GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished replacing all the bulbs, (running/turn and running/stop) on my 01 GL1800. To begin with they are brighter than the old standard bulbs. Incidentally the type # for both the old and new bulbs is 7443. I have seen a couple of posts on the forum asking about this. I bought the LED bulbs, (red and amber) from autolumination. They have been very helpful and shipping is fairly rapid coming within a few days. The LED bulbs are a bit pricey but they fit all sockets on the bike and there are a number of different types with varying # of LED's.
You might have to rotate the LED bulb 180 degrees axially if it does not function the first time you place it in the socket. One thing I did learn was to remove all of the old bulbs first. Another thing I learned is that the bulbs, having a plastic base can be difficult to remove without damaging the bulb itself. Place the bulb partway in the socket and then test before you seat it completely. The LED's will not function as a running light but will light with brake application or flashing signal if there is even one old bulb in a socket. Also replace one bulb at a time so there is no confusion. I replaced all the running/turn bulbs first and then the running/stop checking each bulbs function before moving on to the next. I do have a rapid flash situation now with the LED running/turn signals but presently don't consider this a problem. My bulb flash signal is different than the other bikes/cages on the road and right now I view this as an advantage. The flash rate is similar to that if you have a burned out bulb on your cage. Hope this helps those who are thinking about going to LED's.
http://autolumination.com

There is an alternative to the LED turn signal bulb that is a glass bulb with a convex magnifier at the rounded end called a POLARG bulb and they are sold by xtreme white. If I determine the rapid flash is a problem I may try these. They cost about $10 less than the LED's I used.
http://xtremewhite.com

·
Registered
638 Posts
In six full seasons of riding my '01 and 90000 miles I have yet to need to replace any bulb other than a headlight bulb. At $25 each these bulbs are not cost effective.

·
Registered
146 Posts
bulbs

:? Why the f---k would I want to replace my good light bulbs with good light bulbs?????

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why the F*&%k do you think he cares what you think??????

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: bulbs

Joe1 said:
:? Why the f---k would I want to replace my good light bulbs with good light bulbs?????
This has been discussed many times before. LED's require less current than conventional bulbs which helps your charging system and not to mention your wiring. The best benefit is they come on much faster than a conventional bulb which translates to more time for the person following you to react.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: bulbs

GL_Bob said:
... The best benefit is they come on much faster than a conventional bulb which translates to more time for the person following you to react.
You're kidding, right?
:roll:

If that's the best benefit, I think I'll keep my slow stock bulbs for awhile longer.

Dennis

·
Registered
43 Posts
amandabiker - Ken,
Thanks for the report Bub. I'm certain there are many beside me that were waiting for someone to make it simple. Every time I see the punch that LED lamps add to the running/brake/turn signal lighting on other vehicles I think, " I gotta do that." Unfortunately I'm not indomitable (merely flesh and bones) and anything I can do to make some inattentive driver notice me sharing the roadway I'm going to do. Hey, maybe I'm wrong... but I seem to see LED lighting on autos used more and more these days and apparently, it's not because it's cheaper.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
if just all six tail lite bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs would everything work rite ?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ken - just a quick question for you. You said that you now have a rapid flash situation with the LED's. From what I understand this may be preventing the LED's from coming to full brightness. The situation is cause by the new bulbs not drawing enough current to make the old flasher work properly. There is an electronic flasher that will cure this and allow the bulbs to come to full brightness when flashing. I may be all wet on this but it may be something to think about. :?:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Thank you very much for your write up. I bought some and put one in. It was defintley not as bright as the stock bulbs. However you explained why I think. I still have them and will do one at a time. I was just about to return them. Dont let the negative people on the board get to you, they are miserable people. The biggest reason I want to replace mine is the lower draw across the board on my electrical system. I run alot of stuff, not alot of lights but Gerbings, GPS, Radar, Grips etc. I can see the draw really go up when I apply my brakes and activate the standard filament bulbs. More and more cars and trucks are going to LED for the fact they are safer and never need replacing. Again, Thanks alot for your help.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I will go with the LED bulbs when they are DOT approved. Right now they are labeled for "off-road use only" :cry:

They are not bright enough for on-road use.
It's the bulb..not the flasher,that causes the dim light output. :shock:

later..Randy

TOYO..I'm not miserable :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Man! Somma these guys lie like snakes ready to strike and strike every chance they get.

Luxean LED's are different then your regular 5mm LED. A one watter produces roughly five times the light of a single 5mm. The bulbs that amandabiker put in take care of the LED in an INCANDESCENT designed reflector problem. In the old days of LED bulbs, they WERE miserable because they did not use the reflector surface of the light (see pic). These new ones indeed use the reflective surface and fill the lens.

For bangladave: LED's are either on or off, there's no warm up time. FULL ON or FULL OFF. They are not like incandescents which require warm up time to produce full brightness. amandabiker is indeed right about the rapid flash - full on - full off. However, there may be some problem with "imitating an emergency vehicle" laws if you run into a LEO that didn't have his donut fix yet.

Those bulbs do indeed require deep pockets, that's for sure....

·
Registered
156 Posts
LED's have come a long way in the last couple of years. There are many LED assemblys for motor vehicles that are DOT approved. I'm not sure about individual bulb replacements. Like amandabiker said, the ones he is using are not the older dim ones, they emit light in all directions and use the reflector just like the origional bulb. They are also BRIGHTER than the origional. There are some high-end cars now using LED HEADLIGHTS, that alone should demonstrate the recent developements in technology.

Bob

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LED replacement bulbs

I stand by my original post but have to agree with some things that were posted.

The bulbs are pricey and not cost effective. That said I will state my primary motive was a safety issue and to make the bike more visible, in all situations, to cagers.

The original bulbs were good and functioned without problem and had never been replaced. That said I will state my primary motive was a safety issue and to make the bike more visible, in all situations, to cagers.

LED's are not DOT approved except for off road use. I have to admit I was and am not aware of this. I would ask if this is a federal or state DOT issue? I really would like to have this information as I don't want to flout the law. That said I will state my primary motive was a safety issue and to make the bike more visible, in all situations, to cagers.

I am not trying to be sarcastic here or to flame anyone on this board. I think that takes away from the issue posted. I admit that I am a "newbie" here but will say that I post or PM on issues that I am concerned about and read most posts even though the post may not be something concerning me or my bike. I don't put as many miles on my bike as most of you but I enjoy my rides immensely no matter where I go and will not give up riding until I just can't ride safely anymore. On days when I am feeling stressed or down I get on the bike and go and within a few minutes all is right with the world again. I don't do a lot of work on the bike myself but have been lucky with a superb shop and do not mind paying the price for competent work. I have never had a complaint issue with Garret Honda of Kenner.

Thanks everyone for the responses and I will continue to respond to any and all posts and PM's.

Take care all and ride safe. :)

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
GL_Bob said:
LED's have come a long way in the last couple of years. There are many LED assemblys for motor vehicles that are DOT approved. I'm not sure about individual bulb replacements. Like amandabiker said, the ones he is using are not the older dim ones, they emit light in all directions and use the reflector just like the origional bulb. They are also BRIGHTER than the origional. There are some high-end cars now using LED HEADLIGHTS, that alone should demonstrate the recent developements in technology.

Bob
Bob,

There is no such thing as a LED headlight on automobiles. Are you confusing a HID light?

later..Randy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bob,

There is no such thing as a LED headlight on automobiles. Are you confusing a HID light?

later..Randy
Just because you havent heard of or don't know about a certain technology doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Yes, I do mean LED and I do know the difference. I'm not in the habit of having to prove what I know, but if it comes to that, I will see if I can find the articles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yellowtrike said:
The following is an article from the Auto Channel about LED automobile headlights:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2003 ... 60176.html
And since that article was written, LED's have made a major leap forward in that they have exceeded the lumens per watt of flourescent lights. Lumiled's LUXEON was the most efficient until a couple months ago when Cree and shortly thereafter Seoul Semiconductor released their latest high flux emitters. There is a revolution in lighting going on and is changing the way we light things up.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Very true Bob. If one wants to do some research and educate themselves just start googling. I recieve a magazine for the auto repair business each month. It would blow your mind what is in the pipe line. How about a new technology that is going to detect the amount of rain hitting the windsjield via a prism like system in the glass. It will then determine the wiper speed and vary your speed according to the conditions. Or if a UV sensor detects high levels of solar heat inside the cabin an electric driven a/c system will start up and keep your car cool while you are inside a restuarant eating lunch. I do have to say that most of this technology is being developed by Lexus. They have some really neat stuff coming up very soon. Why did I have to get started on this???? :roll:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts