GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the LED headlamp burn out on your 2018+ model yet?

I know that LED lasts longer than the H7 bulb on the older version Wing, but "nothing lasts forever".

Just wondering about the cost and degree of difficulty of replacing the LED compared to the H7 bulb.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's not serviceable so I would expect that to be covered by the warranty. My Durango has LED taillights that cost over a thousand dollars, but since they're not serviceable they are covered by the OEM and now MOPAR extended warranty.

FYI, the Goldwing headlight is a sealed unit and the only option is to buy a new one and install it yourself for over $1,800 (or add a couple of hundred for labor to have the shop do it for you).

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not serviceable so I would expect that to be covered by the warranty. My Durango has LED taillights that cost over a thousand dollars, but since they're not serviceable they are covered by the OEM and now MOPAR extended warranty.

FYI, the Goldwing headlight is a sealed unit and the only option is to buy a new one and install it yourself for over $1,800 (or add a couple of hundred for labor to have the shop do it for you).
Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anyone had the LED headlamp burn out on your 2018+ model yet?

I know that LED lasts longer than the H7 bulb on the older version Wing, but "nothing lasts forever".

Just wondering about the cost and degree of difficulty of replacing the LED compared to the H7 bulb.
I've never replaced any led headlights in my other vehicles. Have you? Seems rare for one to go out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are you kidding me?
I was wrong. My bad...

...it's $2,102.54 + tax and installation!

This is true for cars too, really any vehicle with sealed LED headlight housings. LEDs are very reliable and generally impervious to the vibration that's the bane of any filament-based light source. If it gets hit by a rock then your insurance should cover it minus your deductible.

Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Why should anyone be surprised by the cost? The Goldwing is a highly refined and complicated machine. If you want to wrench everything yourself, buy a Harley.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Why should anyone be surprised by the cost? The Goldwing is a highly refined and complicated machine. If you want to wrench everything yourself, buy a Harley.
I think it has something to do with the relative cost should a headlight go out. Before, if you blew a light it cost you $20 and 10 minutes of your life. Now, in the unlikely event one or more of the LED elements fail, you're out two thousand plus. If you do the work yourself, it'll take hours because almost all the Tupperware forward of the panniers needs to come to access it. Or, you could pay a shop a couple of hundred more to do all that for you.

It's just a case of severe sticker shock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think it has something to do with the relative cost should a headlight go out. Before, if you blew a light it cost you $20 and 10 minutes of your life. Now, in the unlikely event one or more of the LED elements fail, you're out two thousand plus. If you do the work yourself, it'll take hours because almost all the Tupperware forward of the panniers needs to come to access it. Or, you could pay a shop a couple of hundred more to do all that for you.

It's just a case of severe sticker shock.
The good thing is it's likely you'll never need to touch it.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The headlight assy is cheaper than the windshield on my wife’s Subaru Outback with eyesight. The windshield is probably cheaper to make.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The good thing is it's likely you'll never need to touch it.
I've been wanting a vehicle with LED headlights for years now despite the potential, though highly unlikely, cost to replace. The couple of times I've ridden at night have been great though I do wish they could account for lean.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Things like this make me hate the thought of owning something like this out of warranty. Just dont see the value it brings to the table, as compared to its cost. Some just dont have the need to trade bikes every few years to keep a warranty. It will be a huge expense on your dime in the future.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I realize that the $2K replacement cost for a headlight is not an issue for the "first owner". After all, your Goldwing is still under warranty, so it doesn't effect you personally. I get it.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,565 Posts
This headlight does look very nice..and the white light it produces looks very nice..but the headlight doesn't work any better than the old wings headlight and the cost of this LED headlight is just so high...it would had been better to have a headlight housing simlar to the old wings with LED bulbs like they have now for the old wing...you still would have had to take the bike apart in the event of failure, but at least you could had replaced the LED bulb for not alot of money...hopefully these LED headlight units that Honda used will prove very reliable...so far it looks like they will be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Typical LED headlamp life is 20,000+ hours. If you rode 8 hours a day, you'd burn it out in 2,500 days.
I'd not worry about it at all.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I keep reading stuff like that on packages of light bulbs I buy for my house but I sure change them out a lot.…. I’ll just leave it at that.
I couldn't count the number of 7-13 year bulbs I've replaced in the first 12 months. Because they're designed to last that long dont mean that they will.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had LEDs in every fixture of my house for 6 1/2 years (figure 20-25 total). To date only one has failed that that one was hooked to non-LED compatible switch.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts