vests are almost as dumb as mesh. The major cooling from evaporation will come from the sleeve area, the neck and the head, not the trunk area of your body. Think of your body as a radiator, max cooling or heating happens in areas of highest surface area and blood supply to mass i.e. your arms, neck and head. Vest cool non of those areas. Keep your arms, neck, and head cool and the body will follow.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I would question those results. AT 95F and 60% RH the web bulb temp is about 83F, while a 12 degree drop ain't too bad is isn't 20 degrees. To get a 20 degree drop the RH would have to be 40%, that's not Texas Gulf Coast summer Temp/humidity. Physics doesn't lie, salesmen do.

Just one other point: I do not know the product but vests are almost as dumb as mesh. The major cooling from evaporation will come from the sleeve area, the neck and the head, not the trunk area of your body. Think of your body as a radiator, max cooling or heating happens in areas of highest surface area and blood supply to mass i.e. your arms, neck and head. Vest cool non of those areas. Keep your arms, neck, and head cool and the body will follow.
I agree, experience has shown me that wearing long sleeves and soaking yourself down...completely works great for about a hour or so. Repeat and never get too hot. (colder the water the better, we use melted cooler water)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree, experience has shown me that wearing long sleeves and soaking yourself down...completely works great for about a hour or so. Repeat and never get too hot. (colder the water the better, we use melted cooler water)
I agree. I wear a cool max mock turtle. Complete wet it down, wring it out, it's like air conditioning for 1-2 hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts