GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a leather jacket, traditional style but I want something tough as nails. I've found a couple of sources for 6oz. (2.5mm thick) buffalo hide, which seems like it would fit the bill.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about buffalo leather? As usual, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
839 Posts
NICE JACKET

Don't know much about buffalo leather, but I thought I would mention this jacket. I'm still buying stuff for when I'm ready to get my bike. Anyway after alot of looking this jacket looks pretty nice. Called the company and got some information on it. Take a look, its not mentioned anywhere I just stumbled onto the site, they are known for there gloves.

www.olympiamotosports.com and the jacket is called the roadmaster which is here

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/roadma ... master.htm

Hope this is some useful info you don't already have.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The wife and I are also looking for a new leather jackets. This time with vents! I been finding a few but get nervous trying to figure out the difference from the $79.00 to the $350+ jackets. Some say leather, but looks and feels like vinyl. This is where online shopping bites! FoxCreek ( www.foxcreekleather.com ) seems to have a good rep and a good (high side) price. I tried on a First Gear leather jacket with removable liner, neck warmer (classic style) jacket and some integrated armor. The downside was that it felt like it weighed 30 lbs and movement was restricted. Still looking, like Storm, looking for recommedations.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Gee's after I read the post I looked mine up and down and can't find a name brand on it anywhere. Mine is HEAVY. So I would advise to try em on which ever you buy. I have air vents in the front in the back, and in the sleeves. Also can make the sleeves smaller on the wrist if you wish, very nice touch when it's cold.
The bottom of the Jacket has elastic type ribbing to hold tight. And a liner that zips. Got mine on sale for $180.00 One of the best investments I ever made.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had good luck with all these folks. They have the real deal. No poser jackets.

http://hudsonleather.com/mcart/ (Hudson Leather - Vest)
http://www.ridewild.com/default.htm (Retail Warehouse - Jacket)
http://www.freedommc.com/ (Freedom Cycle - Jacket)

I got my last jacket from Freedom Cycle. It's a 3/4 length touring jacket with armor, vents, etc. Weighs a ton and is pretty stiff at first like all the good ones are, but after a few wearings they mold to your body. After a couple of months they fit like a second skin. A couple of good coats of mink oil and they shed rain like a duck's back too. Make sure whatever you get has plenty of vents. Riding a Wing you don't get the air blasting on you like some other bikes. Very functional vents make a difference.

My $0.02

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just be careful to get real motorcycle leather, as opposed to like "Wilsons" in the mall. According to the MSF riding course the mall types will last about 6 feet on pavement before your hide starts to peel. Motorcycle leather will last as much as 80 feet before it wears though. Unfortunately that's one reason cycle leather costs so much and weighs so much. I have a "First Gear" and paid $300 but it lasts forever & I'ts pretty comfy if you pull the plastic out of the sleeves and break it in a little. Just my $.02.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
jacket

Stormbringer,
I have been riding since 73, took one major spill in Florida in 87. I had on leather, but it eventually wore thru. Leather is HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter. I sold my leather jacket.
I ride in a Motoport Canyon 2 jacket with armor, it breathes, is comfortable to about 85 degrees. Then it's firstgear mesh/tex for me. I also have a brosh summertime jacket, kevlar with armor. No leather for me.
JD
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out http://www.jaminleather.com/.
They have the best prices I have found.
Two things are real important.
First, the fit. You can’t buy anything via the net that will fit real well.
Second, is the leather. What you get in thickness and ability to absorb punishment, you give away in comfort.
Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Best US hand made leathers you can buy

IMHO By far the best and recognized hand made leather jackets and pants are made in Portland Oregon by a family run business called Langlitz Leathers. If you value your skin and don't want to pay thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$ for skin grafts I recomend that you bite the bullet for the best hand made (tailored to fit you and only you) leathers in the world.

That's Langlitz Leathers in Portland Oregon. Look them up on the web and educate yourself on a family run and operated quality business.

As always I have nothing to gain if you do go to them for jacket or pants.

I had them make me a pair of pants because of my size, using goat leather and they are so comfortable I honestly am wearing them even when not riding.

Whatever you decide to do don't sell youself short and not get the weight and fit that you deserve for looks and saftey.

Buck Yellow Wing

Treat yourself and enjoy the best :lol: 8) :lol: :yw1: You've got the Wing already . Safe and enjoyable riding. :goflag: :goflag:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think Langlitz made the jacket for Marlon Brando in the famous motorcycle gang movie: I can't think of the name of it right now, but you know the one I mean. :? Am I right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been using a First Gear Scout jacket for the last seven years. After break in it's comfortable with lots of vents and storage pockets. I replaced the liner (which is good) with a Gerbings heated jacket liner so I'm comfortable over a broad temp range.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I too have a Firstgear Scout. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Hey piper,I lost the liner for my Scout. Want to sell yours?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Looks like I have even more research to do.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Stormbringer...watch out wearing that buffalo hide...it draws wolves like you cant believe... :lol: :lol: and, you will have to migrate twice a year :p :p

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually had an encounter with a pack of wolves one time. I was camping on my grandfather's land in northern Minnesota, when a small pack decided to check me out. They circled, sniffed and left. I'll never forget the experience, though.

I think I could migrate twice a year without trouble, as long as I get to go to warmer climes in the winter. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a deer skin jacket by Thurlow. I can't say enough good stuff about this jacket. Very tough, warmer in cold, and cooler in heat, than leather. I have one with 8 vents for those really warm days (i.e. hot!). They are a family run business - made in San Diego.

Good luck,

JB

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two Firstgear jackets and several other leather jackets. My number
one pick is any Firstgear product. They may cost more but what the heck,
it's my skin. Sarge from NJ.

·
Registered
156 Posts
http://www.chilhowee.net/index.htm I bought coats and gloves from Chil for my wife and me. No complaints from either of us. The deerskin gloves wear like iron and are really comfotable. (soak them in cold water before wearing to wash out the extra black dye or your hands will be black after wearing) :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts