GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to set my wing up for some long distance riding. Looking for aux light brackets, fuel cell, extra storage, gadget mounts.. Any info or links would be great. Also seen a Aerostitch bag on the pasenger floor board and wondering what bag that was.

New to the Wing, but had a 08 for 4 short months.

Thanks for the help, Smitty:confused:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Paging Bubba1 to the white courtesy phone!

Get in touch with my buddy Ken Bubba1 He'll set you on the straight and narrow!

:lol:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looking to set my wing up for some long distance riding. Looking for aux light brackets, fuel cell, extra storage, gadget mounts.. Any info or links would be great. Also seen a Aerostitch bag on the passenger floor board and wondering what bag that was.

New to the Wing, but had a 08 for 4 short months.

Thanks for the help, Smitty:confused:
I'm getting prepped for a long weekend or else I'd chime in at some length.

The GW is a good mount for LD riding (I've done about 20 IBA rides) so you can go many miles when it's in stock form.

What's the longest ride you've done so far (in 24 hours or a few days)?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
hmmm ive only done a few,,,,,and one no one else has ever done

google is your friend,lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
LD

Last summer I went to Alaska from Texas that was kinda long trip. I have the following mods for the road:
risers, highway pegs, bicycle water bottle mounted on handle bars for water, aux lights (with screen to protect lense), two 12v plugs (one mounted close to the battery this is wired hot to power compressor or charge battery and another mounted up front for satellite radio or whatever), Honda marine voltmeter, I have two OEM windshields one is trimmed about 2-3 inches to get more of a breeze its hot in Texas, luggage rack, water deflector mounted under engine guards to keep shoes kinda dry, fork brace, fender extender, headlight plastic guard, belly pan..........I think that covers it all, most of the stuff is pretty useful.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Search some of ZackyBilly1's post. He is currently outfitting one of his 3 2010 wings just for LD Rides. He has lots of info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting prepped for a long weekend or else I'd chime in at some length.

The GW is a good mount for LD riding (I've done about 20 IBA rides) so you can go many miles when it's in stock form.

What's the longest ride you've done so far (in 24 hours or a few days)?

Well I have done several ss1000, BBG 1500+ in 24, coast to coast in less than 50 hour, and several endurance rallys. Also this summer did 10,000 in 14 days from St. Louis to Deadhorse Ak. and back averaging 700 miles a day for the 14 days.

Not new to the long distance stuff, just new to the Wing.

Thanks for the replys, Will do some more looking to see what I can find. Mainly need light bracket (seen some on Wingstuff) and plan on a Quick Tank aux fuel cell.
Smitty

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'd love to have a fuel cell. Other than that I don't see need to add anything.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

Aux Lights: Best bracket I've found is by PIAA for mounting under your mirrors. You can hang any light you want on these - they are STRONG! Easy install.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/piaa-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-bracket-kit

I've got the Future Vision HID's mounted and they turn night into day.

Also have a set of PIAA 1100's mounted under the headlights. IMHO they are good for visibility but don't do much in terms of lighting the road ahead.

Aux Fuel: That one depends on your riding style. Always one up then a gravity feed mounted in the pillion area probably is best. IF you are a 2-up rider then you'll need a tail-dragger set up. Really not complicated especially if you have a trailer hitch. A myriad of tank designs are available, fuel pumps aren't expensive or difficult to install. Biggest challenge is drilling and tapping into the main fuel tank.

Mine is set up as a quick disconnect using my Bushtec hitch and a Coyote 4 gallon cell. Ask if you need design or install help. You can put together a reliable and removeable tail dragger cell for less than $300.00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts