GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was working on my bike and I heard that sound that makes grown men cry. It was the rattle, tink, clank, ping sound you hear when you drop a screw deep down into the bowels of the Honda Hole. You know the place, that little tiny black hole in the Honda universe just under the handlebars between the tunnel cover and the frame leading down toward the airbox and reverse actuator.

I have really prided myself on not loosing any hardware on (or in) my bike in the past, despite how many times I have taken it apart. I sure hate to have this blemish on my record. Try as I might, I could not see it anywhere. I removed the center black panel above the fog lights, and looked with a bright light, but no luck. I looked for over an hour and finally gave up in disgust and buttoned everything back up and tried to tell myself it would be ok, and it wouldn't end up jamming my throttle while I was attempting to pass a truck on a two lane road. It's only a screw, right? I mean how much damage can it do?

Thoughts of a new 07 Wing start to migrate to the front of my brain. Maybe if I can't find the screw, I can just sell the bike and start over with a new one. I knew that in order to locate it, I was probably going to have to pull the top shelter, gas tank, and air box, which is a pretty big job.

Well, I didn't sleep so good last night, and dreamed about my lost screw and having to remove the engine and split the case to find it. Not a pleasant dream.

So, tonight after work, I came home determined to find it. I first pulled off the black panel and lower cowl. No help. Next came the fairing pockets and tunnel cover. No screw. Then the instrument panel. Then the seat and top shelter. Still no screw. I normally don't cuss, but I am begining to wonder if this might be a good time to start. Oh well, I have gone this far, might as well change the air filter while I am here. I take off the electronics pack and out comes the air box lid. Still can't see the screw. Now I decide that it must have gone either under the airbox or down by the intake manifold. So out comes the gas tank, and of course it is full. Finally, I am to the point I can remove the air box screws, unplug the hoses, and lift the airbox out of the bike frame.

There lies my screw, down under the airbox, not too far away from the throttle linkage.

What started out as a thirty minute task has turned into a three and half hour job and I still am not done yet. I have my bike spread out all over the garage floor and am taking a break before I start to put it all back together. You can bet I won't be dropping any screws when I do.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now Fred, remember your testimony and forget about cussing. All it will do is turn the air blue and not help any other way. Glad you found that rascal screw. At least you now have sympathy (or maybe even empathy) for those who drop things into the black Honda hole!

By the way, did you capture any of this on tape?

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Fred: Far be it from me to suggest a better solution to the Master of the Wrench, but couldn't you just pick up the bike, turn it over and shake it a bunch. Always works for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's amazing what a guy will do for a good screw :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Been there, Done that, got the T-shirt. It's so depressing, then when you find it, it's like Moses parting the seas. Of course, Moses was a lot faster, and at some point made parting the seas look easier :lol: It's almost like a different dimension on a distant planet when I go inside the wing looking for small lost parts. And crying is an option! :wink:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know where to come next time I need my air filter changed...

Hey fred, I have a screw loose .. does that count ?? ... LOL

Glad ya found it..

Ride / take the Wing apart Safely ..... 8)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I never cuss, how ever, I do know several "technical" terms. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Face it, fred you wouldn't recognize you wing if it were not in parts all over the floor. Glad you found the wayward screw. :wink:

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Good description Fred.
But, this is you Fred.
So I think I'll just wait for the movie.
When will you have it out?

Back in 02 I took the gas tank out (and all that other STUFF :roll: ) to change the rear shock. While in there trashing around I found an EXTRA BOLT and I know it was extra because I had every item taken off that bike in cupcake tins (many many cupcake tins :lol: ). I still had that extra bolt when the bike was all back together...but you know....I still remember that @#$% bolt after over 5 years. :lol:
Don't follow Alabama IronButt's thought train for your movie or you'll have to rate it XXX. :eek:
DC

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Fred
dropped a screw into Hondas Black Hole TWICE :oops: :roll:
& the little bas*%$d fell right thru to the floor :lol: :lol:
I said HOLY SH&%$T :!: :!: :) :) :D :D I was a sweatin :!: :!:
I'm SUPER CAREFULL when I work on it now :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Hey Fred, This may not help but be glad you are not paying an hourly rate to find it and put it all back!!!!!

That thought should make it a little more palitable.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Alabama IronButt said:
It's amazing what a guy will do for a good screw :)

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT!!! THAT WAS VERY FUNNY!!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Fred,

Good time to run that 10 gage wire to the front so that you can put a relay to power the left headlight, in the next time the front is apart.

Sorry about the screw. That reminds me, I was in for service today at the dealer and forgot that he owes me a plastic snap button for the right glove box that was missing when the rebuild after the deer strike occurred.

I am trying to visualize how the screw got under the air box.

What color will the 07 be?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Two months ago I lost one of those chrome side covers black rubber grommets from the dip stick side. I crawled under, over, used lights, mirrors, prodded, snaked, scratched my Rx glasses under the frame and even shook the the Wing, but after an hour and temps in the garage in the mid 90's no joy and soaked in sweat.

Wife comes out and ask can she help? 20 seconds later she finds it laying on a ledge near the frame on the Wing!!! GRRRRrrr... :shock:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
cptdenny said:
Wife comes out and ask can she help? 20 seconds later she finds it laying on a ledge near the frame on the Wing!!! GRRRRrrr... :shock:
Now WHY does thay sound SO familiar :?: :?:
DC

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Well, at least when I do it now, I can say " what the heck, Fred did it too"

us common folks will sleep better tonight knowing you're human :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
448 Posts
screw

Great story Fred , Thanks for sharing ,, Now I know you have a screw loose , The mind , a terrible thing to waste , just amazes me , how much we all think alike :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sure does remind me of my AirForce days. It could take an aircraft down for days if you drop something in the right/wrong place. Normally makes shops all across the base happy as they are called to remove equipment. Normally the last screw/bolt that was to fininsh the job. Even with all this, turn an F-15/F16 upside down and shake it and just watch how much falls out..
garys

1 - 20 of 35 Posts