GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any battery issues (bike or fob battery) related to leaving the fob in the storage cubby? I'm not talking about security issues, strictly battery problems.

Background - When I first got the bike I decided I would always warm it up before riding. So I take the fob into the garage, start the bike, come back into the house and change into my riding clothes then take the ride. A couple of times I've realized at the last second that the fob was still in the pocket of my regular clothes as I began the ride. Could be bad if I shut off the bike somewhere. So now I put the fob in the cubby all the time and only take it out when I stop somewhere and want to secure the bike. I'm slightly concerned that I could be stressing out the fob battery or the bike battery.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Really no difference whether the fob is in the cubby and you remove it when you stop or you keep it in one of your riding gear pockets and walk away from the bike when you stop.

Personally I keep it in a pocket of my riding gear as one day I might forget to remove it out of the cubby when stopped.

:doorag:

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
When the bike is home, the fob lives in the cubby.

Sometimes, I shut the fob off, 'just because'.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I velcrode mine to the inside of the cubby and take it out when I leave the bike unless I'm home then I just turn the fob off.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wear mine around my neck

Now we know your 8 digit code -- ends with "0779". If only we could locate your bike and key.:nerd: Hmmmmmm......

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Now we know your 8 digit code -- ends with "0779". If only we could locate your bike and key.:nerd: Hmmmmmm......

Hmmmmm....

The ignition unlock emergency number is 9 digits.

It is not the same as the metal tag number. (which is an 8 digit number; afaik, it is for the lock/key number).

It was on the plastic tag that was attached to FOB.
It was also embedded in the QR code on that plastic tag.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Trinket that came from the dealer. Probably an inventory number.:smile2:

Attachments

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
792 Posts
Now we know your 8 digit code -- ends with "0779". If only we could locate your bike and key./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png Hmmmmmm......

Hmmmmm....

The ignition unlock emergency number is 9 digits.

It is not the same as the metal tag number. (which is an 8 digit number; afaik, it is for the lock/key number).

It was on the plastic tag that was attached to FOB.
It was also embedded in the QR code on that plastic tag.
Ok, so I guess I'm the idiot according to you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Left mine in the cubby for 4 straight months without even starting it. Took the cover off and started right up. No battery tender used.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Ok, so I guess I'm the idiot according to you
Nope, and certainly didn't intend to offend.

I figured you were just poking fun....

But since the idea/concept of emergency number was brought up I was only hoping to clarify that the 8 digit metal tag isn't the emergency number and that the numbers are more than 8 digits.

We have had other threads where owners weren't even given the plastic tag and had recorded the number on metal tag thinking it was for emergencies.

Better to find out before it's needed.

As the saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished". Guess I shouldn't try and be helpful.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nope, and certainly didn't intend to offend.

I figured you were just poking fun....

But since the idea/concept of emergency number was brought up I was only hoping to clarify that the 8 digit metal tag isn't the emergency number and that the numbers are more than 8 digits.

We have had other threads where owners weren't even given the plastic tag and had recorded the number on metal tag thinking it was for emergencies.

Better to find out before it's needed.

As the saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished". Guess I shouldn't try and be helpful.

That was a type-o, I intended to type a "9". Had I known **** was going to come crashing down for that mistake I would not have typed anything. Too often people on this forum have to prove they're smarter than someone else. That never turns out to be helpful for anyone. And yes, I'm also fully aware of the silver metal key tag. :trike:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 fobs, one always in my riding jacket and the other in an RF proof container near the bike in the garage in case I want to move it. The RF proof container?? A cleaned up Altoid can. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts