GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was leaking oil on my way home this morning. It is an 85 mile ride one way and was subzero the first 50 or so miles.
Got it to the shop and their first call to me stated that it may have been the tunnel fillers were blocking a vent which caused an overflow. Wasnt able to understand everything the tech was saying on cell phone at the time.
Waiting for another call.
Anyone heard of or experienced this?
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get rid of the Harley and buy a Wing. :yes:
================
wingsling said:
My bike was leaking oil on my way home this morning. It is an 85 mile ride one way and was subzero the first 50 or so miles.
Got it to the shop and their first call to me stated that it may have been the tunnel fillers were blocking a vent which caused an overflow. Wasnt able to understand everything the tech was saying on cell phone at the time.
Waiting for another call.
Anyone heard of or experienced this?
Thanks,
Todd

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO -- whom ever you talked to... does not know jack ship about a motorcycle... ....i would not want them working on a wheelbarrow...
take it elsewhere to get it checked ...

cosmic

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigDog-as in my profile, it is an '07 Wing, already got rid of the Harley pal.

Am waiting too hear back from them.

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
The right valve cover on ours was weeping before my guy got it home from Hal's. We need to get a look at it. Anybody had a valve cover leak right off?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
After I got my 02 I noticed oil seepage from the left valve cover. Upon checking it myself I found that all the valve cover bolts were torque about half of what it was suppose to be. The right side was almost the same, but not leaking yet. I went over the whole bike with a torque wrench checking against the spec's. The valve covers were the only thing loose. tighten them to spec's and the leak stopped. I assumed it came this way from the factory, but I think the dealer should have gone over the bike before delivering it.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Max;

The valve covers have those familiar rounded slots that need a dib of sealer on them, perhaps they did not get yours well sealed. Take great care in resetting the torque on those bolts, lots of folks have stripped out the treads on the head, especially the front right hand one. I would back off from the spec'd torque value a bit.

prs

·
Registered
696 Posts
OIL LEAK

I THINK HIS HEAD WAS LEAKING HAVE THE THINGS ON MY BIKE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

·
Registered
270 Posts
oil

Please keep us advised of what vent he could be talking about.

Perhaps there is some difference in the 07'.

I have checked mine and find no vent that my tunnel filters could be blocking.

Where did you notice the oil?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wingsling...
the quesiton is 'where is it leaking'? I think you need to talk to the tech or acviser again on a land line<G> There has been some bikes that have the breathr tube under the fuel tank bent and kinked... that would build excessive pressure inside the crankcase and cause an oil leak.

For cosmic_chariot to make a comment like he did is rude. You admited you didn't understand the entire conversation. To insult the dealer and tech for no reason is uncalled for.

Max...
do you have CHROME valve covers? I've seen several of those that were porous and the chrome buildup in the groove for the gasket kept the gasket from fitting properly.... instant oil leak.
Or... it could be that someone screwed up during assembly and it just needs a new gasket. Is this new??? or used???

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine did the same when I rolled out of the showroom floor

Max McAllister said:
Thanks guys. Gave the baby it's first bath today, and we'll see what she continues to spit up.

:p
this summer. I called the dealer and he said it was probably the oil that Honda coats the engine with from the factory.
He was right, I did a clean up and no more oil leaks with 8500 miles.
The last half of the mileage was better though.
Thanks Max for improving the ride :wink:

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
rayworx said:
Wingsling...
the quesiton is 'where is it leaking'? I think you need to talk to the tech or acviser again on a land line<G> There has been some bikes that have the breathr tube under the fuel tank bent and kinked... that would build excessive pressure inside the crankcase and cause an oil leak.

For cosmic_chariot to make a comment like he did is rude. You admited you didn't understand the entire conversation. To insult the dealer and tech for no reason is uncalled for.

Max...
do you have CHROME valve covers? I've seen several of those that were porous and the chrome buildup in the groove for the gasket kept the gasket from fitting properly.... instant oil leak.
Or... it could be that someone screwed up during assembly and it just needs a new gasket. Is this new??? or used???
Hi Ray,

It's our brand new shop bike. 06 NavABS, 700miles, bone stock, no chrome.

It's not bad, but it is oil. It was "wind streaking" along the lower cowling.

·
Registered
170 Posts
..........To anyone who has had or now has a valve cover leak and you have the Kury 4056 hwy pegs, I can tell you from experience why the front of your valve cover is leaking oil. I had 3 separate oil leaks from the front of my right valve cover. Honda replaced the valve cover gasket each time under warranty until the cause of the leak was found. The 4056 will slip on the case bar (no matter how tight it is) and press up on the spark plug cover, which pushes up on the valve cover, because of the long bolts that go through the cover and into the block. Check the lower edge of your spark plug cover and see if it is exactly even with the lower edge of the block. I put about a quarter inch gap between the rubber bumper of the 4056 and the bottom of the spark plug cover and run two self-tapping screwing through the bottom of the case bar clamp into the case bar. I've had no more leaks for over a year now. Maybe this will help someone else. Even if you have no oil leak and you have the 4056 hwy pegs, you might want to check on what I've described above.
Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Max...
obviously it's going to be a warranty issue. Too bad you don't have a Honda dealer in Woodstock.
But Atlanta ain't that far away. My bet is Dan could whip it out in no tme if you want to spring for a fresh gasket.
A crosstreaded sprak plug would not cause a 'fresh oil leak' but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bad valve cover gasket or poor installation.

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
rayworx said:
Max...
obviously it's going to be a warranty issue. Too bad you don't have a Honda dealer in Woodstock.
But Atlanta ain't that far away. My bet is Dan could whip it out in no tme if you want to spring for a fresh gasket.
A crosstreaded sprak plug would not cause a 'fresh oil leak' but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bad valve cover gasket or poor installation.
Warranty?

We have a couple of shadetrees around here who can probably figure out a valve cover gasket leak. :wink:

I wouldn't drive a bike to the shop for a valve cover gasket leaking. The time would cost more than the dab of Yama-bond, or er, I mean Honda-bond. Heck, even if you had a defective gasket, I'm sure it's easier to change the gasket than to go back and forth to the bike shop and leave the bike.

I was just wondering if this was common or one-off. Obviously we have lots of wings zingin' around here, and it's great to be able to see if people know of real problems. I am sure this one's nothing.

PS, SORRY I JACKED YOUR THREAD, WINGSLING!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
812 Posts
lol

I need to go check the good book. Isn't a Honda leaking oil one of the signs of the apocalypse? I was under the impression that the ONLY bikes that leaked oil or had mechanical problems of any kind were Harley Davidsons.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Max,

Since this is a "Bone Stock" bike, it has no belly pan. It is possible that road debris damaged the filter slightly, causing a slow leak. Or possibly the filter is not torqued enough from the factory.

It's worth a look.

Kirk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Once, I added too much oil during a change (d'oh!) and I had oil drip onto my left boot while riding.
The problem went away after I drained some oil out. :oops:

Maybe they overfilled it at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts