GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
February 2, 2009
Dear Honda Dealer:
On January 30th, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) voted unanimously to
issue a “one year stay” of enforcement for certain testing and certification requirements for
manufacturers and importers of regulated products, including products intended for children 12
years old and younger. However, the legal requirement for lead content remains in full force and
effect. As we stated in our letter of January 23, no children’s product known to contain 600 ppm
(or more) of lead can be sold as of February 10.
While there has been some confusion as to the meaning of the “stay,” unfortunately, it does not
affect the outcome of our original message. The CPSC postponement only delays certain of the
CPSIA’s testing and certification requirements that do not directly affect dealer sales.
Therefore, unless something changes, you may not lawfully sell the identified models
beginning February 10, 2009. Please refer to bulletin #09-0037 sent on January 23rd for the
models involved.
American Honda continues to work tirelessly towards an exemption, and we urge you to remain
vocal and active in making your views known to your legislative representatives.
Look for additional information from Honda later this week.
We thank your for your support and cooperation.
With best regards,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
:eek:4:i'm getting lead poisoning while licking my bike clean. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I can barely keep up with fulfilling all the orders for lead & mercury suppliments we sell now. This is getting crazy. I am going to have to get a bigger warehouse for the workforce.

So, the little dirt bikes & 4 wheelers are toys a kid can possibly eat the paint off?

Herb

·
Love The DCT
12,152 Posts
I don't think a 12 year old is going to place his mouth over the battery posts and start sucking or licking them.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Bad law with good intentions. Pretty much anything a child 12 and under may use must be tested and certified. People who have garage sales with kids things may be in violation if the items aren't certified. Retired folks making wooden toys or baby products to sell at craft shows would be in violation as well, I believe.

Never thought about mini bikes for kids.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Be thankfull you don't get all the government you pay for. :joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Another thing this law has done in the time of crisis is put more people out of a job. There are many small business people who sell second hand toys and products they cannot do so now.

Also the Salvation Army and other help organizations can no longer take in used toys, and I suppose this kills our toys for tots run that we have locally .

Another blanket law, with no common sense.

The talking heads, our fearless leaders, they know a lot do they not??:shock:

Kit

·
Registered
583 Posts
We got an e-mail from one of our local dealers stating the lead in the left side flywheel cover could be touched by a child and then they could feasibly (my word) put their hand in their mouth. There is also a small amount of lead in the tire bead and braid This is getting out of control. Politicians really need to think things through and at least try to understand the impact some of their asinine laws have in all areas. I'm sure the original intent was paint related, but they write these laws so arbitrarily that it forces other industries to discontinue selling products, like Honda is doing with the 50, 70 and 80 and TRX 90 bikes, in the US

Wake up Washington you can't regulate every aspect of our lives.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We got an e-mail from one of our local dealers stating the lead in the left side flywheel cover could be touched by a child and then they could feasibly (my word) put their hand in their mouth. There is also a small amount of lead in the tire bead and braid This is getting out of control. Politicians really need to think things through and at least try to understand the impact some of their asinine laws have in all areas. I'm sure the original intent was paint related, but they write these laws so arbitrarily that it forces other industries to discontinue selling products, like Honda is doing with the 50, 70 and 80 and TRX 90 bikes, in the US

Wake up Washington you can't regulate every aspect of our lives.
Politicians think? What a radical idea.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
There is no question in my mind, that all of our Politicians have been drinking too many "Lead Based" ****tails at the Tax payer mansions.

Bulldog

·
Registered
778 Posts
There is no question in my mind, that all of our Politicians have been drinking too many "Lead Based" ****tails at the Tax payer mansions.

Bulldog
yep, as of Feb 10, we have to pull all our 50, 70, 80 and I believe even the 100 Honda dirt bikes as well as the 90 ATV off the floor and can not have them on our website, no brochures out for the public to see, yamaha has come in with the same thing on their small bikes, as someone mentioned it was a well meant law but it has run crazy now, on the ATV's if you over 16 I guess they figure you have lived a long life already and so none of the ATV's for age 16 and older are being pulled (or at least for now), it has been a problem with children crawling around our floor and chewing on the frames of the dirt bikes ;) :eek:4:

OMGosh what is next

JB

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The problem with most politicians is when they finally get moving unfortunately the lead from their a## goes to their heads and cancels out any forward movement.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I find myself often asking this question: What ever happened to "Of the people, by the people and for the people?" In this case the "cure" is worse than the "disease".

·
Registered
310 Posts
This probably started because of the issue with lead in the paint of toys coming from China. We can thank those foreign suppliers who poisioned our childrens toys and formula with melamine and lead. Maybe Honda should claim this will cause them financial hardship and ask for some bailout money. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
819 Posts
This probably started because of the issue with lead in the paint of toys coming from China. We can thank those foreign suppliers who poisioned our childrens toys and formula with melamine and lead. Maybe Honda should claim this will cause them financial hardship and ask for some bailout money. :lol: :lol:
It started with lead in crumbling old paint. But it is a serious issue, even if some of the concerns over specific things might be going too far. Large numbers of American children have shown lead levels sufficient to cause brain damage.

"According to the CDC, about one out of every 50 children in the United States between ages 1 and 5 has a BLL (blood lead level) above 10 mcg/dl and about 10 percent of children have BLLs of 5 mcg/dl or higher." 10 is the "standard", but damage has been observed as low as 5.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/89496.php

That's a lot of kids. It's hard to get the level of concern exactly right, or know exactly how the kids are getting exposed to lead.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
When I was small everything was painted with lead based paint including the kitchen table at the farm. How have I survived 62+ years?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I was at the dealership today picking up my new (used) '06 and overheard the salesman telling a guy that as of Monday they had several models of small bikes for kids that they would be unable to sell. That's a shame!

:wrong:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
You guys are missing the real issue. This is a back door attack against the sale of ammunition. Ooops! I mean fishing sinkers.:eek:4:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts