GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a pair of chaps to help out w/winter riding on the gl1800. I now have the gerbings heated jacket liner which works fantastic. The one part of my body that was pretty cold under fourty degrees or so are my legs, mainly my thigh area. Would anyone recommend getting a pair of leather chaps and trying them out to put over jeans? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have lined chaps and yes they do help when the temps drop...even in the desert here it can be running in the mid thirtys acorss open desert.

So my cold weather gear is lined leather jacket, winter gloves with silk liner, neck gator, lined chaps and remember to not use the road pegs....other wise....cold feet.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have a pair that I had custom fitted several years ago. Now they are dust collectors. I think that with all the new technology today, somehow the chaps seem primative. The HT pants are warmer, offer similiar (or more) protection, and are waterproof. There just seems like so many better choices are out there. If you want to try a pair before you buy let me know and I'll lend you mine. Then you can decide if chaps are your best choice.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've got both for different seasons... armored Joe Rocket mesh for the summer and leather chaps for the winter. Once my weight (waist size) stabilizes (if ever) I'm going to spring for the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants to match my jacket. That way I have one set for all seasons... mesh, textile and with liners, rainproof.

The only downside I've really found to chaps is that if it rains, your butt is going to be cold and wet. They certainly keep me warm otherwise. I've ridden the freeway on the wing while wearing them in below freezing temperatures.

Do yourself a favor if you get chaps though. Don't go cheap. The cheap models often don't fit as well or have thick seams in places where you really don't want them. OTOH, a GOOD pair of chaps will cost almost as much as a good pair of overpants.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Install a seat heater- $70
Get a good set of pants, waterproof
You will be set

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Brian, Last year, I went to a uniform and work clothes store and bought a pair of jeans that were lined with fleece. They work great. When it was extremely cold, I put on nylon bib overalls(Wallyworld $20) and was hot. Today is the first ride of the Polar Bear. Let's see how cold it gets this year.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
One thing I have done that helps is this.

I purchased a pair of loose fitting jeans. Then I bought some good insulated underwear and then put my chaps on over the pants. Now as the day gets warmer I can take the leathers off and still ride in cool weather with the insulated underwear on and be comfortable. It gives you the layered clothing effect. Just and idea. It has worked good for me.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have fleece-lined (zip-out) cordura chaps that come in handy; I loanded them to a guy we rode with yesterday that would've been floppin' around on the ground with hypothermia otherwise.
I can't remember the name of the vendor; I got them from some people that are always at the Sunshine Mall in Daytona. Two initials to the name of their outfit. I think the chaps themselves used to be called Mustangs or Mavericks or something.
Waterproof too and a reflective strip. Easy on, easy off --- for when you need something but overpants are too much.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Try ridding pants that will go on over your regular pants. They offer more warmth and way more protection. Chaps are designed for horse back ridding, I saw some photos of a guy that went down on his bike wearing chaps, he slid on his butt....No protection back there from chaps. Horses usually don't cruise at 60 mph.

The purpose of chaps on horse back, is to keep brush off the cowboys legs and to keep the horse sweat of his legs as well. The kevlar material in ridding pants will help protect you, plus they usually have additional padding.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hennigm4 said:
Try ridding pants that will go on over your regular pants. They offer more warmth and way more protection. Chaps are designed for horse back ridding, I saw some photos of a guy that went down on his bike wearing chaps, he slid on his butt....No protection back there from chaps. Horses usually don't cruise at 60 mph.

The purpose of chaps on horse back, is to keep brush off the cowboys legs and to keep the horse sweat of his legs as well. The kevlar material in ridding pants will help protect you, plus they usually have additional padding.
hennigm4 is right that chaps were originally designed for horseback riding. But who cares, they work great and come off in a jiffy once you no longer need them. I use kevlar jeans all the time and chaps in cold weather riding. I like chaps because of their easy use.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the Eclipse electric vest and chaps which work great. On really cold days I put a snowmobile suit on over them and then most of the time I'm to hot even on below freezing days. I guess the newer ones now have a thermostat in in them which would be nice.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
5Ross;
I just had an ugley thought, Gets warmer and off come the Chaps.
If it gets really warm do you tke off the jeans and ride in long jon's?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Brian
I have chaps, used em for years, wore chaps when I owned horses & rode in the winter.
chaps help, but sometimes I also wear Duo-Fold long jons, when the temps are 32-35 in the morning.
dress in layers so you can peel em off as the temps rise.

Pat G

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
jbales said:
5Ross;
I just had an ugley thought, Gets warmer and off come the Chaps.
If it gets really warm do you tke off the jeans and ride in long jon's?
Good question :wink: :wink: Actually when it gets that warm I have stopped at a filling station and remove the long underwear.. That way no one is embarrassed by my pink long johns.... Wife actually accidently threw them in with some red towels........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Leather Overpants

Look like jeans, zip on over clothes as quick as chaps. Keeps your butt and groin warm and dry, and protected if needed. I have First Gear, my wife got hers off ebay. About $150 for mine, about $100 for hers.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As far as I'm concerned leather is obsolete. I have Gerbings jacket liner and pants and they are fanstatic. I just put them on over my jeans. As the day warms up, I switch them off. As the day gets warmer, I take them off and ride in my jeans.

I have a first class pair of chaps that I wore for many years (like 20). I have not worn them or a leather jacket since I got the Gerbings and the leather never kept me as warm as the Gerbings do.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Let the cows pay

Man made fibers do a great job of insulating. However, in a crash, nothing works like leather. Let the cows pay!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Zonker
your right re: "leather is obsolete", we bought the Honda Millenium jackets last year.
we were in VA a month ago doing the BRP, 42* in the am: I wore a sweatshirt & the millenium jacket for the ride home on rt 81 & I was fine.
did wear my chaps w/ no log jons, did fine @ 75mph :wink:
My point is the Millenium jacket is warmer than a leather :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts