GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like the lean angle on the side stand of my GL 1800 isn't great enough i.e. it doesn't lean far enough to the left when the side stand is down.

My current side stand is a Kuryakyn brand.

I have to be VERY careful where I park the bike because there is very little angle on flat ground and when I get anywhere where the pavement slopes to the right it is sitting nearly straight up. In any kind of wind this makes the bike very tipsy.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem?
Is there any sort of adjustment on the bike?
Is there a way to modify the current side stand to increase the lean angle?
Are there other brands of side stands on the market that correct this problem?

Pat
Middleton, WI

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've got the stock side stand with a 1/4 " thick ducks foot added and the lean angle is perfect. I've got to think that your aftermarket side stand is too long for some reason.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
lean angle

Could be your suspension is sacked out letting the bike sit lower than it should resulting in reduced lean angle. Put in new fork springs, race-tec, traxxion, progressive, or stock, and you might as well change the fork fluid, seals and bushings, then check and set the "sag" . If you still have a problem, then mess with the side stand.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I changed my stock stand for a Kuryakin chrome stand which I bought from a member of this forum.Exactly what you described happened.I was not at all happy with the angle the bike was leaning close to straight up.After 2 weeks of this I hated itSo 2 weeks and $100 later I have swapped back to my stock stand.Things are back to normal.Anybody interested in a Kuryakin chrome stand cheap.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The extra length of some after market side stands had been an ongoing issue. If ya want a chrome side stand have your OEM stand chromed or powder coated.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Adjust the pre-load on your rear suspension to a higher number... Fixed.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I had the opposite problem it was leaning to much for my liking i installed a 1 inch pad on the stock side stand to make it stand up a bit much better now for me :yes1:

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Adjust the pre-load on your rear suspension to a higher number... Fixed.:thumbup:
To properly adjust the preload, according to the owners manual, you should put the bike on the center stand prior to adjustment. Kind of a PIA just to adjust for lean angle. :roll:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought the same thing, Pat. There are numerous times I've wanted a little more lean.
Hadn't considered changing the suspension setting!
I'll give it a whirl.
Thanks, guys!
ob

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have the aftermarket chrome stand and had to buy the chrome spring after much searching to find a spring strong enough to hold the kickstand up and my bike has gone over twice in the wind and I have had to put it on the center stand more times than I can remember just because I felt the lean angle would cost me again. Just wanted a stand that would not sink into the asphalt as much. It is an expensive chrome extra!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just use it for a few years without lubing the stand and it will wear down.
Now that is a smart a$$ answer. All he wanted was a little HELP and here you go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
:arrow:

$40.00 plus shipping.I am in Oregon at the moment with Motorhome and Wing.I have the kickstand with me.If you want it PM me.
Ivor
Sorry, guess we had a little disconnect on "cheap".

Put it up on the 4 sale forum...it will probably go fast!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
To properly adjust the preload, according to the owners manual, you should put the bike on the center stand prior to adjustment. Kind of a PIA just to adjust for lean angle. :roll:
Uh... the preload is ON the bike to adjust the ride height. It changes nothing BUT the ride height. He already changed the kickstand... Did the manual tell him to do that? It is SOOOOO hard to adjust, pushing that button one time and all.... Leave it where it works. :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
How about the chrome OM stand...

Why don't you get the chrome OEM version from Honda> It's the same OEM stand only in chrome. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lean Angle on Side Stand

Some may not be an advicate of this but you can take the side stand and bracket that holds the side stand off the bike and remove the large bolt that holds the arm on, just forward of it there is an outward V notch that stops the side stand when you use it. You can take and Grind a small bit of the V off at a time and replace it until you get to the angle you want. It worked on my bike and several other in our club. Just do not remove too much of the V at a time because the side stand will then rotate forward too far and the lean angle will be too much. Just knock off the tip of the V and try it before you grind any more off. I had the directions but can not find them. They came with the Lowering Kit that John Smith from Ohio started making a few years ago. After you lowered it you had to grind the V off a little or your bike would actually fall over the opposite direction. If I can remember the bracket that holds the side stand on has 2 bolts and an electrical connection for the safety switch, takes only about 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts