GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning to install Speedbleeders and do a brake / clutch fluid chnage and found a couple of drops of fluid behind front tire. Smells like brake fluid but can't be sure with all of the other fluid smells. Bike has been stationary for about 2 months due to being unable to ride (surgery). Today is the first day the fluid has been there. I have been doing other maintenance - air filter changer, running wires, checking & cleaning switches etc but nothing around front end except checking tire pressure. Front wheel has been off the ground until last week. Any thoughts?

IMG_7986.JPG IMG_9232.JPG IMG_9672.JPG

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fork oil would be my first thought. Seldom do brake components leak while sitting.
Trace the path.
I wiped everything down and stuck a couple of paper towels around the fork seal. I'll give it a few hours and see if it leaks.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Recently had similar finding... it was fork oil. Subsequently had forks rebuilt. If there was oil on your forks just above the dust covers, that's likely your source.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
With a clean white tissue or paper towel wipe the shiny surface of the exposed shock above the dust seal. Take a good look at the tissue for any discoloration from oil. This will immediately reveal any leakage from the shock.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. Small drop of fork oil on the paper towel on the left fork. Fork job wasn't due until next winter. I have a fork seal cleaner - I'll try that before the replacement. I haven't disabled the anti-dive. I've heard that can help.
Fork.jpg

·
Vendor
16,597 Posts
Went out this morning to install Speedbleeders and do a brake / clutch fluid chnage and found a couple of drops of fluid behind front tire. Smells like brake fluid but can't be sure with all of the other fluid smells. Bike has been stationary for about 2 months due to being unable to ride (surgery). Today is the first day the fluid has been there. I have been doing other maintenance - air filter changer, running wires, checking & cleaning switches etc but nothing around front end except checking tire pressure. Front wheel has been off the ground until last week. Any thoughts?

View attachment 369492 View attachment 369493 View attachment 369494
Instead of brake fluid, I'd place my bet on fork fluid.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely fork oil. Weird to me that it started to leak after just sitting for a couple of months.

·
Vendor
16,597 Posts
Definitely fork oil. Weird to me that it started to leak after just sitting for a couple of months.
I believe everything starts to leak when conditions are just right. Something as simple as a temp change can make that happen.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's some trick for fork oil to run down the outside of the secondary master cylinder and then run up into the bottom of the SMC bore and get the rubber boot wet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's some trick for fork oil to run down the outside of the secondary master cylinder and then run up into the bottom of the SMC bore and get the rubber boot wet.
I'm sure it was caused by COVID19.
I did have the front tire off the ground for the winter. Maybe the pressure from setting it back on the ground somehow caused it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to order the fork seal kit and oil. Even if the seal is just dirty I was going to replace oil next winter anyway. Who has the best prices on the OEM kit? I did a quick search and prices are all over the place.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would suggest Cyclemax.com For the seals, slider and guide for left fork, it would run before shipping just over $42. And if it is showing up on their site, they have it in stock. They also have fork oil in stock as well. Many online places will drop ship and it might take a while before it actually gets shipped to you. I recently went through this after ordering from Revzilla for fork rebuild. It took over a month to finally get all the parts shipped to me and that included ones that said they would be shipped in 2 days.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cyclemax doesn't carry the O-ring (91356-MW0-003 O-RING (37.2 X 2.4). Strange.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts